Some wild browns

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
coaltrout

Some wild browns

Post by coaltrout » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:28 am

Nice takes on small jigs with tiny plastics

Might try for brookies tomorrow morning despite the freezing temps

Twism86

Re: Some wild browns

Post by Twism86 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:09 am

Nice winter colors on those fish! I need to get off my lazy ass and do some fishing! I also enjoy the winter months for trout. Cold yes, but also very peaceful and easier to find water to yourself.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:21 am

Twism86 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:09 am
Nice winter colors on those fish! I need to get off my lazy ass and do some fishing! I also enjoy the winter months for trout. Cold yes, but also very peaceful and easier to find water to yourself.
You spend too much time on the links and brewpubs to be a trout angler.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:31 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:21 am
Twism86 wrote:
I like to divide my time between my hobbies!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:07 am

Twism86 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:31 pm
garden hackle wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:21 am
Twism86 wrote:
I like to divide my time between my hobbies!
So after your "Good walk, spoiled" (Mark Twain's definition of golf), you up your spirits at the pub? :lol: But yes, I agree those colors are nice. Can't beat wild fish.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Colder months are when i tend to trout fish the most. Occasionally in spring ill go after stockies and a few attempts in earlier fall. I especially find the wild trout creeks to be best fished when foliage and bug life is dead, makes navigating the creeks ez. (Spider webs , plants to walk through, etc)

Never have to worry about temps being too high. Im for bass pike etc the rest of the year. Wild trout fishing was originally something i just did because nothing else was biting, but instantly became a part of fishing i enjoyed.

I find covering the body and neoprene waders (no leaks, use trash bags if u cant find that pinhole) to be good. Gloves and a balaclava; the more skin you have exposed the colder youre gonna get, especially with strong wind.

I found 30F to be comfortable as long as no wind present.

taltac

Post by taltac » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:59 am

coaltrout wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:56 pm

I find covering the body and neoprene waders (no leaks, use trash bags if u cant find that pinhole) to be good. Gloves and a balaclava; the more skin you have exposed the colder youre gonna get, especially with strong wind.

What are the trash bags for?

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:38 pm

taltac wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:59 am
coaltrout wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:56 pm

What are the trash bags for?
Few uses. The bags go over my legs like an outter stockings. Then i put my waders on.

So my waders (they were a gift) are loose/big on me and the bags reduce the friction that happens when i walk. Taking off and putting on waders are a lot smoother and slip right on/off too.

The main purpose is so that any leaks don't actually get me wet. I just got a leak while out a month ago but hardly felt it because the bags kept me dry. I noticed i felt a bit cold but it wasnt a bother.

I then go home a patch it.

Springing a leak while fishing is now no longer a fear

Cons: legs sweat a bit but it gets absorbed by my sweatpants.

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Winter is also good as big browns will feed in the middle of the day as opposed to at night time during warmer months.