Best fly line for striped bass

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
Bob J

Best fly line for striped bass

Post by Bob J » Tue May 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Which brand intermediate fly lines do you all like for striper fishing? I have an orvis line that I hate. The last 20 ft or so is like double the thickness. It's supposed to be good for something but it sucks. It never lays flat in the striping basket.

Twism86

Re: Best fly line for striped bass

Post by Twism86 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:49 am

Well I dont fish saltwater so Im no real help but I would suggest looking at Rio lines. They have specialty lines for just about everything! Their steelhead and nymph specialty lines are fantastic. I have switched all my other lines to them as well. When Rusty Spinner gets back from his drinking weekend Im sure he can chime in!

Tom
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Outback

Post by Outback » Fri May 10, 2019 11:50 am

Most lines don’t lay flat in the stripping basket unless it’s braided mono.
Air temperatures have a lot to do the lines limp ness.
I still favor the 3M Masterly Striper lines.
Every one now make lines for stripers
It depends if you want a cold water line or a warm water or tropical line. I’d stay away from the warm / tropical lines here in NJ or the NE

Outback

Post by Outback » Fri May 10, 2019 11:54 am

Rio
Cartland
3M
Wulff
Airflow
All manufacturers of quality intermediate lines
Just buy one and fish it .

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Fri May 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks guys. I went with a Rio Intouch striper line. Will put ir hrough its paces shortly.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 14, 2019 8:47 am

I've been fishing either 36' Rio intermediate shooting heads on my two-handed rod attached to 120' level floating line by Airflow or a 90' Sci Angler intermediate sink on my regular 9 foot 9 weight. Fly line develops a memory when left on the reel over long periods of time. The first thing I do - fresh or salt - is to stretch my fly lines to remove most of the memory so they behave better when casting. That will also help lay your line flatter in your stripping basket. But having a head about twice the thickness of the running line above it is normal. Remember, in fly fishing it's the fly line that you cast, not the fly. Unlike spin gear where your big metal spoon or wood plug loads your rod on the cast, with a fly rod it's that heavy head on your fly line business end that loads the rod. The fly you choose is just along for the ride.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 am

Thanks - I used to fish with shooting heads, but I never liked the hinge, and the running line has formed one too many grooves in my fingers. The last 20 feet of this line was engineered to be thicker so you could feel how much line you have out at night (I guess). I think it also glows in the dark. Useless. I enjoy casting almost as much as the catching (which rarely occurs) so I want the rig to be perfect. We'll see about this new line now that the weather seems to have turned.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Bob J wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 am
Thanks - I used to fish with shooting heads, but I never liked the hinge, and the running line has formed one too many grooves in my fingers. The last 20 feet of this line was engineered to be thicker so you could feel how much line you have out at night (I guess). I think it also glows in the dark. Useless. I enjoy casting almost as much as the catching (which rarely occurs) so I want the rig to be perfect. We'll see about this new line now that the weather seems to have turned.
That's the tapered head like all fly lines have, floating or sinking or intermediate. That heavier section is the "head" and it slowly or quickly - depending on design - tapers into a level fly line all the way to your backing. So most fly lines are 90' with either a double taper which is popular for many because they can reverse the head and tail of the line if it wears a lot on the one side because there are two heads on those lines, or they have a single taper on only one side. The tapers can be things like "rocket" tapers or more subtle tapers, but all fly lines are fatter near the leader end which is what loads your rod for the cast. Strip out 30 feet and you will see that the running line which is the last 60+ feet is all the same diameter which is smaller than the head by far. Intermediate sink lines require a decent sized head to sink whereas floating lines will not. But you can tell day or night when your fly is getting close as you begin to feel the larger head of the line in your fingers as you strip in the fly.

Hopefully your new, integrated intermediate sinking line will work well for you! I never had issues with my Scientific Angler 9 weight line. Not sure what running line you used with shooting heads, but things like gelspun poly can really tear you up. I'm not up on the latest/greatest for my two hander, but the Airflow floating, 120' level fly line never cuts me bad. I hate any time that happens and I know the pain! :)

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 am

Thanks - it was definitely the poly. I came back from a Montauk Albie trip swearing I would never throw it again. Of course I did, the next week on a boat off the tip of the hook, and watched it sink 70 feet to the bottom shipping channel, along with my rod and reel because I forgot to pull the line in when we took off for the next spot. I had put the rod down with about 5 feet of line dangling in the water...once we took off my running line issues were solved for good!

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Fri May 17, 2019 6:54 am

Threw the new line out front last night. It performed perfectly and I was also treated to some pods of dolphins moving through.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 am

Bob J wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:54 am
Threw the new line out front last night. It performed perfectly and I was also treated to some pods of dolphins moving through.
Nice! No line cuts I assume? An integrated intermediate sink line is by far the most versatile line you can use in NJ saltwater. Get into any of the big choppers? The blues are back this year from what I keep reading. A buddy went out for seabass this weekend and never left the pods of blues which were more fun on light tackle if not as good eating.

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Tue May 21, 2019 4:43 pm

No cuts or blues! The day I was out I heard a lot about blues in the wash but none for me.

robtf

Post by robtf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:47 am
I've been fishing either 36' Rio intermediate shooting heads on my two-handed rod attached to 120' level floating line by Airflow or a 90' Sci Angler intermediate sink on my regular 9 foot 9 weight. Fly line develops a memory when left on the reel over long periods of time. The first thing I do - fresh or salt - is to stretch my fly lines to remove most of the memory so they behave better when casting. That will also help lay your line flatter in your stripping basket. But having a head about twice the thickness of the running line above it is normal. Remember, in fly fishing it's the fly line that you cast, not the fly. Unlike spin gear where your big metal spoon or wood plug loads your rod on the cast, with a fly rod it's that heavy head on your fly line business end that loads the rod. The fly you choose is just along for the ride.
I had a chance to cast a 12'6" Ross spey rod last night for the first time, and all I have to say is "wow"!

First cast for me was easy 50'+... imagine with experience! :lol:
----

living in the land of clammies

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm

robtf wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
I had a chance to cast a 12'6" Ross spey rod last night for the first time, and all I have to say is "wow"!

The biggest mistake I make and others I see make with two handed rods are trying to do too much with them. Their shear length and strength will allow you to toss a ton of line if you just finesse it instead of trying to muscle it.

robtf

Post by robtf » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm
robtf wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

The biggest mistake I make and others I see make with two handed rods are trying to do too much with them. Their shear length and strength will allow you to toss a ton of line if you just finesse it instead of trying to muscle it.
The ease with which I could cast was most surprising. My friend showed me a basic D cast and the line shot out effortlessly.

Definitely "on my list" but I have to unload some things before even thinking about it. But for the shore this is a game changer fly rod, if my first impression is correct.

I think I remember reading you post something along those lines, though it could have been someone else :D
----

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm

robtf wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm
But for the shore this is a game changer fly rod, if my first impression is correct.

I think I remember reading you post something along those lines, though it could have been someone else :D
It is 100%. But there have been days where the fish are right in the trough in front of your feet and then the two-hander is a PITA. In those rare instances, I prefer a straight one handed 9 or 10 weight in a 9 foot rod. But 99% of the time, you want that extra distance that only a two-hander can toss.

robtf

Post by robtf » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm
robtf wrote:
But for the shore this is a game changer fly rod, if my first impression is correct.

It is 100%. But there have been days where the fish are right in the trough in front of your feet and then the two-hander is a PITA. In those rare instances, I prefer a straight one handed 9 or 10 weight in a 9 foot rod. But 99% of the time, you want that extra distance that only a two-hander can toss.
correct... and structure is the best way to fish, not requiring distance. HOWEVER, there have been many times when they were just "out there", needing distance. Especially in the front surf... though certainly not all the time.
----

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:47 am

robtf wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:45 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm
robtf wrote:

correct... and structure is the best way to fish, not requiring distance. HOWEVER, there have been many times when they were just "out there", needing distance. Especially in the front surf... though certainly not all the time.
The other thing I like about two hand is in heavy winds. I put on an ultra fast sink (750) or at least fast sink of 500 or so and sidearm it out there far enough to fly fish in a direct or strong quartering toward wind. That comes from shooting a 36' head out there which my one piece 9 weight just can't do.