R.I.P. Rick Ege (stonefly)

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

R.I.P. Rick Ege (stonefly)

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:07 pm

I have been slow to post this as I deal with his passing myself, but I am saddened to inform you all that Rick (stonefly on this site) has passed away. He died early on New Year's Day and had been in the hospital a little over a week. He had been bedridden since July and his body was failing him. He is in a much better place now. A memorial service will be planned for a later date and I will be sure to let everyone know with ample notice.

Rick and I first met shortly after he lost his wife, Kathy, to cancer. He was working in the fishing department at Ramsey Outdoor store when it was in Ledgewood more than 20 years ago, and we got to know each other a bit while talking trout and fly fishing. Rick handed me a TU trifold brochure and convinced me to join. He later convinced me to attend a chapter meeting, and when I had a negative experience, he convinced me to come to his chapter which was FSB/North Jersey. I did so and knew some of the people in that chapter and stayed there for 15 years. He was the person that pushed me to take the chapter education chair and that eventually led to me starting TIC in NJ on a large scale. And he was one of the main voices pushing TU national to hire me more than 12 years ago now. The rest, as they say, is history. Rick was very supportive of my conservation efforts and I think we had more of a brotherly relationship over the years than a typical friendship. One day we were close, and the next arguing. But we always came together for coldwater conservation. I have wonderful memories of wandering the halls of Congress on TU lobbying days, arguing with anti hunters at public meetings, fishing trips near and far, and being introduced to the greater NJ environmental community along with help from our good friend, Agust Gudmundsson. Agust and I were able to visit with Rick on 12/31, hours before he passed. Today, we helped his brother, sister in law and two nephews clean out his apartment. It was not easy, but I took with me a Hardy Princess that I will cherish the rest of my days and I will think of Rick whenever I put it on a rod to fish with it.....

Rest In Peace, my friend.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: R.I.P. Rick Ege (stonefly)

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Those are nice memories, Brian. I knew Rick only through assisting him with stocking trout. He could be a very funny guy at times and I appreciated his patience with me as I was learning the ways into the fly fishing life. RIP Stonefly.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Thank you for posting this, Brian.

I first encountered Rick on the old school NJ Trout along with many of you. I find it amazing how many friendships these forums and the greater TU community have fostered. Not long after being introduced to TU Mike Rediger, Mr. MCR, myself and a few friends started the Cranford Trout Fishing Club. It didn’t take long before Rick, Brian and a few other TU die hards convinced us to create the Rahway River TU chapter. Rick was a champion of TU and conservation for as long as I knew him and was relentless in that pursuit. He didn’t take fools of fakes lightly but was a good soul with a fiery passion for what he cared about. I will always remember that and let it inspire me to fight for what I care about as well.

My best memories of Rick are time spent together at Fly Fishing conventions, meetings or BBQs, just sitting around and chatting all day. He was always there to tease, and give me some lady advice. If Rick wasn’t teasing you, he probably didn’t like you all that well. The one thing he loved to never let me forget is how I ordered that infamous appletini when I was 21 after a street fair in Cranford where we had a TU booth. Amazing how at 33, that was 12 years ago. I’m proud to say I’ve known Rick for a 1/3 of my life and could call him a friend. He was genuine and never fake. Rick dedicated much of his time to TU and conservation and everyone who fishes in this state has him to thank for his efforts.

RIP my friend, you will be missed.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm

Rick was always first to volunteer at TU events, always tying up a few stoneflies at the table. He couldn’t get around much because of his knees, but he talked of his many trips fishing. He was treasurer for the NJTU as well as RVTU for many years. Most of us know of his stocking efforts and may have helped him stock. I still have my conservation hat he gave to me. His birthday would have been the 24th of this month, usually at about the same time as the FF show in Somerset.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

robtf

Post by robtf » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:31 am

Very sorry to hear. Thanks for sharing the great memories.

Condolences for the loss to all that knew him!
----

living in the land of clammies

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:56 am

Thanks for sharing, rusty, very sorry to hear the loss of a great friend.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:33 am

Yesterday I cleaned up the old Hardy reel Rick always joked about me having since I told him our different casting/rod preferences meant I never wanted to own one of his rods when he passed. Rick prefered a mid-flex rod and I like a faster tip flex rod. So I will fish his old Hardy Princess on my restored bamboo rod from time to time and think about my old friend. As garden hackle mentioned, he had a birthday coming up and would have been 70 later this month.

Donations are being requested for NJTU state council in Rick's name. I'm awaiting the obit story to post, so stay tuned for that. Memorial service likely spring or summer and not anytime soon. Rick is being cremated and his ashes interred with those of his late wife, Kathy, down in Spring Lake.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:54 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:33 am
Yesterday I cleaned up the old Hardy reel Rick always joked about me having since I told him our different casting/rod preferences meant I never wanted to own one of his rods when he passed. Rick prefered a mid-flex rod and I like a faster tip flex rod. So I will fish his old Hardy Princess on my restored bamboo rod from time to time and think about my old friend. As garden hackle mentioned, he had a birthday coming up and would have been 70 later this month.

Donations are being requested for NJTU state council in Rick's name. I'm awaiting the obit story to post, so stay tuned for that. Memorial service likely spring or summer and not anytime soon. Rick is being cremated and his ashes interred with those of his late wife, Kathy, down in Spring Lake.
Brian, what is the best way to make a donation?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:54 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:33 am

Brian, what is the best way to make a donation?
Make it payable to NJ Trout Unlimited and mail to:

NJTU State Council
PO Box 4053
Linden, NJ 07036

Please note on the memo line in memorial for Rick Ege.

the royal coachman

Post by the royal coachman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:28 am

I got to know Rick pretty well stocking with him over the years and I too first met him at Ramsey's when he was working the counter there. He missed his wife very much and it's comforting to know that they are together again. For you guys on here that fish the Musky, Rick is the reason there is a group of volunteers that spread the fish out in the spring. He was a tireless advocate for cold water conservation and his voice will be missed, but he recruited plenty of people to take his place. Tight Lines Rick!
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:46 pm

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:00 pm

A lovely write up about Rick (and the late John Shollenberger) from Chris Wood, the president of TU national.

https://www.tu.org/blog/the-passing-of- ... fv4ou13FOY

Mickey022752

Post by Mickey022752 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:36 pm

R.I.P. Stonefly..Hope they're biting in Heaven

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 am

Very sorry to hear about Rick's passing.