lamington river old damn removal

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

lamington river old damn removal

Post by Troutman » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Re: lamington river old damn removal

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:40 pm

Tomorrow we will know if Troutman's title is correct or not ("damn" vs "dam") :D :D

We begin with the 15,000 lb hammer around 10 am tomorrow. We don't anticipate much of a fight, but you never do know.....

Here are some drone shots from the last few days as we prepare for tomorrow's breach.

attachment=0]Overhead pre construction.jpg[/attachment]
Overhead during construction.jpg
Overhead during construction.jpg (231.71 KiB) Viewed 14387 times
Overhead island shaping.jpg
Overhead island shaping.jpg (264.42 KiB) Viewed 14387 times
Attachments
Overhead pre construction.jpg
Overhead pre construction.jpg (257.19 KiB) Viewed 14387 times
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:42 pm

And yes, the drone caught me pointing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:46 am

Remember to dig a hole for a nice spot for the fish :mrgreen: lol im jk.

Nice to see this get done. You can really see how much it ate up the bank from those drone shots

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:05 pm

Troutman wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 pm
who here has fished this area ?

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/41180 ... gton-river
I fish for smallmouth in here occassionally. Decent numbers of smaller ones.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm

That was my first thought when I saw the picture that must be Brian. I see from te article that you are going to be building ruffles. Lol

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Johnw wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm
That was my first thought when I saw the picture that must be Brian. I see from te article that you are going to be building ruffles. Lol
We were thinking of pink ruffles. What does everyone here think?? :lol:

I need to start a collection of silly things reporters say or print when we have them out at various jobs. There was the "caddus flies" lady, and the "crane" (versus excavator) reporter, and now ruffles. :)

FuzzyOne

Post by FuzzyOne » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:21 am

Troutman wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 pm
who here has fished this area ?
I've fished this area several times during the past two years. I guess I'll have to start at square one now. :)

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Is this upstream or down stream from Fiddler's Elbow? I have an invite to fish there this weekend and wonder of it will be all silty. Yes, I am going with a blueblood;)

FuzzyOne

Post by FuzzyOne » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:55 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 pm
Is this upstream or down stream from Fiddler's Elbow? I have an invite to fish there this weekend and wonder of it will be all silty. Yes, I am going with a blueblood;)
Downstream. But it's close enough to collect a bag of golf balls any time you fish this area. :lol:

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:48 am

FuzzyOne wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:55 pm
lightenup wrote:
Downstream. But it's close enough to collect a bag of golf balls any time you fish this area. :lol:
Right now I have a pin on the island and a bucket of balls. My plan is to hold a closest to pin chip shot contest with the various partners with proceeds to go to the RHA's next dam removal project which looks like it will be on the SBR at Weiss Mill dam in Califon above Shannon's.

PS - our in-stream work is done. We remove our equipment and the wooden timber mats that protected the bank under our haul/access road on site. Two DEEP pools and one deep run if you look for them. The obvious pool below the shear where the dam had been is a monster with lots of edge habitat and is on bedrock. Look for the deep pool above the shear and a run just above the bridge below the big pool. The old back channel will act as backwater habitat when flows are up as they are currently.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:48 am
FuzzyOne wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:55 pm
lightenup wrote:
Right now I have a pin on the island and a bucket of balls. My plan is to hold a closest to pin chip shot contest with the various partners with proceeds to go to the RHA's next dam removal project which looks like it will be on the SBR at Weiss Mill dam in Califon above Shannon's.

PS - our in-stream work is done. We remove our equipment and the wooden timber mats that protected the bank under our haul/access road on site. Two DEEP pools and one deep run if you look for them. The obvious pool below the shear where the dam had been is a monster with lots of edge habitat and is on bedrock. Look for the deep pool above the shear and a run just above the bridge below the big pool. The old back channel will act as backwater habitat when flows are up as they are currently.
that sounds like some great cover for the smallmouth to get some size put on in there!

FuzzyOne

Post by FuzzyOne » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:36 pm

I stopped by yesterday. Looked like you guys were in a meeting or I would have asked for a private tour. :D Looks great! I wondered about that area on the right and read your description above which explained it.

Much easier access now. Fell down the old slope a few times in the past. :roll:

Many thanks to all those involved.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:24 pm

FuzzyOne wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:36 pm
I stopped by yesterday. Looked like you guys were in a meeting or I would have asked for a private tour. :D Looks great! I wondered about that area on the right and read your description above which explained it.

Glad you got to see it. Were you the guy fishing off the bridge for a bit? If so, I was the one that had to ask you to move you car because we were pulling out our two excavators.

That back channel should have flushed out. The Lamington USGS gauge is a height only gauge, but right there at that bridge. When it hits 3.97 feet, the river starts to spill over the low spot on our boulder sill (new left bank when looking downstream from above the project site). Last night, it hit 5 feet, so it must have been flowing strongly through there.

FuzzyOne

Post by FuzzyOne » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:24 pm
FuzzyOne wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Glad you got to see it. Were you the guy fishing off the bridge for a bit? If so, I was the one that had to ask you to move you car because we were pulling out our two excavators.

That back channel should have flushed out. The Lamington USGS gauge is a height only gauge, but right there at that bridge. When it hits 3.97 feet, the river starts to spill over the low spot on our boulder sill (new left bank when looking downstream from above the project site). Last night, it hit 5 feet, so it must have been flowing strongly through there.

No, that wasn't me. The excavators were on the mats. Anxious to give it a go though! Thanks.