Starting to have smallie success on the upper Potomac

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
martalus

Starting to have smallie success on the upper Potomac

Post by martalus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:12 am

As I have mentioned in other threads, I have been trying hone in on the smallies on the Potomac from the Chain Bridge to Harpers Ferry. I keep hearing and reading that this has been a great smallie fishery, but the population crashes every decade or so due to spring floods and other factors farm waste, invasive catfish, etc. This happened in 1999-2000 but the population bounced back and there was awesome fishing until about 2015. After several years of floods, the Maryland started to catch bass and use them for eggs/brood stock to restock 2-3 inch fingerlings (as even at that size, they have much less mortality compared to when they are just hatched). After striking out badly a few weeks ago on an ideal stretch of rocky water in perfect flows by Harpers Ferry, I have spent the last three Saturdays exploring where a trib (the Catoctin Creek) enters the Potomac near Point of Rocks Md. My theory is that I will have a better chance finding fish where the cool water enters the river as well as the fact that the trib was somewhat more protected with a good density of smallies. While no 50 fish days, I have started catching more smallies in this area including some nice ones reminding me why I love smallies-a ten inch smallie fights like a 15 inch trout and a 15 inch smallie fights like a small salmon. Yesterday, a smallie smashed my little crank bait on the surface and it took me several minutes to land, even though I was a using a medium action rod. The fish kept diving and running and I assumed I had on a big catfish. Sure enough, it was not a 10-15 pound catfish, but a modest 2-3 pound smallie. A little later, I landed a modest 10 incher that pulled out drag on my 6 weight! A little later, I monster brook me off as he rain upstream! What a great game fish! I am honing in on the specific rocks and depressions where the bass are and having more success. I am hoping that the density of fish starts to increase after some good spawning seasons suplemented by stockings so the 3-4 fish days becomes 20-50 fish days in the coming years!