A Quote from Brett, Rangeley Sport Shop - March 2020

Trout fishing outside of NJ
swissbill

A Quote from Brett, Rangeley Sport Shop - March 2020

Post by swissbill » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 am

Refreshing thoughts on what's to come:

"On my walk in the woods today I stopped for a moment and rested from the concerns of the week. The trees swayed in the moist breeze as the late season snow fell to the ground. It occurred that the CoViD 19 and travel bans and fears around us had absolutely no effect on the nature that surrounded me. I knew that in a few weeks, the rivers would run free and fish and bugs would still do their thing."

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: A Quote from Brett, Rangeley Sport Shop - March 2020

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:20 pm

swissbill wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 am
Refreshing thoughts on what's to come:

"On my walk in the woods today I stopped for a moment and rested from the concerns of the week. The trees swayed in the moist breeze as the late season snow fell to the ground. It occurred that the CoViD 19 and travel bans and fears around us had absolutely no effect on the nature that surrounded me. I knew that in a few weeks, the rivers would run free and fish and bugs would still do their thing."
Love it. Just today I was thinking about how the animals have no freaking idea what's going on with the virus...and it reminded me of a line from a very old poem (1785) written from the perspective of a farmer who just overturned a mouse's nest by accident. He apologizes but also reveals his envy of how simply the mouse lives:

(translated from the Scots language):

Still you are blessed, compared with me!
The present only touches you:
But oh! I backward cast my eye,
On prospects dreary!
And forward, though I cannot see,
I guess and fear!
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

swissbill

Re: A Quote from Brett, Rangeley Sport Shop - March 2020

Post by swissbill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:08 am

Opportunity for a time to pause and contemplate what it is all about.....