Sulphurs...right on time

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
PortMurrayAng

Sulphurs...right on time

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 pm

Went to the musky and threw some sulphurs. Fish were on them right quick. Snowshoe emerger and a dry did the trick, both size 14. Got fairly active around 4:30. I stayed an hour and I think it was getting better. Tomorrow I'll stay a bit longer.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Sulphurs...right on time

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 12, 2020 6:26 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 pm
Went to the musky and threw some sulphurs. Fish were on them right quick. Snowshoe emerger and a dry did the trick, both size 14. Got fairly active around 4:30. I stayed an hour and I think it was getting better. Tomorrow I'll stay a bit longer.
I just drove along the Musky from Hackettstown to the Delaware River on one side and back up the other, stopping to look for sulphurs and see where anglers were fishing. As suspected, fish forgot how to swim. By that, I mean the only places with anglers were bridge stocking locations and they were PACKED!!! Wherever the transfer truck was to have stocked, those locations had one or zero anglers at each site with zero being the most common. I love that people are not people but rather sheeple. It means 90% of the anglers fish only 10% of the river. :D

As Roy said, they were hatching today although not yet in big numbers and I did see a few noses poking up. Point Mountain has never seen the number of cars it had today. Never. Their had to be close to 50 at the bridge and up both sides of the road up to police "no parking" signs that were freshly placed out. But I got the feeling it was hikers and anglers combined. Crazy!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue May 12, 2020 7:20 pm

I haven't been to Pt mnt since this began. It is ludicrous when I drive by, which is frequently.

I wasn't fishing far, though, and was completely alone.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Tue May 12, 2020 7:44 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:26 pm
PortMurrayAng wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 pm
I just drove along the Musky from Hackettstown to the Delaware River on one side and back up the other, stopping to look for sulphurs and see where anglers were fishing. As suspected, fish forgot how to swim. By that, I mean the only places with anglers were bridge stocking locations and they were PACKED!!! Wherever the transfer truck was to have stocked, those locations had one or zero anglers at each site with zero being the most common. I love that people are not people but rather sheeple. It means 90% of the anglers fish only 10% of the river. :D

As Roy said, they were hatching today although not yet in big numbers and I did see a few noses poking up. Point Mountain has never seen the number of cars it had today. Never. Their had to be close to 50 at the bridge and up both sides of the road up to police "no parking" signs that were freshly placed out. But I got the feeling it was hikers and anglers combined. Crazy!
From what I've heard it's been crazy like this on EVERY nice day

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 pm

There are people in numbers everywhere this season, but to be honest, I figured they would have the bridge pools picked clean by now.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue May 12, 2020 11:17 pm

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 pm
There are people in numbers everywhere this season, but to be honest, I figured they would have the bridge pools picked clean by now.
Agreed. I've seen *groups* of people in places I usually never see anyone.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Wed May 13, 2020 8:13 am

It's good and bad though. Good: there are still a lot of fish out there. Bad: The "sheeple" usually stay home once they cannot limit out in an hour.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 13, 2020 9:35 am

One good thing IMO that may come out of this is to keep the pre-season closure open next year and beyond, but on a C&R basis like this year. All the Federation anglers loved how this spring worked out and loved catching fish as soon as the winter left us (more or less). Look for Fish & Game Council to consider changes like that going forward. I hate that some of the best, early fishing is on a tiny fraction of state open waters in the past. I C&R only anyway, so standing shoulder to shoulder in a no-kill or TCA makes no sense in early spring prior to the opener.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed May 13, 2020 9:41 am

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:13 am
Bad: The "sheeple" usually stay home once they cannot limit out in an hour.
I say that is a good thing.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Wed May 13, 2020 11:42 am

cappy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:41 am
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:13 am
Bad: The "sheeple" usually stay home once they cannot limit out in an hour.
I say that is a good thing.
Agreed - was just saying it's bad right now since everything seems to be crowded every day right now. Wish the bridge poolers would be home already.

I also agree with you Rusty and think that would be a great change. The other fun part is making as$hole comments to people who post pictures of themselves bear hugging a dirt covered breeder that they "caught and released to live another day."

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Sun May 17, 2020 9:37 pm

They're getting going...
Attachments
20200517_194806.jpg
20200517_194806.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 9797 times

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:55 am

Nice looking brookie!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."