Fall 2020 trout Stocking?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
coaltrout

Fall 2020 trout Stocking?

Post by coaltrout » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:30 am

With October on the way, my mind is getting trouty :geek:

We saw changes to this year's spring stocking, I wonder if there will be any similar changes, or if any at all.

Anyone have any intel on the trout stocking this fall? I havent heard anything yet myself.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Fall 2020 trout Stocking?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:40 am

coaltrout wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:30 am
With October on the way, my mind is getting trouty :geek:

We saw changes to this year's spring stocking, I wonder if there will be any similar changes, or if any at all.

Anyone have any intel on the trout stocking this fall? I havent heard anything yet myself.
No changes. Fall stocking is simple compared to spring stockings. It's a one and done for Division staff per river. And our rivers are likely very low on stocked rainbows after this hot, dry summer. The KLG will get pounded soon if not already, but the average angler likely doesn't know it hit upper 70s there this summer. Trout gone for the most part. Many other sections of trout stocked rivers will be in the same situation.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:49 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:40 am
No changes. Fall stocking is simple compared to spring stockings. It's a one and done for Division staff per river. And our rivers are likely very low on stocked rainbows after this hot, dry summer. The KLG will get pounded soon if not already, but the average angler likely doesn't know it hit upper 70s there this summer. Trout gone for the most part. Many other sections of trout stocked rivers will be in the same situation.
Thanks Rusty, The fall trout are super exciting, good to hear of no changes.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:03 pm

This year for me became a year of fishing "firsts" for me. I made the decision early on in the pandemic to pursue species I normally don't. The upper Delaware was "closed" by request of folks I know and respect, so I stayed away from my beloved West Branch for most of the spring. Instead, I targeted and caught my first (and second and third, etc.) American shad on a 7 weight. I trolled the Barnegat Ridge for kingfish and landed two, and still later caught my first Bonita in Cape Cod. Later this month, I'm going after salmon on the Salmon and possibly Little Salmon rivers to chase silvers and kings for my first time with the 9 weight. And I have some impressive bucks on camera that will become my focus in less than two weeks, so that will eat into any possible fall trout here in NJ.

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:03 pm
This year for me became a year of fishing "firsts" for me. I made the decision early on in the pandemic to pursue species I normally don't. The upper Delaware was "closed" by request of folks I know and respect, so I stayed away from my beloved West Branch for most of the spring. Instead, I targeted and caught my first (and second and third, etc.) American shad on a 7 weight. I trolled the Barnegat Ridge for kingfish and landed two, and still later caught my first Bonita in Cape Cod. Later this month, I'm going after salmon on the Salmon and possibly Little Salmon rivers to chase silvers and kings for my first time with the 9 weight. And I have some impressive bucks on camera that will become my focus in less than two weeks, so that will eat into any possible fall trout here in NJ.
I hear you on targeting new species this year. I have targeted shad, white perch, crappie, catfish, SMB, and LMB at various times this year. Come to think of it, I even targeted large spawning bluegill once-great fun on a 3 weight! After a few more smallie sessions, I may target some wild browns and brookies in later September/October in the hills of VA and MD, but not too much so as to avoid messing up the spawn.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:15 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thanks for the reminder on the salmon run in Pulaksi. This year gonna hone my skills more on the steelheads after the salmon runs thru ....
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:19 pm

martalus wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:15 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
I hear you on targeting new species this year. I have targeted shad, white perch, crappie, catfish, SMB, and LMB at various times this year. Come to think of it, I even targeted large spawning bluegill once-great fun on a 3 weight! After a few more smallie sessions, I may target some wild browns and brookies in later September/October in the hills of VA and MD, but not too much so as to avoid messing up the spawn.
My VA client near Harper's Ferry, WV is going to stock his newly restored stream. He would be more than happy to let anyone I know fish it, and I know the local HF fly shop plans to fish it. They may do additional stockings. We might see reproduction of both brook and browns over time. I'm still running HOBO temperature data loggers in the stream a few more weeks before I pull them and download the temp data to see how cold it stays. We know stocked rainbows were caught all summer downstream of our site. Once I know more, I'll PM you. Nice setting in the woods and tons of wood and box turtles and deer all over.

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks Rusty, that sounds fun!

How are flows up in NJ now? I tried to fish the headwater section of a stream in the Catoctin mountains of Maryland on Sunday, but there was very little water so I decided not to bother the native brook trout there. I did fish another stream further down towards to the Potomac and there was plenty of water and I landed an impressive 3 plus pound smallie on four pound test in a stream that was only 20-30 feet wide.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:50 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:00 pm
Thanks Rusty, that sounds fun!

How are flows up in NJ now? I tried to fish the headwater section of a stream in the Catoctin mountains of Maryland on Sunday, but there was very little water so I decided not to bother the native brook trout there. I did fish another stream further down towards to the Potomac and there was plenty of water and I landed an impressive 3 plus pound smallie on four pound test in a stream that was only 20-30 feet wide.
Our flows have been a bit under normal most of spring and summer, but not too bad. That said, some streams saw both high temps and low flows which is always a problem.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:29 am

Fall stocking will begin Tuesday, October 6 and conclude on Wednesday, October 14.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:58 am

Bump.

The stocking has begun. The only problem is we haven't had decent rain in days and the forecast looks mostly dry for the next 10...
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Water or not makes no difference for the 4 for the freezer crowd

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm
Water or not makes no difference for the 4 for the freezer crowd
Funny, never heard that one before. Thanks Jbro

Vance

Post by Vance » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:37 pm

Hello, I took a ride up to the Catskills to look at the leaves with my wife. We left Manahawkin,NJ on Monday morning about 10:30. We stayed at the Hampton Inn just outside of Milford,Pa. Went up to the Catskills on Tuesday AM. Took route 97 up to Hancock then quick way towards Roscoe. The leaves were just starting to turn color. So next year will leave the second week in Oct. Took my fly rod and fished the B’kill for about one hour and could not believe how low it is. The Catskills need a lot of snow this year that’s for sure. Well left Milford this am and just stopped in at Flatbrook by Werner’s bridge and parked the car in the little lot. I have never ever seen the brook so low. Where the water in the spring was up above my knees it was just barley up to my ankles. If the state stocks Flatbrook with the water so low the herons and other birds will have a feast. Don’t forget we are paying so the herons and other fish eating birds are eating OK. Just checked the flows on some of the other streams in Jersey and they all are very low. The state should hold off on stocking until we get some needed rain. This is just my two cents worth. Vance

46er

Post by 46er » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:44 pm

May see 1+" early next week compliment's of Delta remnants.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Vance

Post by Vance » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:10 pm

46er, Boy I hope your right about the rain. I would like to see a nice steady rain for two or three days so it soaks into the ground. But any thing would help. Bill the mailman

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:44 pm

We should all donate from our water bill and have the water companies pump water into streams. Im sure theres a fire hydrant or two at each headwater that can be cracked open.

:mrgreen:

Mmmm chlorinated, flouride, trout