Who Wears A Vest?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!

Do you wear a fishing vest?

Yes
36%
No
45%
Sometimes
15%
I don't have to tell you anything!!
3%

Total votes: 33

robtf

Who Wears A Vest?

Post by robtf » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:32 pm

I don't see a way to do a "poll" here... but just curious. While I have a couple of vests, I haven't used them in years (not that I'm doing all that much fw fishing in places
where I "would have" used them, but I digress...)

I've got a fanny pack and 2 different sling packs (one for salt flyfishing, one for fw flyfishing) that I use pretty much anytime
I'm not cruising the surf in my 4runner.
----

living in the land of clammies

Twism86

Re: Who Wears A Vest?

Post by Twism86 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:52 pm

I have a vest and wear it occasionally. I have a fanny pack as well, or a small backpack, which I use more. I just load it up with what I will be using that day. The vest hangs in the closet and hold most of fly boxes, that's really its main use.

Also, I added a poll for you. Did you see the option towards the bottom of the page (next to "Attachments")?
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:34 pm

I'd depends on how deep I am wading and where I may be fishing. I wear a vest a waist pack or just carry a few things with neither.

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:54 pm

I wear a vest when fly fishing but carry a creel when spin fishing. Old habits die hard.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:28 pm

I haven't worn a vest ever since my wife bought me a lanyard a few years ago. I don't carry much as it is, so the lanyard works just fine. Plus, much more fashionable :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Lee Wulff invented the fishing vest , if it's good enough for him , it's good enough for me .

46er

Post by 46er » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 pm

I use a small chest pack, take as little as possible with me.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 am

Went to a sling pack last year and really like it. Only issue was wading deep one day on the Delaware. That's out of character for me as I typically wade very shallow so I'm pleased with it. Of course they do have waterproof slings, but I find them a bit more bulky and harder to zip in and out of. I went with a smaller sized sling, and I'm liking that decision because I'm no longer carrying around 10 fly boxes I never use.

robtf

Post by robtf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40 am

Twism86 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:52 pm
I have a vest and wear it occasionally. I have a fanny pack as well, or a small backpack, which I use more. I just load it up with what I will be using that day. The vest hangs in the closet and hold most of fly boxes, that's really its main use.

Also, I added a poll for you. Did you see the option towards the bottom of the page (next to "Attachments")?
thanks!

I don't see the option below (as I type this)... I'll try looking at a new post

edit: yes, I see it now.... will keep that in mind for the future ! :lol: 8-)
----

robtf

Post by robtf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:43 am

Dave B. wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:54 pm
I wear a vest when fly fishing but carry a creel when spin fishing. Old habits die hard.
OMG... a creel... you are OLD AS DIRT Dave :mrgreen:

A wicker creel brings back my oldest memories of fishing as my dad used one and would come home after opening day with his trout
----

robtf

Post by robtf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:47 am

I'm not saying a vest is "bad", I still have mine, but I've just taken to storing related "stuff" in the sling packs and fanny pack so I can grab and go for trout, warmwater, or saltwater, pond, surf or river. I think if I was just focusing on fly fishing for trout, I'd still be using my vest a lot more, just a guess.
----

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:43 pm

I wear a vest most of the time. It has my staff and net right were I need them plus everything I need and more (too much more). But I like it.

I do have a chest pack that I wear instead for my small stream, bushwacking adventures.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I'll wear a vest under my sport coat on special occasions only. I prefer a nice patterned front and a silk or satin black back...Then on to some avocado toast and a good beard trimming.. ;)

Fishpond pack..vests are for old men and women.. :D :D :D :D

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:27 pm

I haven't worn a vest in years. I use an Orvis waterproof sling pack. I agree with the prior comment that they are stiffer than non waterproof ones and the zipper is harder to pull. They are however completely water proof. I spilled a bottle of orange juice in mine and did not lose a drop. :D

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:18 pm

I wear a vest that contains just about everything related to fly fishing that I've accumulated over the past 60 plus years and it ways a ton but I'm not about to change at this point.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:24 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Fishpond pack..vests are for old men
Watch out about who you're calling old son.....
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:12 pm

I use a large chest pack (William Joseph) which replaced vests for me a few years ago. I can't imagine going back. I carry more crap than the law allows, so I have the large one with storage front and back. The magnetic openings allow fast in and out with one finger. I regularly carry 6 fly boxes, my regular glasses or sunglasses, a first aid kit, and everything you would need to guide a couple of clients all day which is far more than most any single angler would need in a week. For the salt, I use a much smaller, front side only chest pack. Salty fly fishing is far less complex than is trout fishing.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:21 pm

I finally retired my 20 year old LL Bean vest. That thing was awesome and carried everything plus 10 beers. I tried different packs but the always felt cumbersome, so I always went back to the musty, moldy, beer vest. This year I got a reddington and love it. I quit drinking so I don't have to worry about carrying beer anymore.

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 pm

robtf wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:43 am
Dave B. wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:54 pm
OMG... a creel... you are OLD AS DIRT Dave :mrgreen:

A wicker creel brings back my oldest memories of fishing as my dad used one and would come home after opening day with his trout
LOL! Yeah, I am getting up there Rob, but I was referring to an old school 'Arctic Creel' not the wicker type. I need plenty of room for all my spinners, lures, salmon eggs, hemostats, old school Mustad 9260-D hooks, split shots, etc etc. BTW those damn hooks are getting harder and harder to find! I only have 2 online sources for them now, use to be able to pick them up in most bait & tackle shops.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:24 pm
lightenup wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Fishpond pack..vests are for old men
Watch out about who you're calling old son.....
If you can call me son, you old!!!