fishing nets

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

fishing nets

Post by Troutman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:28 pm

Fished for over 30 years without using a net 😲. I just finaly purchased 1. Got that magnetic detachable holder also. Takes a little getting used to. But it not the net of yesteryear😲. I like the friendly rubber net material instead of the threaded stuff that used to get all tangled up πŸ‘. Had a free personal guide today showing me all the holding spots. Because you know these guys dont get skunked πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Finally got into more pristine water of the lower musky. Was able to score a few before the rain came in today
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Re: fishing nets

Post by cappy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 pm

Nice fish and net. Which net is that?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:11 pm

cappy wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 pm
e-bay special :lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rudder-Fly-Fis ... 2749.l2649
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 am

Troutman wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:11 pm
I'm not one to buy a custom or high end off the shelf wood net. You did good with that purchase, appreciate the link. I've been using a Handi-Pak folding net for small WTS's, doesn't get caught up in the bushes. Bought a Cortland aluminium hoop net at garage sale for $2.00 removed the crappy netting and installed a fish friendly Measure Net replacement net for general stream fishing.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:26 am

Very nice looking purchase.

How do you guys like using the "bigger" style nets. I use the old sizes that were standard but can't seem to justify lugging around a larger one. It definitely seems like I am minority these days.

SBR Guy

Post by SBR Guy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:44 am

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 am
I'm not one to buy a custom or high end off the shelf wood net.
at least those are made in america..... some products i can justify spending more cash on. a net just needs to hold the fish for a little. the larger sizes will make landing the extra big trout easier. when you cant get that big one in the net and end up jamming your tiny net into the tippet and breaking off a new personal best, can you justify the bigger one then, eh cheeseburger?

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:13 am

Fair point. I do not fish the bigger rivers and have never lost a fish that made me say "damn, I totally would have landed that if I had a bigger net." My concern is that it would get stuck on branches more than it would land big trout.

I can be convinced otherwise. Especially when other members find great deals on ebay. :o

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:11 am

CheeseburgerFly wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:13 am
Fair point. I do not fish the bigger rivers and have never lost a fish that made me say "damn, I totally would have landed that if I had a bigger net." My concern is that it would get stuck on branches more than it would land big trout.

I can be convinced otherwise. Especially when other members find great deals on ebay. :o
I carry a large Brodin Gallatin model net most times and a smaller hand-made wood net on WTS, both with ghost mesh. With the magnetic release, the net stays against your back. I don't find it catching on anything as I walk. The rubber mesh nets are just so much better for fish handling and your flies will not get stuck in them like they will with nylon. Rubber mesh nets used to be expensive, but you can now get them for about $30. If you want to take photos of your fish, there is nothing better.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:24 pm

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 am
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:11 pm
I'm not one to buy a custom or high end off the shelf wood net. You did good with that purchase, appreciate the link. I've been using a Handi-Pak folding net for small WTS's, doesn't get caught up in the bushes. Bought a Cortland aluminium hoop net at garage sale for $2.00 removed the crappy netting and installed a fish friendly Measure Net replacement net for general stream fishing.
Im not big on spending $$$$ on a net. But will spend on reels & poles & waders. I cheap net will do the same exact job as a pricey 1. Now reels & poles are different is quality will enhance you fishing experience ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:11 am

I carry a large Brodin Gallatin model net most times and a smaller hand-made wood net on WTS, both with ghost mesh. With the magnetic release, the net stays against your back. I don't find it catching on anything as I walk. The rubber mesh nets are just so much better for fish handling and your flies will not get stuck in them like they will with nylon. Rubber mesh nets used to be expensive, but you can now get them for about $30. If you want to take photos of your fish, there is nothing better.
The reason I didnt have a net for the longest is as long as I seen what Im releasing Im good with that. Im even happier when its a gentleman's release. They unhook themselves afterwards :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:19 pm

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:26 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:11 am

The reason I didnt have a net for the longest is as long as I seen what Im releasing Im good with that. Im even happier when its a gentleman's release. They unhook themselves afterwards :lol:

I like gentleman's release!!! I've always called it long line release....with single fly setups and barbless hooks, you can sometimes do it on camand....

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 am

I always prefer the "short distance release" when fishing for pickerel.... Nothing Gentlemanly about those angry, toothy bastards!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:39 am

I finally bought a net when I caught a very large rainbow on the S. Branch. If I had a net I would have landed it, instead it flipped out of my hands multiple times as I tried to remove the hook. I also like the nets from Brodin. I have the Firehole model and my wife carries the Gallatin. If the fish won't fit in the net, then we probably broke it off.

Jerzguy21

Post by Jerzguy21 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks for the net info, Just ordered mine.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Twism86 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 am
I always prefer the "short distance release" when fishing for pickerel.... Nothing Gentlemanly about those angry, toothy bastards!
If its a larger pike or pike. they break me off anyway :o . swimming away with my lure :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm

Jerzguy21 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am
Thanks for the net info, Just ordered mine.
anytime ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:01 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:39 am
I finally bought a net when I caught a very large rainbow on the S. Branch. If I had a net I would have landed it, instead it flipped out of my hands multiple times as I tried to remove the hook. I also like the nets from Brodin. I have the Firehole model and my wife carries the Gallatin. If the fish won't fit in the net, then we probably broke it off.
what broke me down this year was the price on these. They have really gone down as mentioned from rusty spinner
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Sounds like you landed it ....in hand ,hero shot or not is a caught fish.....I count average fish that give me the fin, as long as I'm holding the leader to bring him closer....

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Twism86 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 am
Grab 'em right behind the eyes and squeeze a bit. Don't pop thier skull but you need to apply a little pressure. They'll sit still and usually ooe thier mouth a bit.. Works for pike and musky to a certain size and attitude as well..

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 am

Fishybig wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 pm
Sounds like you landed it ....in hand ,hero shot or not is a caught fish.....I count average fish that give me the fin, as long as I'm holding the leader to bring him closer....
We met an angler in Colorado, who counted strikes. His thinking was: "Hey, I fooled 'em".
YMMV