Traveling with Fly Fishing Gear

Trout fishing outside of NJ
mjd22

Traveling with Fly Fishing Gear

Post by mjd22 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 am

Heading out west this summer for the first time to the Grand Tetons. Normally pack all my stuff in a checked bag, but want to pack light and was thinking of putting some of my stuff in a carry on to keep the size of my checked bag down.

Anyone have experience taking their loaded fly boxes through security in a backpack? Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Pete

Re: Traveling with Fly Fishing Gear

Post by Pete » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Nothing to do with security but...
After transporting fishing tackle on an aircraft, check all the screws on the reel(s).
There's something about the vibrations on a plane that aren't good for keeping little screws tight.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Send it UPS store to UPS store, and yes there's a UPS store right in Jackson Hole . I think alot of people do this and it's one less thing to worry about when your going through airports . Just call the ups store in Jackson and let them it's coming and to hold it for you . You can insure it , it's got a tracking number easy peazy

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:04 pm

I carry my rods, reels get checked in my suitcase and packed between clothing..DO NOT carry a vise on with you as it will be seized and thrown out.I watched it happen to a good friend. It was just the head too, not the base. The only thing I have ever had broken was a net that was in my suitcase...probably a dumb idea...If you put a vice base in your checked bag, put your weed ;) somewhere else, your bag will be searched as a large solid object will come up on the x-ray...or USPS or UPS, i usually do that with my waders and boots...

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:04 pm
I carry my rods, reels get checked in my suitcase and packed between clothing..DO NOT carry a vise on with you as it will be seized and thrown out.I watched it happen to a good friend. It was just the head too, not the base. The only thing I have ever had broken was a net that was in my suitcase...probably a dumb idea...If you put a vice base in your checked bag, put your weed ;) somewhere else, your bag will be searched as a large solid object will come up on the x-ray...or USPS or UPS, i usually do that with my waders and boots...
Did the vise get tossed in Newark or out West?

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 pm

It got tossed in Newark, by a Russian TSA agent...he said, and I quote..."dis could be veapon in hands of person"....I thought my friend, and yours was going to punch him, but cooler heads prevailed...

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 am

lightenup wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 pm
It got tossed in Newark, by a Russian TSA agent...he said, and I quote..."dis could be veapon in hands of person"....I thought my friend, and yours was going to punch him, but cooler heads prevailed...
Did they give you the chance to leave the line with the item to mail it back to your home?

I know after waiting in a long line with not much time before your flight, this isn’t feasible to leave, mail and return back to the long line.

I like the mailing rods/reels/flies ahead, but it is an added expense, but cheaper than replacement if tossed.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 am
lightenup wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 pm
Did they give you the chance to leave the line with the item to mail it back to your home?

I know after waiting in a long line with not much time before your flight, this isn’t feasible to leave, mail and return back to the long line.

I like the mailing rods/reels/flies ahead, but it is an added expense, but cheaper than replacement if tossed.
The option was available, but the security line was waaaaaay too long to go back, check it in the bags and wait the line again, which he said is what needed to be done...

mjd22

Post by mjd22 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:33 pm

I have shipped UPS in the past when fishing down in the keys with larger rods. Probably just going to carry on the rods and pack the rest of my stuff. Thanks for all the replies.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:43 am

I can't remember the last time I flew commercially and did NOT have at least one 4 piece fly rod and reel and flies with me. I carry on a backpack because you don't have any added fees on any airlines with a regular backpack, and in it are my flies and reels. The rod(s) I just put in the overhead bin during flight with any other carry-on bag I may be traveling with. My rod tubes are too long to fit inside the backpack, but I've had zero issues since 9/11 flying like that on any airline or with TSA at any airport.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Flyzlo

Post by Flyzlo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 am

Like Brian, I've had no issues with carry on. Flies, reels, extra spools and 4 piece rods haven't been a problem. My favorite bonefish rod is my 9' 2 peice Sage which can draw some stares and occasionally gets flight attendants a little excited, but even then it fits in most overhead compartments or can get stashed under the back row of seats. Because of the length I'll purposely carry it at the gates at a 45 degree angle so I don't draw attention or poke somebody with it. I also have my name and address plus some TU stickers on it so any casual observers can deduce it's just a well travelled fishing rod and not a long pipe bomb. EWR TSA have occasionally asked me to open it, but anywhere else hasn't batted an eye.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:36 am

Flyzlo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 am
Like Brian, I've had no issues with carry on. Flies, reels, extra spools and 4 piece rods haven't been a problem. My favorite bonefish rod is my 9' 2 peice Sage which can draw some stares and occasionally gets flight attendants a little excited, but even then it fits in most overhead compartments or can get stashed under the back row of seats. Because of the length I'll purposely carry it at the gates at a 45 degree angle so I don't draw attention or poke somebody with it. I also have my name and address plus some TU stickers on it so any casual observers can deduce it's just a well travelled fishing rod and not a long pipe bomb. EWR TSA have occasionally asked me to open it, but anywhere else hasn't batted an eye.
Yeah, I bailed on carrying my 2 piece rods in the days and months and years after 9/11 when TSA had a serious butt pucker going and for good reason. But when I did, the flight attendants sometimes would put them in the first class closet for coats and I just grabbed it on my way off the plane if they didn't fit into the overhead compartments. They should on larger commercial planes, but some of the smaller planes they may not. So any 4 piece rod of around 9' is going to be fine for all planes in the overhead. And I have my name and contact info on all my rod tubes on labels from my P-touch.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:41 am

Late to the party, as usual. My experience is different. I have had TSA make me check carried on rods. I have had this happen in Newark, and overseas (Ireland). After it the second time it happened, we purchased fishing travel luggage. Specifically this:
https://fishpondusa.com/grand-teton-rolling-luggage and its predecessor. We travel extensively for fishing and we have never had a problem. In addition to not having to worry about our rods, reels, boots, waders etc...all of that stuff is in a convenient rolling bag. It is cheaper to check a bag than to send stuff via USPS or UPS or FedEx. The likelihood of theft is about the same.
Of course
YMMV

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:41 am
Late to the party, as usual. My experience is different. I have had TSA make me check carried on rods. I have had this happen in Newark, and overseas (Ireland). After it the second time it happened, we purchased fishing travel luggage.
TSA lists rod holders as approved for carry on. I would print that out and keep it with you should that ever happen again to you. I did that right after 9/11, but things quickly quieted down in that area after a bit. However, they do mention that some airlines may have restrictions due to size constraints, but as far as TSA is concerned, rod carriers are fine as carry on. It amazes me how little some TSA employees know the rules and regulations.....but show them a print out from their own federal website and you can get them to change their minds I have found.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 am
Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Late to the party, as usual. My experience is different. I have had TSA make me check carried on rods. I have had this happen in Newark, and overseas (Ireland). After it the second time it happened, we purchased fishing travel luggage.
TSA lists rod holders as approved for carry on. I would print that out and keep it with you should that ever happen again to you. I did that right after 9/11, but things quickly quieted down in that area after a bit. However, they do mention that some airlines may have restrictions due to size constraints, but as far as TSA is concerned, rod carriers are fine as carry on. It amazes me how little some TSA employees know the rules and regulations.....but show them a print out from their own federal website and you can get them to change their minds I have found.
So, yes. However, the printout of the rules that I showed to the inspector in Ireland didn't care, and wasn't going to let me through with the rod tubes. Much like interactions with LEO's all it takes is one who wants to ruin your day. Once we purchased fishing specific luggage, we never went back to carrying on rods. BTW carrying on an extra pair of socks and an extra pair of underwear is much more useful than carrying on your rods.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:11 am

Just made a trip to the UK... carried 8' 4-pc rod/case, reel, and fly box in my backpack both ways with no issue at all. The rod case stuck out of the backpack about 8 inches.

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:06 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:43 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 am
Bubba Zinetti wrote:
So, yes. However, the printout of the rules that I showed to the inspector in Ireland didn't care, and wasn't going to let me through with the rod tubes. Much like interactions with LEO's all it takes is one who wants to ruin your day. Once we purchased fishing specific luggage, we never went back to carrying on rods. BTW carrying on an extra pair of socks and an extra pair of underwear is much more useful than carrying on your rods.
All that is needed to ruin your trip would be one inspector that does not care what the rules are and you are stuck.

On the other hand, some items are not covered by the airlines insurance if it damaged or lost while in their care. So it is a risk or if extra insurance can be purchased. . .

If you bring a rod, I would suggest the cheapest rod.

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:47 am

Hey Garden Hackle. Thanx for ruining my day :D . From the United website:United is not liable for damage to fishing equipment. Our stuff is pretty well protected, and this statement also applies if it is damaged in the overhead compartment. Like with everything else there are risks that need to be evaluated. Our current risk tolerance is for checking our fishing gear rods, reels, boots waders, tackle etc...That MAY change in the future.

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:47 am
Hey Garden Hackle. Thanx for ruining my day :D . From the United website:United is not liable for damage to fishing equipment. Our stuff is pretty well protected, and this statement also applies if it is damaged in the overhead compartment. Like with everything else there are risks that need to be evaluated. Our current risk tolerance is for checking our fishing gear rods, reels, boots waders, tackle etc...That MAY change in the future.
Sorry about that

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:45 am

Quick follow up. Our travels with of fly fishing gear in checked luggage was uneventful. Nothing was stolen. So that's nice.