Upstate NY

Trout fishing outside of NJ
PortMurrayAng

Upstate NY

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri May 29, 2020 11:24 am

Am thinking of a day trip solo run upstate. What's it like with jersey plates up there? Anyone get the stink eye?

Troutman

Re: Upstate NY

Post by Troutman » Fri May 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Ive never had a problem up near the hancock-deposit area. I have been fishing up there for the past 10 years for wild trout. The best thing about up there is. I can fish NY & PA with either license on that river on either side
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Fri May 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Was up there from last wed till this monday.....business as usual up there as far as out of state plates....saw plenty of Jersey, pensy, conn plates....pretty much normal

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri May 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks, gents. How was the fishing? Any march browns yet?

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Fri May 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Only decent action waz evening spinners.....could've nypmhed em up but that's not why I go up there.....I'm a bit of a dry fly snob😜

Vance

Post by Vance » Fri May 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi, March Browns are on the B’kill and the Willo also Gray Foxes. They are also on the East Branch below the quick way bridge. Park at the rest area and fish behind and down stream from the rest area. Vance

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri May 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks, Vance. I'm thinking Tuesday. Maybe I'll drive up just for the evening. My hunting club has not opened the house in L.V. yet so it'll be a turn around trip.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:31 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:20 pm
Thanks, gents. How was the fishing? Any march browns yet?
March Browns and Gray Fox are nearly done. Just got back from a few days on the lower East, lower West and upper main. Green drakes, sulphurs, tan/cinnamon/black caddis, BWOs, golden stones, giant black stones, yellow sallies, and lots of mayfly spinners brought the fish up. Figuring out which bug a fish was on was key. I waded and floated both. Slept out under the stars to avoid people and brought my Jet Boil to make meals. Landed some solid fish, both browns and bows. All dries.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Troutman wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:15 pm
Ive never had a problem up near the hancock-deposit area. I have been fishing up there for the past 10 years for wild trout. The best thing about up there is. I can fish NY & PA with either license on that river on either side
Only below the West Branch Angler Resort on the West Branch. From there down it is a border water, although the mainstem is a border water its entire length. The No-Kill on the West, for example, is wholly in NY state and requires a NY license. Same for the entire East Branch which is all in NY. Unless you regularly fish PA, it's always better to get the NY license which covers all the Catskills waters. If things are blown out on the tailwaters, I may run back to the Beaverkill or Willow, and those are both in NY only.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:35 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:15 pm
Only below the West Branch Angler Resort on the West Branch. From there down it is a border water, although the mainstem is a border water its entire length. The No-Kill on the West, for example, is wholly in NY state and requires a NY license. Same for the entire East Branch which is all in NY. Unless you regularly fish PA, it's always better to get the NY license which covers all the Catskills waters. If things are blown out on the tailwaters, I may run back to the Beaverkill or Willow, and those are both in NY only.
I fish no kill zone 1 & 2. So I definitely need that NYS license for sure ;) . I head into the main stem a few times into hancock to catch some clouds when the browns dont feel like co-operating with me :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks RS. Not making it this week, maybe next. i need new fly line.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:01 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:23 pm
By then it should just be sulphurs although Isos may mix in. Bug Week can be very frustrating when they key in on one life stage of a single insect and nothing you toss at them works.

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:21 pm

I'm hoping Tuesday night is not crowded. We'll see. Thanks for the info

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:38 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:01 pm
PortMurrayAng wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:23 pm
By then it should just be sulphurs although Isos may mix in. Bug Week can be very frustrating when they key in on one life stage of a single insect and nothing you toss at them works.
The Delaware always rewards the fly tier , you need a bunch of different insects , with different stages when you get bug soup . Leave the mops at home .

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am

I was up at the WBA this past Friday thru Sunday. Friday the WB except for the extreme upper section and main were unfishable, they got hammered with multiple storms in the morning. Water was to muddy until the evening, and even then it was very cloudy. Didn't fish much, just relaxed (beers) and watched the water for action. Saturday was a beautiful day, caught some nymphing the riffles, with a slow evening hatch. Not sure if the sudden high pressure and cold snap slowed and delayed it. They didn't start to rise until nearly 9:00 pm. I managed two around 14" on a small spent caddis, and lost a nice one just as I was getting the net out. Fished the riffles Sunday morning early and managed one, hit the upper Willow for Brookies on the way home and managed two before heading to Livingston Manor to pick up pastries before heading home from Brandenburg Bakery, highly recommend.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:07 am

2nd Brandenburg Bakery in Livingston Manor .... Getting hipsterish/Hicksters in Livingston Manor and that's not a bad thing

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 am

cappy wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am
I was up at the WBA this past Friday thru Sunday. Friday the WB except for the extreme upper section and main were unfishable, they got hammered with multiple storms in the morning. Water was to muddy until the evening, and even then it was very cloudy. Didn't fish much, just relaxed (beers) and watched the water for action. Saturday was a beautiful day, caught some nymphing the riffles, with a slow evening hatch. Not sure if the sudden high pressure and cold snap slowed and delayed it. They didn't start to rise until nearly 9:00 pm. I managed two around 14" on a small spent caddis, and lost a nice one just as I was getting the net out. Fished the riffles Sunday morning early and managed one, hit the upper Willow for Brookies on the way home and managed two before heading to Livingston Manor to pick up pastries before heading home from Brandenburg Bakery, highly recommend.
The beauty of the upper D is that there is almost always at least one river fishing well when others are not. I would have hit the upper East if I were you or even the lower East. But once a high pressure system moves in, it takes a couple of days for the hatches to crank up and the fish to look up. I was up Sunday and Monday and had decent fishing after several days of high pressure.

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 am
cappy wrote:
The beauty of the upper D is that there is almost always at least one river fishing well when others are not. I would have hit the upper East if I were you or even the lower East. But once a high pressure system moves in, it takes a couple of days for the hatches to crank up and the fish to look up. I was up Sunday and Monday and had decent fishing after several days of high pressure.
Hi Brian - I was thinking about the EB, however I never fished it and don't know where to go for public access, after the drive up to see the muddy water, didn't feel like exploring the unknown. I heard it's not as accessible as the WB.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:30 pm

cappy wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 am
cappy wrote:
Hi Brian - I was thinking about the EB, however I never fished it and don't know where to go for public access, after the drive up to see the muddy water, didn't feel like exploring the unknown. I heard it's not as accessible as the WB.
That's correct, and it gets too warm soon from Jaws where the Beaverkill dumps in down to Junction Pool where there is some decent access. Check out the Tomennex State Park next time you're up that way. ;)

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:57 pm

My club lodge is near tomennex. Fun place to fish. I stumbled on some shady dudes and their camp site there once. Calling Shannon's tomorrow to get my line sorted and hope for an evening next week.