Headwaters Passaic R -Jockey Hollow NHP and the Audubon societys Scherman Hoffman Sanctuary

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
swissbill

Headwaters Passaic R -Jockey Hollow NHP and the Audubon societys Scherman Hoffman Sanctuary

Post by swissbill » Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 pm

I have not been back in there for a long time (5 years?),
Is in there still an opportunity to chase some wild brookies, or perhaps even an wild brown? Anyone have any current info?
Many thanks!

Fishybig

Re: Headwaters Passaic R -Jockey Hollow NHP and the Audubon societys Scherman Hoffman Sanctuary

Post by Fishybig » Wed May 20, 2020 10:35 pm

swissbill wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 pm
I have not been back in there for a long time (5 years?),
Is in there still an opportunity to chase some wild brookies, or perhaps even an wild brown? Anyone have any current info?
Many thanks!
Yes...if ur wild trout skillz are up to par you will do just fine...keep walking

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Headwaters Passaic R -Jockey Hollow NHP and the Audubon societys Scherman Hoffman Sanctuary

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu May 21, 2020 7:49 am

10-15 years ago, this was a decent place to fish. However, now it's only a ghost of its former self. One angler I spoke to recently said drought is to blame for the decline in fish. The last time I was there I hooked into a small brown trout. Even though I live nearby, I don't fish it anymore. If you go, however, make sure you sign in at the Wildlife office--that's their protocol.

BT
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,