fishing the west branch upper delaware this week

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Troutman

fishing the west branch upper delaware this week

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm

The trout addiction caught me today πŸ˜…. I made a trip up to the west branch upper Delaware NY to take care of my fix. The air temps the am was a cool 59* up here😲. You never know what your gonna catch in the river πŸ€”. As you guys know fish has luggage & they do move around 🀣🀣. The striper wasnt caught by me. It belong to a guy that was fishing next to me ;)
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Re: fishing the west branch upper delaware this week

Post by cappy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 am

Nice fish, gotta love the mountain temps.
Where on the WB was the striper caught? Didn't think they ran that far up.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:10 pm

cappy wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 am
Where on the WB was the striper caught? Didn't think they ran that far up.
Hancock rd on the PA side launch ramp.
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:26 pm

Nice looking fish. I have only fished the upper Delaware system twice a long time ago, but somehow its not my kind of water. Lots of it look like featureless still water to me. That said, I am sure I would be convinced the first time I caught a 24 inch wild rainbow on a tiny dry fly.

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Any one ever fish as far up as Hobart or Delhi?

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 pm

martalus wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:26 pm
Nice looking fish. I have only fished the upper Delaware system twice a long time ago, but somehow its not my kind of water. Lots of it look like featureless still water to me. That said, I am sure I would be convinced the first time I caught a 24 inch wild rainbow on a tiny dry fly.
I caught a 26 inch wild brown on a plug ;). please excuse my presentation. My net had floated away from me that am :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 pm
Any one ever fish as far up as Hobart or Delhi?
Ive done delhi a few times. there is not alot of friendly access points :(
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:14 am

Troutman wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 pm
I caught a 26 inch wild brown on a plug ;). please excuse my presentation. My net had floated away from me that am :lol:
If I recall, you were thrashed on another site by a fellow spin fisher whom you've fished with before, about ur fish handling techniques.....about a week later you bought that shiny blue net....gr8 purchase, which I believe you said was the first net you bought in many yrs.....this was maybe a month ago.....I'm deff glad you saw the light and became a net man

Yrs ago the stripers were a big issue up there with many large fish in the upper system....a bunch of guides got together , targeted and removed those fish with quite a few of them being rather large specimens.....not sure how many were caught and removed but I do remember quite a few fish were in the twenty pound range....not sure if there have been continued efforts on this front??

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 am

Fishybig wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:14 am
If I recall, you were thrashed on another site by a fellow spin fisher whom you've fished with before, about ur fish handling techniques.....about a week later you bought that shiny blue net....gr8 purchase, which I believe you said was the first net you bought in many yrs.....this was maybe a month ago.....I'm deff glad you saw the light and became a net man

Yrs ago the stripers were a big issue up there with many large fish in the upper system....a bunch of guides got together , targeted and removed those fish with quite a few of them being rather large specimens.....not sure how many were caught and removed but I do remember quite a few fish were in the twenty pound range....not sure if there have been continued efforts on this front??

Do you suspect those were stripers that migrated all the way up from the ocean/Delaware bay to spawn? Or are they landlocked stripers that came out of the lake over the dam? There is some irony in removing native fish to make room for transplanted brown and rainbow trout. I guess its an economic decision if people come and spend money to fish for trout and the pesky native stripers are jeopardizing that business.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:25 am

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 am

Do you suspect those were stripers that migrated all the way up from the ocean/Delaware bay to spawn? Or are they landlocked stripers that came out of the lake over the dam? There is some irony in removing native fish to make room for transplanted brown and rainbow trout. I guess its an economic decision if people come and spend money to fish for trout and the pesky native stripers are jeopardizing that business.
They deff migrated as there is nothing on the Delaware system to landlock them....I think once they've traveled that far up and found a good food source they have no reason to go back.....the unfortunate part is , is that food source is an economy driving game fish

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:31 am

So essentially they have become like non migratory Canada geese? In that case, if they have stopped migrating, I do see the case for culling them if legal to do so.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Saw a striper last year on the lower beaverkill every bit of 28in . He was trying to take a plug out of a monster chubs mouth

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:42 pm

I usually dont fish with a net. I hadnt fished with 1 since I was 12 years old. Im now 53 years old. that dude on the other site is not liked by many on that site. He is not well respected @ all. many have complained to the admins on that site about him. Yes I fished in a group that went up there. But I did not fish with him personally. There where many that didnt want to fish with him. I always C&R fish of all species. Im not perfect & dont claim to be. I do the best I can from what I know. The net rubber net was purchase also to protect me from getting hooked when fish like to thrash around. Getting older you no longer have those quick reflexes to adjust to fast actions of the fish. Always working towards improving my techniques fishing & understanding how to conserve more natural resources. I always havent understood al of them. But being more experienced now on not fishing the summer months for trout in NJ until cooler climates come along. I was not always a C&R guy either. I became 1 25 years ago. before that I used to keep fish. Now they all get thrown back. Keep on improving yourself is what I say. Who cares what others think of you as long as you do the best from what you know ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 am

I dont think that came over the dam. As the cannonville reservoir that feeds it has no hybrids or stripers in it. There is no dams on the delaware that would land lock it. My guess is that either he-she was a resident striper or is migrating in the river system. They are attracted to cool water. Thats why it was located in the west branch where the water is cooler then the main stem or east branch. I do believe $$$$$ is a factor for a group of the guides to try to remove them from the river. As many anglers do spend some BIG $$$$$$ up there on guide boats, hotel stays & food. I personal enjoy catching all fish that enters the river system. whether it be walleye to smallies in that particular eco system. This is the reason most obsolete dams are being dismantles to allow fish of all species to migrate freely as before man interrupted it
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:57 pm

Jaybird wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pm
Saw a striper last year on the lower beaverkill every bit of 28in . He was trying to take a plug out of a monster chubs mouth
stripers are definitely not starving in these eco systems that for sure. They are kings for sure up there
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:35 am

Lot of bad info on native striped bass here, so let me try to correct the record. First of all, 100% of the striped bass in the mainstem, East or West are native, wild fish that spend most of their lives in the ocean. They migrate with river herring and shad, feeding on both as those two forage species enter freshwater each year to spawn. Some bass remain in the river year round for reasons fisheries biologists don't yet understand while the majority return down the mainstem to the Atlantic Ocean. Targeting striped bass to remove them from a huge river system by a handful of anglers is a joke at best. Sure, you may even catch a few, but likely far less than 1%. Striped bass are legal to pursue in the Delaware if you follow the proper regulations for them. Do they eat some trout? Yes, but mostly at the mouths of the tributaries which means most of the trout they eat are stocked fish from PA, NJ and NY. Do they eat some of the wild browns and rainbows? Yes, but neither of those species are native, so we should prioritize a native fish over a non native every day and twice on Sunday.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:18 am

Rusty Spinner wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:35 am
Lot of bad info on native striped bass here, so let me try to correct the record. First of all, 100% of the striped bass in the mainstem, East or West are native, wild fish that spend most of their lives in the ocean. They migrate with river herring and shad, feeding on both as those two forage species enter freshwater each year to spawn. Some bass remain in the river year round for reasons fisheries biologists don't yet understand while the majority return down the mainstem to the Atlantic Ocean. Targeting striped bass to remove them from a huge river system by a handful of anglers is a joke at best. Sure, you may even catch a few, but likely far less than 1%. Striped bass are legal to pursue in the Delaware if you follow the proper regulations for them. Do they eat some trout? Yes, but mostly at the mouths of the tributaries which means most of the trout they eat are stocked fish from PA, NJ and NY. Do they eat some of the wild browns and rainbows? Yes, but neither of those species are native, so we should prioritize a native fish over a non native every day and twice on Sunday.
good information here ......thank you
Was known as Troutman1