so angry at myself- wild brown

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Razorbacker

so angry at myself- wild brown

Post by Razorbacker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:21 pm

as I have mentioned, I live on the Lamington Rvr in Pottersville, and since being here, have lamented over the poor fishing I have found from the down to almost I-78. I have caught a few, but they were always obviously club fish, and this was after the restoration project of last year.

Being it is a beautiful fall day, and work was slow, I figured I would go out for an hour at lunch time today, but it was so windy, I grabbed an ultralight spinning rod instead of a fly, not wanting to fight the wind and branches- also thinking Im not going to catch anything anyways. And I wish I hadn't.

I tied on a roostertail I literally found in my tag holder, but didnt check if the barbs were pinched. They were not. What do I catch? A beautiful little 8" wild brown that took the hook deep. F-n barbs and treble. I will never throw another treble in trout water again. By the time I was able to finally get the damn barb out, he was bleeding pretty good. I think I probably killed it.

I am literally sick to stomach and so pissed off at myself. Pure carelessness on my part. Finally seeing wild browns here, and I kill the first one I come across.

martalus

Re: so angry at myself- wild brown

Post by martalus » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Well, on the plus side, the wild browns are there! I know the feeling-it sucks to hurt/kill a fish when you did not intend to. This happened to me last summer-I literally got off a plan after living overseas for ten years and went straight to my parents house in Tewksbury. I always like to fish as soon as I get there and I didnt even unpack my stuff and grabbed an old walmart spinning rod that had a spinner already tied onto it. I take my little kid down to my parents bridge over the coldbrook and take a cast to a pool I rarely have ever caught trout. First cast I get a 14 inch wild brown hooked deep and bleeding. Since it was in season and of size, I just brought it up to the house and cooked it right up. I was happy to catch and eat a fresh fish with my kid, but definitely had not planned to.

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:56 pm

wild brown.png
wild brown.png (767.52 KiB) Viewed 9048 times
I almost never keep fish, ever since this day, my kid asks everytime if we are going to bring a fish home to eat...

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:50 pm

ive had fish get gill hooked on barbless jigs and still die, and my pb brown was deep hooked on a jig in the top of the mouth, bled. it sucks when fish take stuff down. I found using big trebles or big lures with trebles helps them not take it down too far. Like those tiny inline spinners, fish happen to take em down too deep too often. But big/long jerkbaits will get em all hooked up in the end of the mouth.

I wouldnt get too upset over the loss of the wild brown, plenty of them in there. but it always sucks when a giant gets slayed :cry:

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:21 pm
as I have mentioned, I live on the Lamington Rvr in Pottersville, and since being here, have lamented over the poor fishing I have found from the down to almost I-78. I have caught a few, but they were always obviously club fish, and this was after the restoration project of last year.

Being it is a beautiful fall day, and work was slow, I figured I would go out for an hour at lunch time today, but it was so windy, I grabbed an ultralight spinning rod instead of a fly, not wanting to fight the wind and branches- also thinking Im not going to catch anything anyways. And I wish I hadn't.

I tied on a roostertail I literally found in my tag holder, but didnt check if the barbs were pinched. They were not. What do I catch? A beautiful little 8" wild brown that took the hook deep. F-n barbs and treble. I will never throw another treble in trout water again. By the time I was able to finally get the damn barb out, he was bleeding pretty good. I think I probably killed it.

I am literally sick to stomach and so pissed off at myself. Pure carelessness on my part. Finally seeing wild browns here, and I kill the first one I come across.
Look at the positive, you likely saved at least 3 to 5 adult brook trout by killing one brown trout.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:31 am

In Alec Baldwin Voice from Glen Gary I Glen Ross ...A-U- F-R
Always Use Fly Rod ...... I know it can happen with a fly to . I Know

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:01 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 am

Look at the positive, you likely saved at least 3 to 5 adult brook trout by killing one brown trout.
#SaveTheBrookies :mrgreen:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:43 pm

Its part of fishing. Anytime you fish with any tackle. whether it be fly or spin. barbless or barb. The risk is there for killing a fish. The only way to enjoy fishing without any lethal outcome is to watch them in the water with binoculars :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:55 am

martalus wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:56 pm
wild brown.png

I almost never keep fish, ever since this day, my kid asks everytime if we are going to bring a fish home to eat...
That is awesome! Keep fishing with her... great dad/daughter bonding! 2 of my 3 love to fish still as adults!

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:58 am

on topic... have any of you folks ever tried circle hook flies? A quick google search showed a lot of SW patterns but only a few midge type nymphs. Just curious...