Shenandoah River

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Bob J

Shenandoah River

Post by Bob J » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:35 am

I’ll be heading down to the south fork of the Shenandoah for the first week of October. Wondering if the smallies will still be active enough for poppers, or should I be thinking clousers and crayfish patterns? Has anybody fish down there this time of year?

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Shenandoah River

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:20 am

Bob J wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:35 am
I’ll be heading down to the south fork of the Shenandoah for the first week of October. Wondering if the smallies will still be active enough for poppers, or should I be thinking clousers and crayfish patterns? Has anybody fish down there this time of year?
Bob, when I've been unsure in such circumstances, I've used a dropper fly set up. For example, I'd use a popper up top and then a small clouser minor as a trailer fly below.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:10 pm

Great idea - I usually don’t think of that for smallies. Maybe a hellgrammite pattern under there would look good.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:55 am

Bob J wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:35 am
Give Bryan at the fly shop a call and ask him what's going on right now on that river.

https://www.whiteflyoutfitters.com/
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks - will do!

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:47 am

https://www.murraysflyshop.com/blogs/fishing-report

You might be able to glean some info from Murray's fly shop as well. Its a bit quaint, but I think they have been in business for decades and he has written several books on fly fishing for brook trout in the mountains as well as smallie fishing in the Shenandoah river/both forks of it. Water temps have come down considerably in the month of September (from around 80 to the low-mid 60s) but they should be stable for a while and smallmouth will be on the feedback stocking up for winter. Flows are low enough for wading but a bit too cool for a day of wet wading, unless you are an Icelandic viking.

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 am

Thanks - I will definitely stop in there and purchase an autographed copy of one of his books. The report seems fishy (in a good way), thanks!

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:55 am

Reached out to Murray’s fly shop. Tried to set up a guided trip but we couldn’t get our schedules aligned. When Harry saw this he sent me a detailed email of spots to fish and what flies to throw. Class act. Will be stopping in for flies and to have a book signed.

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:10 am

I've used Mossy Creek Fly Fishing guides in Harrisonburg, VA. Not sure how close they are to where you are going to be fishing but they are great.
Tight Lines

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:32 pm

I canoed the Shenandoah river a few years back. Caught lots and lots of smallies. Most were tiny..about 8 inches, got a big one on a deep pool. the small ones hit anything and were everywhere. the big one was in a deep pool and took a black woolly bugger. the small ones sit in every crack and crevice you can find. Not sure what fork I was on but the scenery alone was worth the price of admission. We rented a canoe at a small outfit outside of Luray.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:33 pm

We also hiked to some waterfall in one park. the stream was full of little brookies...didn't bring a rod.