Flyfishing Catskills

Trout fishing outside of NJ
justin.czu

Flyfishing Catskills

Post by justin.czu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:24 am

I have recently started fly fishing in NJ only about 2 years ago so I am still pretty new to the sport (new to GST as well). I consider myself successful fishing in NJ for stockies, but when I head upstate NY (my family has property in the Oneonta area in Davenport) I struggle to catch fish. The main two rivers I fish up there are the Esopus and Schoharie, as well as some rivers closer to our property like the Charlotte Creek. Would you guys have any tips or fly recommendations for fishing these larger rivers? I have a feeling the smaller flies I use to fish the smaller waters in NJ aren't cutting it. Thanks and tight lines.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Flyfishing Catskills

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 am

Wild trout are incredibly different than our stupid stocked fish! I have seen decent NJ anglers put a beat down on fresh stockies in local waters head to the Catskills and just get blanked day after day. Your presentation is key, not fly choice as much except during a decent hatch. If your fly is not 100% drag free - dry fly or nymph - then you are just wasting your time.

Also, the idea of small flies for small rivers and big flies for big rivers is not a real thing. It's about matching the hatch first in any and all rivers and streams, then if no hatch, using your knowledge to know what insects are most active at the time of year you are fishing. Imitate those insects, don't just fish size 24 midges because that has worked here in NJ. The Catskills waters are more or less all far better water quality than any NJ trout stream or river, and they have tremendous hatches at times, something we will not see in our lifetimes here in NJ trout country.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:08 am

There are alot of fish in the Esopus , go visit the local fly shop Esopus Creel and ask him where to fish and what flies ... Lots of ISO's , on the Esopus , tie some nymphs and a few dries and don't be afraid to fish the fast water , if you see white water that's deeper than your knee fish it . Thats a fun river just have to put some time in and you will figure it , there is no substitute for time on the river

abitskrewd

Post by abitskrewd » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:53 am

there is definitely a learning curve when stepping into new waters, especially those of wild fish. when i first started fishing the catskill region i was lost. i spent many days on the water and was still wondering what i was doing wrong. after taking many trips and doing some research about the upper delaware system i started to feel more confident. then i finally decided i wanted to see more of the river that i couldnt wade to and went with a guide on a float trip. i did that twice and it opened my eyes to what i was doing wrong.
as stated before by others, presentation, presentation, presentation. soft casts, drag free drifts and fishing holding water all helps. time on the water is a must. but the learning curve can be shortened with an experienced angler lending a hand.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 am

I used to fish Charlotte Creek in the 1970s.
Just about any fly worked so well that I had to relearn fishing if I went elsewhere.
I kept count once, 20 brookies in an hour while standing in the same spot.

Has it changed?

justin.czu

Post by justin.czu » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 am

Pete wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 am
Just about any fly worked so well that I had to relearn fishing if I went elsewhere.

Has it changed?
Thanks for all responses guys. I appreciate the help.

And Pete, that's great to hear.... the couple of spots I have fished on the Charlotte are popular spots and usually have guys ripping spinners through them before I get there. I think it turns off the bite. I plan on exploring and trying new spots that (hopefully) aren't as overfished.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 pm

justin.czu wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 am
Pete wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 am

Has it changed?
Thanks for all responses guys. I appreciate the help.

And Pete, that's great to hear.... the couple of spots I have fished on the Charlotte are popular spots and usually have guys ripping spinners through them before I get there. I think it turns off the bite. I plan on exploring and trying new spots that (hopefully) aren't as overfished.
The spot I fished was not public access.
I suspect the only flies those little brookies ever saw were the ones my brother and I showed them.
A former acquaintance got out of NJ, and bought one of those old farms.