CBS video on fly fishing's growing popularity during Q-tine

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

CBS video on fly fishing's growing popularity during Q-tine

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:06 pm

"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Re: CBS video on fly fishing's growing popularity during Q-tine

Post by Troutman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:32 pm

She says beautiful clean water for fly fishing :o . Where can you find that in NJ ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Troutman wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:32 pm
She says beautiful clean water for fly fishing :o . Where can you find that in NJ ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only most of the places you fish and post about on this site???

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:02 am

Fishybig wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:34 pm
Troutman wrote:
Not as of lately. Ive been fishing in upstate NY ;)
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:15 am

Troutman wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:02 am
Fishybig wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:34 pm
Troutman wrote:
Not as of lately. Ive been fishing in upstate NY ;)
As I sit here wearing my green DEFEND JERSEY t-shirt, I will tell you that my family strolled along the Paulinskill yesterday and that river looked spectactular. While it may be known more for bass, I've certainly pulled a few trout of that stream's pocket water and dry-fly pools. Happy to have honed my angling skills in the Garden State.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:16 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:15 am
As I sit here wearing my green DEFEND JERSEY t-shirt, I will tell you that my family strolled along the Paulinskill yesterday and that river looked spectactular. While it may be known more for bass, I've certainly pulled a few trout of that stream's pocket water and dry-fly pools. Happy to have honed my angling skills in the Garden State.
I have honed most of my skill of stock trout fishing in NJ. But not to many places offer large wild trout clean waters as other states. Yes while there is a few rivers in NNJ that are semi clean. lets face it NJ is pretty much dirty river's state from the past of massive pollution still effecting it today. Past industry from yesteryears practices have left their marks for future generation :(
Was known as Troutman1

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:46 pm

have honed most of my skill of stock trout fishing in NJ. But not to many places offer large wild trout clean waters as other states. Yes while there is a few rivers in NNJ that are semi clean. lets face it NJ is pretty much dirty river's state from the past of massive pollution still effecting it today. Past industry from yesteryears practices have left their marks for future generation :(
First off. I grew up in the foothills of the Adirondacks and it always amazes me when people refer to upstate as any land north of Yonkers. That is a lot of land to clump into the term upstate. To me, and others who from the Adirondacks or northern tier, upstate is above the Erie Canal/Mohawk River and the rest is downstate or the southern tier. Where I grew up there is a stream called the Cayadutta which when I was a boy with my fishing rod held across the handlebars of my bike, the Cayadutta would flow green, blue or white depending on what color they were dying the leather that day for the glove mills. We would never think of fishing it as nothing could live in it. Now the glove mills are mostly gone and the stream is trout stocked water. The down side is that the thriving city which depended on those factories has shrunk to close to half its size and kids leave the area as there is no work. There are cities all over the Northeast with similar stories. America, from 1700's on, grew on industry which included using and harnessing the waterways. It is also not limited to the Northeast as the recent spill from the Gold King mine in Utah by the EPA will attest. Every state has its pollution legacy to deal with not just New Jersey. So when you leave this "dirty river state" to fish the West Branch please be advised that Deposit NY on the banks of the West branch was founded by the logging industry which is not exactly environmentally friendly. :lol:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:14 pm

barkeater wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:46 pm
So when you leave this "dirty river state" to fish the West Branch please be advised that Deposit NY on the banks of the West branch was founded by the logging industry which is not exactly environmentally friendly. :lol:
I referring to chemicals when I state dirty ;) . The Musky in the past was lined up with industry in the past that polluted the waterways before the epa was established :( . The lower passiac was the same below paterson, Majority of the water ways shares this story in NJ sadly. Im glad to see alot has changed & improving. But lets face it. Im not going to hand cup a drink out water out of it like I would in Montana, colorado, or washington state. I wish there was more to be done to restore all NJ waterways to its pre- industry era
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:20 pm

Troutman wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:14 pm
barkeater wrote:
So when you leave this "dirty river state" to fish the West Branch please be advised that Deposit NY on the banks of the West branch was founded by the logging industry which is not exactly environmentally friendly. :lol:
I referring to chemicals when I state dirty ;) . The Musky in the past was lined up with industry in the past that polluted the waterways before the epa was established :( . The lower passiac was the same below paterson, Majority of the water ways shares this story in NJ sadly. Im glad to see alot has changed & improving. But lets face it. Im not going to hand cup a drink out water out of it like I would in Montana, colorado, or washington state. I wish there was more to be done to restore all NJ waterways to its pre- industry era
Just keep advertising where and when you do damage.....that'll bring more ppl and more pollution...problem solved ....only time will tell what the pressure will do to the catskill rivers....I can tell you that I've been fly fishing up there for over thirty yrs , and just like everywhere else, it's on the decline....I for one love reports!!! Keep em commin, but locations are not all that nessecary...

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:45 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:20 pm
Just keep advertising where and when you do damage.....that'll bring more ppl and more pollution..
Research is how people find spots. I have no problem sharing spots with other anglers. Isnt this what sites like this are for :?: . Ive followed other sites that have been more geared towards helping anglers enjoy fishing. Its a shame that society has come down to this type of mentality imo :(
Was known as Troutman1

46er

Post by 46er » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Where I grew up there is a stream called the Cayadutta which when I was a boy with my fishing rod held across the handlebars of my bike, the Cayadutta would flow green, blue or white depending on what color they were dying the leather that day for the glove mills.
That sounds like the Toms, although it had some reds and oranges thrown in as well, and a lot of foam at times. :shock:

I used to have a cabin on the West Branch in Jay, down the road from Betters home.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:45 pm

46er wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:29 pm
Where I grew up there is a stream called the Cayadutta which when I was a boy with my fishing rod held across the handlebars of my bike, the Cayadutta would flow green, blue or white depending on what color they were dying the leather that day for the glove mills.
That sounds like the Toms, although it had some reds and oranges thrown in as well, and a lot of foam at times. :shock:

I used to have a cabin on the West Branch in Jay, down the road from Betters home.
The ramapo & the pompton river for me as a kid. Little did I know that the river was polluted from Dupont. & to think I used to wet wade in there from 12 years old :(
Was known as Troutman1

46er

Post by 46er » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:14 am

Troutman wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:45 pm
46er wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:29 pm

The ramapo & the pompton river for me as a kid. Little did I know that the river was polluted from Dupont. & to think I used to wet wade in there from 12 years old :(
I grew up in Bayonne; the Newark Bay was our playground. A friend and I kept a small skiff moored at the end of our block and waded out to it. I think the bay has been polluted since the beginning of time.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:39 am

Troutman wrote:
barkeater wrote:
:?: Two long defunct paper mills at the bottom of the 42 mile long river is hardly "line up" is it? All eastern rivers suffered from past land use practices. Most NJ trout waters are very clean these days, and the DEP keeps track of the water quality better than most states do. You say NJ water isn't clean but places like Colorado and Montana are pristine? Guess you know very little about mining and its effects on water quality......Colorado has more polluted river miles than anywhere else I can think of due to acid mine drainage. Pennsylvania is also very bad in that area.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:39 am
Troutman wrote:
barkeater wrote:
:?: Two long defunct paper mills at the bottom of the 42 mile long river is hardly "line up" is it? All eastern rivers suffered from past land use practices. Most NJ trout waters are very clean these days, and the DEP keeps track of the water quality better than most states do. You say NJ water isn't clean but places like Colorado and Montana are pristine? Guess you know very little about mining and its effects on water quality......Colorado has more polluted river miles than anywhere else I can think of due to acid mine drainage. Pennsylvania is also very bad in that area.

rivers in danger - Policy Archiveresearch.policyarchive.org
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:07 pm

People still buy into the whimsical & enchanting Romanticism of The West. Don't get me wrong--it's beautiful, but it's not wholly prelapsarian as many (esp in the East) might believe. Between the heavy metals from mining, as Rusty mentioned, and the pesticide runoff from agriculture, you'd better think twice about cupping a handful of water. Additionally, even the most "pristine" streams will contain giardia, so drink carefully!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:16 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:07 pm
People still buy into the whimsical & enchanting Romanticism of The West. Don't get me wrong--it's beautiful, but it's not wholly prelapsarian as many (esp in the East) might believe. Between the heavy metals from mining, as Rusty mentioned, and the pesticide runoff from agriculture, you'd better think twice about cupping a handful of water. Additionally, even the most "pristine" streams will contain giardia, so drink carefully!
The more I think about it. Where can you go that man has not left its mark :?: . Mite be antarctic or the arctic :o . This is messed up :(
Was known as Troutman1

46er

Post by 46er » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:59 am

The more I think about it. Where can you go that man has not left its mark :?:
You can get pretty close in some of the places out west. The Thorofare section of Yellowstone has been called the remotest area in the lower 48, the only foot steps have been from Native Americans, early explorers and backcountry hikers, rangers and research folks. Never saw too many fishing, it is a bit of a walk to catch a fish. There are many other streams/rivers with no one. Never any industry, except tourism, which nowadays is pretty bad. I spent 2 weeks every summer from the early 70's to 2004 out there, one exception for 2 years after the fires of '88. If you ever get the chance, go.
aka; Ralph

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 pm

46er wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:59 am
You can get pretty close in some of the places out west. The Thorofare section of Yellowstone has been called the remotest area in the lower 48, the only foot steps have been from Native Americans, early explorers and backcountry hikers, rangers and research folks. Never saw too many fishing, it is a bit of a walk to catch a fish. There are many other streams/rivers with no one. Never any industry, except tourism, which nowadays is pretty bad. I spent 2 weeks every summer from the early 70's to 2004 out there, one exception for 2 years after the fires of '88. If you ever get the chance, go.
[/quotei
I forget which Yellowstone book , but it mentioned wolf sightings in the Thorofare section of Yellowstone even before theyer reintroduction into the park .

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:22 am

Jaybird wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 pm
46er wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:59 am
[/quotei
I forget which Yellowstone book , but it mentioned wolf sightings in the Thorofare section of Yellowstone even before theyer reintroduction into the park .
Wolves have virtually overrun the entire Montana, Wyoming and Idaho wilderness. But until reintroduction, they were considered extirpated from the greater Yellowstone ecosystem.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown