WTS 5/3/2020

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Twism86

Re: WTS 5/3/2020

Post by Twism86 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am

Dry fly fishing on the Upper Delaware system compered to small WTS are worlds apart IMO. On a small WTS those fish will hit anything that lands above them. With the choppy, broken up water and small pools they have less time to decide is something is a meal or not. On the long flat pools of the UD the fish see your fly and you coming from a ways away and are much more selective.

Nymphing will always win out for me. The ability to fish right at the fishes level and hit lots of undercut banks and seams that are impossible to fish any other way will always be more productive.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue May 05, 2020 10:14 am

garden hackle wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:27 am
We all know Tenkara fishing is cheating, dry or wet.
Why?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 am

Twism86 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am
Dry fly fishing on the Upper Delaware system compered to small WTS are worlds apart IMO. On a small WTS those fish will hit anything that lands above them. With the choppy, broken up water and small pools they have less time to decide is something is a meal or not. On the long flat pools of the UD the fish see your fly and you coming from a ways away and are much more selective.

Nymphing will always win out for me. The ability to fish right at the fishes level and hit lots of undercut banks and seams that are impossible to fish any other way will always be more productive.
Agreed 100%, but certainly EVERYONE wants to dry fly fish over nymphs every day and twice on Sunday, correct? As a former guide that still "guides" friends quite often, the biggest admission I get from nearly all anglers is that they want to learn how to dry fly fish, but they seldom have time to be on the water during hatches, don't understand what is hatching and when, or just don't have anyone that can instruct them. I used to do a lot of half day, evening dry fly trips when I guided regularly for Shannon's, and that was just to teach that method to anglers who watch YouTube videos all day of so-called Euro nymphing.

Dry fly fishing to small, wild trout in a 1st or 2nd order stream is simple. It's beyond easy. Dry fly fishing to large, wild trout on a bigger river is often next to impossible, especially here in the East with such heavy fishing pressure. But to fool a wild brown over 20" on a small dry fly remains the pinnacle of the sport. My Ridge & Valley TU chapter recently had the famous nymphing anglers and authors, George Daniel and Aaron Jasper present to us. Both started by saying that if they could, they would never nymph fish and stick to dry flies because it is so much more visceral an experience. And these are two household names in the competitive nymph fishing world.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 am

nearly all anglers is that they want to learn how to dry fly fish, but they seldom have time to be on the water during hatches, don't understand what is hatching and when, or just don't have anyone that can instruct them.
How did you know the story of my life?

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Tue May 05, 2020 11:14 am

cappy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:14 am
garden hackle wrote:
Why?
Many people do not like Tenkara fishing although that fishing method is older than having a reel to hold your line. It is more restrictive, you cannot just cast anywhere, any distance, but since all you have is a leader and tippet, the fly sinks faster than having a floating line. For fishing an Elk Hair Caddis, you can have just the fly touching the water and can actually "dance" the fly across the water like a Caddis May do to break through the surface water tension to deposit eggs.

Saying it is cheating was just a tag line to call everything cheating. I do consider it easier to cast as I can cast a Tenkara rod right or left handed. That is something I have not accomplished with a regular fly rod. Useful in some situations.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue May 05, 2020 3:19 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:14 am
cappy wrote:
garden hackle wrote:
Why?
Many people do not like Tenkara fishing although that fishing method is older than having a reel to hold your line. It is more restrictive, you cannot just cast anywhere, any distance, but since all you have is a leader and tippet, the fly sinks faster than having a floating line. For fishing an Elk Hair Caddis, you can have just the fly touching the water and can actually "dance" the fly across the water like a Caddis May do to break through the surface water tension to deposit eggs.

Saying it is cheating was just a tag line to call everything cheating. I do consider it easier to cast as I can cast a Tenkara rod right or left handed. That is something I have not accomplished with a regular fly rod. Useful in some situations.
OK appreciate the reply - I personally like Tenkara, been regularly using the gear for nearly five seasons. I especially prefer it on small streams as we have in NJ, and that includes our "large" trout streams. I find it much more efficient at effectively covering water, both above and below, and less restrictive. Once one is hooked the fight on a Tenkara rod is much more fun then a fly rod, as the line and rod are truly one.
Anatole France

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:29 pm

cappy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:19 pm
garden hackle wrote:
cappy wrote:
Why?

OK appreciate the reply - I personally like Tenkara, been regularly using the gear for nearly five seasons. I especially prefer it on small streams as we have in NJ, and that includes our "large" trout streams. I find it much more efficient at effectively covering water, both above and below, and less restrictive. Once one is hooked the fight on a Tenkara rod is much more fun then a fly rod, as the line and rod are truly one.
I love the fights on tenkara! I even had a custom 18" handle net built so I can land them a little easier. Late last year I did loose a bruiser of a bow that ran on me and there was nothing I could do.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed May 06, 2020 4:54 am

Twism86 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:29 pm
cappy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:19 pm
garden hackle wrote:

I love the fights on tenkara! I even had a custom 18" handle net built so I can land them a little easier. Late last year I did loose a bruiser of a bow that ran on me and there was nothing I could do.
Same thing happened this past Fall to me on the Flatbrook, hooked into a very large rainbow when it decided to bolt hard. I thought I had it under control until I didn't - LOL
Anatole France