Nymph and Streamer Leader

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
cappy

Nymph and Streamer Leader

Post by cappy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:45 am

Just looking for what others use, and start a new topic.

I've been using furled leaders for the years, and they are great. I just started to us the following with my 4, 5 and 7 weight, and has been working well with each. I use Seaguar line for tippet material, buy in bulk huge savings. Five feet of 20lb fluorocarbon to either a tippet ring, or micro-swivel, followed by two to four feet of 1x to 5x fluorocarbon tippet. Works great and inexpensive. If using an indicator attach to 20lb line so you don't loose everything with a snag.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Re: Nymph and Streamer Leader

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:51 am

For me it depends on a variety of factors. Am I tight line nymphing or longline nymphing? Weights or no weights? Small trout or possibly very large trout? Rod weight? All those go into my decision making. For streamers I may fish a woolly bugger on a simple tapered 9' or even 7.5' tapered leader on a 4 weight on the SBR one day and toss a 3' leader in 20lb test tied to 2' of 1X tippet for a 7 weight with sink line on the upper Delaware in high water. For me, it's not a one size fits all mentality.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Good point Brian about one size does not fit all. I was looking for something that may come close, always looking to see if I can cut back on what I carry when fishing. I was also thinking if needed it's easy enough to cut a foot or two off the 20lb test line and retie the ring or swivel and tippet and move on. So far it seems to work well with simply adjusting the size of the tippet and length to match flies and conditions. Worked well straight line nymphing the riffles above home pool at WBA, with a tungsten weighted nymph trailed by an unweighted nymph.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:08 am

I dont get too caught up in it. I use a leader tapered to 4x usually 8.5 to 9 feet. I tie tippet on accordingly. River conditions dictate the tippet size usually, fly selection and distance dictate the length. Usually I just use what's on there. I'm a lazy fisherman. If I fish a streamer, I'll just cut my leader down amd tie on 3 or 4x...I catch fish. I think people get caught up on advertising and shop talk, makes you over think what's happening. Get the fly in front of the fish without him knowing it. The fish won't check to see what you leader is or how long it is. If the fly presents well, it gets eaten. For me it's more a battle against myself to be patient and thoughtful and precise, rather than tackle..

Vance

Post by Vance » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:47 am

Hi, Lightenup, I do the same. Go to Ramsey Outdoor and buy my leaders in 71/2 or 9 foot leaders then tie either 5x or 6x tippet to the leader and I still catch trout or sunfish or chubbs. I use a 30 inch or more tippet. Bill the mailman