SBRR wild browns marking coloration

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Razorbacker

SBRR wild browns marking coloration

Post by Razorbacker » Thu May 03, 2018 8:01 am

I have had the good fortune to be able to catch wild browns from a pretty wide range of waters from the Great Lakes, south into the Smoky Mountains, into Arkansas and out as far as Colorado, and of course here in the Northeast. I know that markings and color can vary drastically from strain to strain, regions, water, etc., but I have caught varieties in all of those regions that look identical to each other in some way shape or form. But I have to say, to my eyes, the wild browns that we are blessed with here in the SBRR (upper regions anyways) have some of the most unique marks and color that I have ever seen. Honestly, I have never caught a brown anywhere else that looks the way big mature (14"+) SBRR fish look. I noticed it first with a 20" male I caught a couple years ago in early summer before spawning coloring kicking in. He had beautiful rose-colored flanks and his black spots, though distinct, kind of melded together. Not a lot of red spots, but definitely there. And later into the year it gets, the brighter the rosey color becomes. Unfortunately, I lost all the photos of that fish, but I have caught numerous ones since, and while not as large, the larger fisah mostly all shared that common appearance.

Here is a 14-15 incher I caught 3 weeks ago, that is very similar. The crappy phone pik does not do it any kind of justice. Just wondering if you folks have ever thought the same, or if it just my imagination!

MR.MCR

Re: SBRR wild browns marking coloration

Post by MR.MCR » Thu May 03, 2018 9:46 am

Close to Tiger like..........
www.estatesalesbyolga.com 908 272 4857 WE CONDUCT ESTATE SALES WE BUY AND SELL ANTIQUES AND VINTAGE ITEMS

908 868 8236 MIKE

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 am

MR.MCR wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:46 am
Close to Tiger like..........
Exactly what I was thinking.
Tight Lines

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Looks tiger like, yes, but with all due respect, I don't think that's a wild fish. Look at the front fin, it is worn down to nub. Unless there is something I am not seeing. ;)

MR.MCR

Post by MR.MCR » Thu May 03, 2018 4:56 pm

May be a club stocked fish.........
www.estatesalesbyolga.com 908 272 4857 WE CONDUCT ESTATE SALES WE BUY AND SELL ANTIQUES AND VINTAGE ITEMS

908 868 8236 MIKE

Baccala

Post by Baccala » Fri May 04, 2018 7:29 am

Razorbacker, whereabouts on the South Branch did you catch these fish? Shannon stocks from Califon to their private Waters. And you have Anglers Anonymous up in Long Valley just Upstream from The Claremont stretch. That fish is not typical of what I tend to catch up where the state has designated wild trout stream. So you may have a fish stocked by a private club.
"Go outside!"

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 am

This one specifically in the Flanders area, quit a bit upstream from the AA stretch. But I have also caught numerous ones in the Claremont stretch as well with same coloration. This fish has full fins... it is just a piss-poor picture.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri May 04, 2018 9:32 am

And yeah, I had thought Tiger-like as well, but the spots don't run together that much, so I really don't believe that is what they are.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 04, 2018 12:54 pm

So, here is a wild trout from the SBRR...
notice the red halo around the adipose fin, and the red line along the bottom of the tail fin. The spots are pretty "normal" for a brownie. The fish posted in the picture looks like a stockie from the Hackettstown hatchery...they are very distinct in appearance, as are wild brown trout..the dead give away is the red halo around the adipose fin, you will never see a stocked fish with it, and I have never caught a wild brown in NJ that didn't have it. Been fishing here for 40 years and grew up on the SBRR....just trying to be helpful my friend.

so I can't figure how to post a picture, maybe someone can help with that...I don't have photobucket, trying to upload from desktop..

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri May 04, 2018 1:47 pm

lightenup wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:54 pm
so I can't figure how to post a picture, maybe someone can help with that...I don't have photobucket, trying to upload from desktop..
You need to find an alternate for PB. Doesn't look like the new site allows local hosting of pics. Try tinypic or postimage
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 04, 2018 2:23 pm

cappy wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:47 pm
lightenup wrote:
You need to find an alternate for PB. Doesn't look like the new site allows local hosting of pics. Try tinypic or postimage
I'm sorry, I know more about trout than computers, what does that mean? :D

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 04, 2018 2:25 pm

lightenup wrote:
notice the red halo around the adipose fin, and the red line along the bottom of the tail fin. The spots are pretty "normal" for a brownie. The fish posted in the picture looks like a stockie from the Hackettstown hatchery...they are very distinct in appearance, as are wild brown trout..the dead give away is the red halo around the adipose fin, you will never see a stocked fish with it, and I have never caught a wild brown in NJ that didn't have it. Been fishing here for 40 years and grew up on the SBRR....just trying to be helpful my friend.

well tiny pic didnt work.. :D

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 04, 2018 2:28 pm

lightenup wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:25 pm
lightenup wrote:

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 04, 2018 2:29 pm

lightenup wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:28 pm
lightenup wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:25 pm
lightenup wrote:

https://postimg.cc/image/qu5zhp4ez/

here is a link that worked..thanks

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri May 04, 2018 2:40 pm

lightenup wrote:
notice the red halo around the adipose fin, and the red line along the bottom of the tail fin. The spots are pretty "normal" for a brownie. The fish posted in the picture looks like a stockie from the Hackettstown hatchery...they are very distinct in appearance, as are wild brown trout..the dead give away is the red halo around the adipose fin, you will never see a stocked fish with it, and I have never caught a wild brown in NJ that didn't have it.
Both of these are NJ wild browns (both streams I got them from are on the WTS list), neither have a real distinct red halo around their adipose fin. While that's certainly a big tell as to being a wild fish it's not necessarily the be all end all.
The attachment wild brown.jpg is no longer available
The attachment wild brown.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
wild brown.jpg
wild brown.jpg (211.58 KiB) Viewed 28394 times
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG (45.44 KiB) Viewed 28396 times
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 04, 2018 2:53 pm

So, I agree with you, I am saying every wild brown, I have ever caught out of the SBRR has these tell tale marks..I have also caught wild browns at smaller creeks that do and do not have the halo, but that white stripe on the fins in your picture are another sign of wild, I just have a hard time with the original post being wild..the tail fin is scarred on the bottom, and the front pectoral is obviously missing, I don't care how bad the picture is, that fin is gone...still a pretty fish, but definitely has the tell tale spots of the Hackettstown fish....and those Hackettstown fish are feisty and healthy!!!

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm

lightenup wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:53 pm
So, I agree with you, I am saying every wild brown, I have ever caught out of the SBRR has these tell tale marks..I have also caught wild browns at smaller creeks that do and do not have the halo, but that white stripe on the fins in your picture are another sign of wild, I just have a hard time with the original post being wild..the tail fin is scarred on the bottom, and the front pectoral is obviously missing, I don't care how bad the picture is, that fin is gone...still a pretty fish, but definitely has the tell tale spots of the Hackettstown fish....and those Hackettstown fish are feisty and healthy!!!
Agreed, I think the original picture could be a club stocked fish that's roamed around the SBRR. Splitting hairs anyways cause I'd be stoked if I caught it. I'm an equal opportunity angler, I sure do want to catch wild fish but that doesn't make me any less happy if I catch a stocker. Especially if he's taking a fly that imitates the prevailing hatch!
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Drossi wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm
lightenup wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:53 pm
Agreed, I think the original picture could be a club stocked fish that's roamed around the SBRR. Splitting hairs anyways cause I'd be stoked if I caught it. I'm an equal opportunity angler, I sure do want to catch wild fish but that doesn't make me any less happy if I catch a stocker. Especially if he's taking a fly that imitates the prevailing hatch!
WORD!!!! :D

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 pm

You know I was not even looking at the tailfin... I stand corrected. SO maybe all along what I have thought I had been catching were some pretty big wild browns in the SBRR, were multi-year holdovers? Kind of a bummer, but it does explain the sizes of ones that I have caught. So were the Hackettstown fish noticeably different that the Pequest browns? (back to my original question re: the coloring.....)

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri May 04, 2018 5:17 pm

You want to grab the postimage link for forums then paste it in your post.

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France