Spruce Run

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Spruce Run

Post by lightenup » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:13 pm

OK, so no one on the other board responded, maybe here.
Some work is happening to the Creek in Glen Gardner. Who is doing it and I hope it looks better than the start when they are done. Those large abutments are hideous. i doubt I'll hear from Rusty after the thrashing he got on NEFF :shock: , don't look it has been deleted....

Fishybig

Re: Spruce Run

Post by Fishybig » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:38 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:13 pm
Some work is happening to the Creek in Glen Gardner. Who is doing it and I hope it looks better than the start when they are done. Those large abutments are hideous. i doubt I'll hear from Rusty after the thrashing he got on NEFF :shock: , don't look it has been deleted....
Wow !! Deleted? Thought that never happens there?...kinda like anything fishing related

Cant add to the goings on at the creek...will have to do a drive by...thx

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 pm

I would imagine you could call the DEP although I've never had good luck reaching them. I had to report something once via their app and it went nowhere.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:38 pm
lightenup wrote:
Wow !! Deleted? Thought that never happens there?...kinda like anything fishing related
Right? Deleting posts goes against everything NEFF once was...I still enjoy getting involved in the ridiculousness though.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:42 am

Any further info on this? Or still just fixing erosion issues caused by the creek??

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:59 am

Obviously they are just fixing the errosion if you look at the park...just wondering if the people know what they are doing or are just winging it.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Where is Brian with his update.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:57 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:55 pm
Where is Brian with his update.
He may be done, after his deleted thrashing??? Others would know better

46er

Post by 46er » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am

The inet can be very dark place at times. Some folks feel they can say whatever about folks they do not even know. A thick skin is needed to just ignore the ignorant.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:11 pm

46er wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am
The inet can be very dark place at times. Some folks feel they can say whatever about folks they do not even know. A thick skin is needed to just ignore the ignorant.
We have all been ignorant before No one is perfect. The darkness is another thing. Don't talk about peoples families or business. Just my opinion.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:39 pm

lightenup wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:11 pm
46er wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am
We have all been ignorant before No one is perfect. The darkness is another thing. Don't talk about peoples families or business. Just my opinion.
Wow!! This goes deeper than I thought....

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:47 pm

The project you refer to I believe is a SEP forced on the quarry that polluted Spruce Run Creek. I know one of the projects that the quarry was considering was in Glen Gardner. The quarry decided to spend $100,000 on a SEP (secondary environmental project) to lower the fines they had to pay DEP for the quarry dust spill into that stream a couple years ago.

As for the NEFF issue, I should not have trashed my competitor. The other guy that posted is his son, and we took it offline and agreed that the posts were not good for either company's business. Money is a funny thing and causes great emotions. I'll leave it at that.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:30 pm

Good on you for taking things OFFline....there is not alot of good that comes from online happenings....

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:36 pm

lightenup wrote:
There was no NJDEP Land Use permit pulled for Glen Gardner locations. Could it be from another town?

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:36 pm
lightenup wrote:
There was no NJDEP Land Use permit pulled for Glen Gardner locations. Could it be from another town?
It is a long Rte. 31 By Hunt Place. The trailer parked there says RFC? I believe on it. They are building a retaining wall. Take a drive by and a look.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:31 am

lightenup wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
lightenup wrote:
It is a long Rte. 31 By Hunt Place. The trailer parked there says RFC? I believe on it. They are building a retaining wall. Take a drive by and a look.
I was correct in that it was for the quarry's SEP project, and I swung by yesterday. It's a disaster and the engineer is the same one that screwed the pooch on the Ramapo for one of my competitors when the Borough of Oakland tried to restore sections of that river a few years back. Being a WTS, all work in stream and on banks should be completed by September 15th of any year and stay closed out until March 15 of the following year for trout spawning. Instead, the DEP allowed the project to begin after 9/15 thinking it would be completed by early October and the Division biologists and DEP know our trout don't spawn until a bit later. But what my firm would see as a 5 day job (4.5 was my estimate), this company (name?) is taking months. They have apparently asked for an extension and were granted same through the end of November. Unreal....

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:18 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:31 am
lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

I was correct in that it was for the quarry's SEP project, and I swung by yesterday. It's a disaster and the engineer is the same one that screwed the pooch on the Ramapo for one of my competitors when the Borough of Oakland tried to restore sections of that river a few years back. Being a WTS, all work in stream and on banks should be completed by September 15th of any year and stay closed out until March 15 of the following year for trout spawning. Instead, the DEP allowed the project to begin after 9/15 thinking it would be completed by early October and the Division biologists and DEP know our trout don't spawn until a bit later. But what my firm would see as a 5 day job (4.5 was my estimate), this company (name?) is taking months. They have apparently asked for an extension and were granted same through the end of November. Unreal....
Haven't seen a wild trout down that far since early last year. I fish there a lot and those little wild brownies and brookies in there are stupid and easy to catch. Upstream sure. I also haven't seen any of those large breeders that show up in the fall for 5 years....stream is on a heavy decline.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:59 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:18 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
lightenup wrote:

Haven't seen a wild trout down that far since early last year. I fish there a lot and those little wild brownies and brookies in there are stupid and easy to catch. Upstream sure. I also haven't seen any of those large breeders that show up in the fall for 5 years....stream is on a heavy decline.
Regardless, that section is listed as Wild Trout water. I think DEP just wanted this over with so that the quarry and DEP staff can put it behind them. Sets a bad precedent if they allow a company that from what we know has never done river work to work during the closed trout spawning closure on a WTS.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:59 pm
lightenup wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:18 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

Regardless, that section is listed as Wild Trout water. I think DEP just wanted this over with so that the quarry and DEP staff can put it behind them. Sets a bad precedent if they allow a company that from what we know has never done river work to work during the closed trout spawning closure on a WTS.

So what's the over.under on the current solution prematurely failing? Shouldn't erosion ,when related to a bridge be treated with very long term solutions?

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:57 pm

There used to be big wild brownies below the Glen Gardner but above the reservoir. Is that no longer the case?