purty brookie

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
coaltrout

purty brookie

Post by coaltrout » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:51 am

mmm parr marks :geek:

Razorbacker

Re: purty brookie

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:28 am

BEAUTY.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 am

Really Nice

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:28 am

You sound like Homer Simpson there with your mmmmm parr marks :lol:

Nice definition, tho. Congrats.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:40 pm

It's almost spawning time, so they look amazing right now! Nice picture. I've been a deer hunting fool this fall. No fishing for me for a long time now. Too many big bucks in the woods this year.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:40 pm
It's almost spawning time, so they look amazing right now! Nice picture. I've been a deer hunting fool this fall. No fishing for me for a long time now. Too many big bucks in the woods this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8tY1VdHB0Q

Did you ever bow hunt like this?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:20 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:39 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:40 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8tY1VdHB0Q

Did you ever bow hunt like this?
I've bow fished before, but not dressed as and speaking as Billy Clem Bob :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:07 pm

video got me thinking... bow fishing for creek chubs... hmmmm :P
do they make small bows and arrows with ultra thin diameters ???

talk about STEALTH fishing :o :mrgreen:

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:23 pm

That really is a nice brookie-I got in one good wild brookie expedition in the beginning of October down in VA (I think I posted about in out of state section) and I am satisfied till late winter/early spring. Its a long drive to get to them and I will let them spawn. I might hit one wild brown stream in MD about an hour away, but they also can be tough to target during spawning season.

As far as bow fishing-what the heck do you do with a boat load of carp like that? The guy in the video is 'Rut Daniels'-he is a spoof character made up by Canadian Bud Fisher. He and is brother Mike Fisher (a former NHL player) started the Cathin' Deer brand of outdoor clothing.

I don't know about chubs, but local Califon/Vernoy boys used to 'gig' sucker fish in the winter on the SBRR with some kind of harpoon like implement.

I grew up in Whitetail country but never hunted for them. Hunting has always been something in the back of my mind that I want to do 'some day', but I never got around to it. Sitting in a trees stand or blind just doesn't appeal to me. I would prefer a hunt that required stealth/stalking through woods or open country. Just like I like stalking wild trout in mountain streams as opposed to sitting in a boat or on sure waiting for a bite.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:24 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:51 am

mmm parr marks :geek:
How did it taste? ;) :D :D :D :D

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:29 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:24 pm

How did it taste? ;) :D :D :D :D
Like a burger, the parr marks taste like grill lines. :lol: (i jk, released)

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:34 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:23 pm
As far as bow fishing-what the heck do you do with a boat load of carp like that? The guy in the video is 'Rut Daniels'-he is a spoof character made up by Canadian Bud Fisher. He and is brother Mike Fisher (a former NHL player) started the Cathin' Deer brand of outdoor clothing.

I don't know about chubs, but local Califon/Vernoy boys used to 'gig' sucker fish in the winter on the SBRR with some kind of harpoon like implement.

I grew up in Whitetail country but never hunted for them. Hunting has always been something in the back of my mind that I want to do 'some day', but I never got around to it. Sitting in a trees stand or blind just doesn't appeal to me. I would prefer a hunt that required stealth/stalking through woods or open country. Just like I like stalking wild trout in mountain streams as opposed to sitting in a boat or on sure waiting for a bite.
Boat load of carp? Fertilizer, cat food, and actually good eatin I hear if you clean em good. I think what you do with the carp comes third, 1st is having fun shooting carp, 2nd is clearing out the species so the bass fishing improves. (as so I hear about common carp being an impact to other game species)

Yes, ive seen some videos of gigging in califon, i think Ken Beam has done it? Pretty wild way to fish.

I agree on the hunting thing, not for me, but I respect anyone willing to devote that much time to the outdoors :P

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Well as Rut Daniels says, 'a carp in the boat means one more bass in the bay'

On the brookie theme, looks like a some more good rain coming this week which should be helpful for spawning purposes.

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTp6561Py-M

15 minutes worth of sucker gigging in Califon. Those boys were pretty darn close to all taking a cold swim when that ice started to sink. Are throwing some kind of bait in those holes or are the suckers naturally drawn to the light of the open water?