A new honey hole for me on the Musky

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Re: A new honey hole for me on the Musky

Post by Troutman » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:44 am
The Musky is 42 miles long from the Lake Hopatcong dam to the Delaware River. You can fish about 30 + of those miles without issue on either public lands or private lands that allow public access. There are so many spots just like the one you are showing here that are NEVER fished that it blows my mind. I'm one of few that has been on every inch of that river numerous times the entire 42 miles.
Im thinking about floating down the entire length on a small kayak this summer just to explore it
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am

Troutman wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
The Musky is 42 miles long from the Lake Hopatcong dam to the Delaware River. You can fish about 30 + of those miles without issue on either public lands or private lands that allow public access. There are so many spots just like the one you are showing here that are NEVER fished that it blows my mind. I'm one of few that has been on every inch of that river numerous times the entire 42 miles.
Im thinking about floating down the entire length on a small kayak this summer just to explore it
That sounds nice, be aware of low summer flows, you may be walking a lot more than you want.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 pm

cappy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am
Troutman wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
That sounds nice, be aware of low summer flows, you may be walking a lot more than you want.
What cappy said. Best to float it in high water. The upper 1/3 is bony as Hell in summer and you will drag as much as paddle. Been there, done that for a newspaper story about the 5 year Lake Hopatcong draw-down that was coming soon at the time. We nearly killed the poor reporter, Bruce Scruton who is a great guy. All we did was drag our yaks because of low summer flows at the time. The idea was to let folks know that once the lake was being lowered, they could paddle the upper river which wasn't possible otherwise.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:33 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 pm
cappy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am
Troutman wrote:

What cappy said. Best to float it in high water. The upper 1/3 is bony as Hell in summer and you will drag as much as paddle. Been there, done that for a newspaper story about the 5 year Lake Hopatcong draw-down that was coming soon at the time. We nearly killed the poor reporter, Bruce Scruton who is a great guy. All we did was drag our yaks because of low summer flows at the time. The idea was to let folks know that once the lake was being lowered, they could paddle the upper river which wasn't possible otherwise.
Thank you both for the tip. Im gonna take that into consideration this summer
Was known as Troutman1

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:01 pm

I put in at Willy's and took out at Penwell once. Not long, but decent water after hippo rock for the most part even in summer. Got threatened by a beaver in front of Columbia Too.

People pretty much drag their boats through the TCA. Its embarrassing for everyone involved.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:19 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:01 pm
Got threatened by a beaver in front of Columbia Too.
They are aggressive like that :?:
Was known as Troutman1