Public Meeting on Trout Stocking Program February 29

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BillSmith

Public Meeting on Trout Stocking Program February 29

Post by BillSmith » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 pm

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife will be holding its annual trout stocking meeting at the Pequest Trout Hatchery on Saturday, February 29, at 10:00 a.m. This important meeting provides an excellent opportunity for anglers to ask questions, voice their opinions, and give suggestions regarding New Jersey's trout stocking program.

This year's meeting will include the following topics:
• 2020 Hatchery Production
• 2020 Spring Trout Allocations
• Temperature Impacts on NJ's Wild Trout Populations.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/news/2020/troutmeeting20.htm

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Public Meeting on Trout Stocking Program February 29

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 am

BillSmith wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 pm
The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife will be holding its annual trout stocking meeting at the Pequest Trout Hatchery on Saturday, February 29, at 10:00 a.m. This important meeting provides an excellent opportunity for anglers to ask questions, voice their opinions, and give suggestions regarding New Jersey's trout stocking program.

This year's meeting will include the following topics:
• 2020 Hatchery Production
• 2020 Spring Trout Allocations
• Temperature Impacts on NJ's Wild Trout Populations.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/news/2020/troutmeeting20.htm
Thanks Bill. That last item looks especially interesting. I hope to be there. BT
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Temperature Impacts on NJ's Wild Trout Populations.
1) Any impoundments on trout production waters should be considered for removal except for those that are used for utilities, as a potable water source or offer significant recreational value.

2) Tree plantings along those streams where trees - especially hemlocks - have been lost and thus exposing streams to direct sunlight.

3) Discharges from STPs, Utilities, Businesses, Dam outflows, etc should have a maximum temp value.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:34 am

NJAngler wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 pm
Temperature Impacts on NJ's Wild Trout Populations.
1) Any impoundments on trout production waters should be considered for removal except for those that are used for utilities, as a potable water source or offer significant recreational value.

The state cannot force private dam owners to remove their dams, only ensure those that are regulated are kept up to code. I agree with your premise, but it can't be done.

2) Tree plantings along those streams where trees - especially hemlocks - have been lost and thus exposing streams to direct sunlight.

Another great idea, and the state should focus on that on their lands. Otherwise it's up to the local landowner(s) or groups like TU to tackle those plantings.

3) Discharges from STPs, Utilities, Businesses, Dam outflows, etc should have a maximum temp value.

This would be overly costly to those using the discharges as you would have to somehow cool down effluent which would use a tremendous amount of energy and cost a mind-boggling amount. And the only way to moderate temps of water flowing over a run of the river dam is to remove the dam. Nearly 100% of the dams in our state are not bottom release or, if they are, do not hold any quantity of cold water to release into the river below.

/quote]

My two cents...
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:37 am

I'm all for tree planting. The Raritan river either has huge 200 year old trees or nothing it seems.
Attachments
50424880_10213246033568395_2722312914026364928_n.jpg
50424880_10213246033568395_2722312914026364928_n.jpg (100.32 KiB) Viewed 26157 times

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:26 pm

BillSmith wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:37 am
I'm all for tree planting. The Raritan river either has huge 200 year old trees or nothing it seems.
From a scientific standpoint, the single most important restoration technique we can use on all rivers and streams in need of restoration is plant native trees and shrubs along their banks. Far more important than the work I do in-stream to restore degraded channels and far more than dam removals. It is also cheap and easy to perform.....

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:57 pm

I don't know if the state had the power to step in and stop the restoration of Ledell's Pond on the upper Passaic and the Lake Solitude Dam on the SBRR. Seems like historic structures can't be removed which is silly. I mean if you are partially or completely rebuilding them, how are they still historic? What about the Califon boro spillway/dam? What purpose does that serve? Get rid of it!
Attachments
califon.PNG
califon.PNG (512.1 KiB) Viewed 26138 times

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:14 pm

The Califon dam is interesting don't know what they are doing if anything , what's the latest on that ?

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:35 pm

What's interesting to me is that it's still trout maintenance down even under lake solitude. Always figured that lake destroyed the temps but seems like it's good enough to hold a lot of good trout. Probably due to the tribs?

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:32 am

BillSmith wrote:
I think in those areas the soil is more easily eroded way. More red shale. or whatever that rock is called. The trees get more easily uprooted. I think farming practices in that art of the state contribute a lot to those open fields right up to the banks.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:46 am

I think Merrill is bottom release (into Merrill Creek)and RV(into SB Rockaway Creek and Prescott Brook). Spruce has both as far as I know. I think most of the larger ones have over the top flows for when they are at full/normal capacity and bottom release for draining purposes or low capacity levels. Pa has done a better job with this. They have been replacing or upgrading many dams over the last decades to allow fro bottom release and/or fish passage.

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 am

NJAngler wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:32 am
BillSmith wrote:
I think in those areas the soil is more easily eroded way. More red shale. or whatever that rock is called. The trees get more easily uprooted. I think farming practices in that art of the state contribute a lot to those open fields right up to the banks.
True, even some of the larger trees just get their soil taken right from under them. See the one downstream of the 206 bridge under the powerlines. It's now in the water after the bank kept on getting chipped away.

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:02 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 am
NJAngler wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:32 am
BillSmith wrote:
True, even some of the larger trees just get their soil taken right from under them. See the one downstream of the 206 bridge under the powerlines. It's now in the water after the bank kept on getting chipped away.
Unfortunately the issue of bank erosion isn't going to get any better and in fact is likely to get worse unless something is done to sow or halt development in the watershed. Steps need to be taken to alleviate spike flows rom storm events. More and better storm water retention facilities need to be constructed in both new and existing developed areas. Sadly this isn't likely to happen anytime soon. While any new development is required to implement the latest in storm water management there are so many other developed areas that in many cases simply don't have room for catchments and retention ponds.

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:38 am

Can't find one person that went.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:01 am

NJAngler wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:57 pm
I don't know if the state had the power to step in and stop the restoration of Ledell's Pond on the upper Passaic and the Lake Solitude Dam on the SBRR. Seems like historic structures can't be removed which is silly. I mean if you are partially or completely rebuilding them, how are they still historic? What about the Califon boro spillway/dam? What purpose does that serve? Get rid of it!

I know nothing about Ledell's Pond, but the state had nothing to do with the Lake Solitude dam. That was 100% the work of the Borough of High Bridge which took the dam by eminent domain and rehabilitated it.

The Califon dam you refer to is the Cole's Mill dam, is privately owned, and the owner has the legal right to own it or remove it. That one is likely to be removed, but there is a process and it takes a few years.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:03 am

coaltrout wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:35 pm
What's interesting to me is that it's still trout maintenance down even under lake solitude. Always figured that lake destroyed the temps but seems like it's good enough to hold a lot of good trout. Probably due to the tribs?
It does which is why TM and not TP below the dam.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:36 pm

As far as trout stocking goes, i have said for years I would like to see more fingerling/advanced fingerling stockings in the rivers where they could grow. I believe the little juniata in pa has wild browns as a result of the fingerling stockings. not sure if something similar could be done on the lower musky.

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:36 pm
As far as trout stocking goes, i have said for years I would like to see more fingerling/advanced fingerling stockings in the rivers where they could grow. I believe the little juniata in pa has wild browns as a result of the fingerling stockings. not sure if something similar could be done on the lower musky.
What would be the difference between the stockies and fingerlings? From what I understand all of the wild brown trout populations across the state came to be because of stocked browns holding over and reproducing successfully.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:16 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 pm
joe_panella wrote:
What would be the difference between the stockies and fingerlings? From what I understand all of the wild brown trout populations across the state came to be because of stocked browns holding over and reproducing successfully.
Fingerlings that grow in the river feel much more like wild trout when caught. I don't see what is stopping the lower musky from being home to more wild trout. If you use the Little J as a model that is exactly what the did. They stocked lots of fingerlings until the really took.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:25 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:16 pm
coaltrout wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 pm
joe_panella wrote:
Fingerlings that grow in the river feel much more like wild trout when caught. I don't see what is stopping the lower musky from being home to more wild trout. If you use the Little J as a model that is exactly what the did. They stocked lots of fingerlings until the really took.
But what's alot ? Seems to me if 2 thousand brown trout fingerlings would make a difference that could be done privately . Costs about $3300 . And how many years do you give it ? And when do you give up on it ?