Trout consumption

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Trout consumption

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:45 am

Who here eats fish 🤔. I do but not my freshwater catch's 🤭. I personally prefer wild caught sick eye salmon from Alaska or local NJ caught flounder-fluke 😉 pfa only
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Re: Trout consumption

Post by martalus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 pm

I love fishing, cooking, and eating, and eating fish. But for some reason I don't like dragging fish carcasses around with me all day when I am out on a fishing adventure. The handful of times that I eat a trout is when I am close to home/my parents home and I make point of going to pool X and harvesting a trout. Trout are actually really easy fish to clean compared to other fish. With panfish, you have to waste time scaling which I don't like doing. Catfish are tasty, but they are pain to clean and they also usually live in waters where I wouldnt want to harvest a fish from.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:24 pm

martalus wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 pm
I love fishing, cooking, and eating, and eating fish. But for some reason I don't like dragging fish carcasses around with me all day when I am out on a fishing adventure. The handful of times that I eat a trout is when I am close to home/my parents home and I make point of going to pool X and harvesting a trout. Trout are actually really easy fish to clean compared to other fish. With panfish, you have to waste time scaling which I don't like doing. Catfish are tasty, but they are pain to clean and they also usually live in waters where I wouldnt want to harvest a fish from.
I know this will sound strange. But I dont care for certain species because its odor & flavor is overpowering(extremely fishy) :o :lol: . I prefer fluke-flounder or sock eye due to more subtle flavor. I have tried trout before & find its a pita to fillet or just my skillz suck :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Oh, I am lazy. I never filet trout-just unzip them, pull the guts out and cook. I even leave the head on for flavor.

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:07 pm

I prefer fish over meat, we'll go to a great steakhouse and I order fish. That being said I keep a few trout early season from a put and take stream, everything after that goes back, never keep wild fish. I prefer salt species over fresh.

Is the second picture the Delaware?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Fish and chips and sashimi if . Canned tuna and a good sardine sandwich with mayo and mustard. That's about it.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:09 pm

cappy wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:07 pm
Is the second picture the Delaware?
yes. west branch on the PA side
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:16 pm

my favorite type of dinner ;) :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 am

Troutman wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:24 pm
martalus wrote:
I know this will sound strange. But I dont care for certain species because its odor & flavor is overpowering(extremely fishy) :o :lol: . I prefer fluke-flounder or sock eye due to more subtle flavor. I have tried trout before & find its a pita to fillet or just my skillz suck :lol: :lol:
No need to fillet a trout, but if you do, you can't do it like you would most other fish which is from the tail toward the head. Trout have fine rib cage bones, so you have to fillet from the top/back down toward the stomach so that the knife gently pushes those bones down and you fillet just the flesh off the carcass. That said, I never eat stocked trout. Just smell the food they are fed and you will understand why I won't eat stocked trout. If I'm somewhere where wild trout are overly abundant, I will kill a fish now and then. But I will take lots of saltwater fish home with me in season.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 am
Troutman wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:24 pm
martalus wrote:
No need to fillet a trout, but if you do, you can't do it like you would most other fish which is from the tail toward the head. Trout have fine rib cage bones, so you have to fillet from the top/back down toward the stomach so that the knife gently pushes those bones down and you fillet just the flesh off the carcass. That said, I never eat stocked trout. Just smell the food they are fed and you will understand why I won't eat stocked trout. If I'm somewhere where wild trout are overly abundant, I will kill a fish now and then. But I will take lots of saltwater fish home with me in season.
Im with you on this Rusty. I found the stock trout tasty like liver pellets. & this was over 25 years ago. I havent eaten 1 since. I took a fish home from the salmon river once. My cat turned her nose to it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:44 pm

I will be in Tewksbury from Thu till Sunday to visit fam. I may consider harvesting a wild brown trout from one of the pools on the property. I do this every couple of years and they are always delicious and the trout always are there in good numbers/sizes over the decades. Even though they are completely unpressured fish, they are some of the most difficult to catch that I have ever known-they are extremely spooky in the gin clear water and pretty dam selective considering basically no one fishes for them. The only time in my life that I have used 7X tippet was to catch one these wiley SOBs on a dry fly in a big glassy slow moving pools a few years back.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:44 pm
I will be in Tewksbury from Thu till Sunday to visit fam. I may consider harvesting a wild brown trout from one of the pools on the property. I do this every couple of years and they are always delicious and the trout always are there in good numbers/sizes over the decades. Even though they are completely unpressured fish, they are some of the most difficult to catch that I have ever known-they are extremely spooky in the gin clear water and pretty dam selective considering basically no one fishes for them. The only time in my life that I have used 7X tippet was to catch one these wiley SOBs on a dry fly in a big glassy slow moving pools a few years back.
Sounds YUMMY... wild trout definitely has a different taste & color. although I never had a wild brown. I had wild rainbows before. They reminded me of mini wild salmon ;)
Was known as Troutman1