How Many Others

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Vance

How Many Others

Post by Vance » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 am

Hello, Just a quick question. Fished the Ramapo last evening. Got there around 4:00 PM and the place was packed with cars at the Glen Grey bridge. So I waited around and finally started fishing around 6:30 or so and there was a hatch starting and the fish were feeding on top and by 7:30 or so they turned on feeding on spinners. I was fishing a Lt.Cahill and was catching fish then nothing and wouldn’t you guess it I had no spinners with me they were in another box in my car. Has any one else done the same and left a fly box in the car and the fish went from what you were using to some thing else. Where I was fishing up from the bridge there had to be aleast 10 or more fish hitting the darn spinners. I could have kicked myself in the butt for not putting a couple of spinners in my box of flies I was using. Vance

Jaybird

Re: How many others

Post by Jaybird » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 am

Vance wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 am
Hello, Just a quick question. Fished the Ramapo last evening. Got there around 4:00 PM and the place was packed with cars at the Glen Grey bridge. So I waited around and finally started fishing around 6:30 or so and there was a hatch starting and the fish were feeding on top and by 7:30 or so they turned on feeding on spinners. I was fishing a Lt.Cahill and was catching fish then nothing and wouldn’t you guess it I had no spinners with me they were in another box in my car. Has any one else done the same and left a fly box in the car and the fish went from what you were using to some thing else. Where I was fishing up from the bridge there had to be aleast 10 or more fish hitting the darn spinners. I could have kicked myself in the butt for not putting a couple of spinners in my box of flies I was using. Vance
Happens all the time , sometimes I forget I have the flies I need even with me .

Twism86

Re: How Many Others

Post by Twism86 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:11 am

If Im wearing my vest I have almost all of my flies on me at all times. Sometimes I travel light with a waist pack or small backpack and only take a small selection with me. Worse than forgetting the fly you need is donating the only one you had to the tree gods right when it started working!!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:56 am

Even worse, every once in a while I have forgotten or misplaced my little finger nail clippers that I use to nip line after I tie on a fly/lure. I always keep them in the same little pocket in my vest next to floatant, but sometimes they fall out or something and I am stuck on the river trying to trim the tag end of line with my teeth or anything else I can find.

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:13 am

Vance wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 am
Vance, it happens to all of us...I've tied a bunch of flies for an outing the night before and then forgot them when I left the next day. :roll:

Not knowing what other flies you had in your boxes, one of the things you can do in that situation is find a hackled fly that is the same size and close in color to the naturals, and clip the hackle on the top and bottom to create a spinner.

Matt

rollcast

Post by rollcast » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Matt Grobert wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:13 am

Not knowing what other flies you had in your boxes, one of the things you can do in that situation is find a hackled fly that is the same size and close in color to the naturals, and clip the hackle on the top and bottom to create a spinner.

Matt
This. It'll work.