Toms River

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
robtf

Toms River

Post by robtf » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am

Has anyone fished the Toms lately? I wondered how the rainbows holdover there nowadays?

Yes, it's hot, but normally the drier the weather, the cooler the Toms runs in the TCA due to upstream springs.
Heavy showers and rising waters usually warm it up, but the steam temps drop again fairly rapidly.

Since this is my closest "holdover" water, was thinking about giving it a go, but I haven't fished it since
the changeover to rainbows (yes, it's been that long).

If no trout, there are always panfish and pics to be found...but I was hoping to run into salmonids. I just
confess to not understanding where these 'bows go after stocking in a stream like the Toms, or if they
hold over well at all, away from their more normal haunts of freestoners like North Joisey.
----

living in the land of clammies

Johnw

Re: Toms River

Post by Johnw » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:02 pm

It's been about a year since I've been there due to being busy and the water being way too high for most of the last few months.

robtf

Re: Toms River

Post by robtf » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Thanks, John. Yes, I haven't even checked the gauges, but figured as much since our local ponds have been so high.

Still, the question remains, as I'm hoping to pick a time to go after a dry week and see. Have a few nice muddler minnows waiting to try :lol:
----

living in the land of clammies