Bent hooks

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

Bent hooks

Post by MickyFinn » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:09 am

Any opinions about the performance of hooks that get bent from snags and you re-shape using forceps?

Rusty Spinner

Re: Bent hooks

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:22 am

I bend them back for trout. Just be certain to sharpen the hook point as that often gets bent when pulling off a snag in the stream (or in the trees for you erant casters :lol: ).
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:54 am

Depends where I'm fishing .... In jersey on little wild fish or stocked fish , yea bend it back . But at a higher quality destination with bigger stronger fish , just toss it and tie on a new one . Again this is where the fly tier is rewarded . A tier knows the hook he used and it's quality . You never see a fly company ( rainys , umpqua, fullingmills who ever) brag about the quality of theyer hooks .
Years ago before a trip to the green river , I called the local shop and asked what I should tie , the shop owner specifically told me tie all the small flies on tiemco 2488H cause the larger fish in the system .

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:23 am

The jigheads I use I reshape to have a wider gap. I bend it first on the shank, sorta in the middle. Bend it forwards, inward. Then I grab it by the bend/barb and bend it back outward. In result I get a hook point more elevated above the eye of the jighook

I noticed it's much better for hookups. I use a constant retrieve for these jigs. Most hits I get are quick and while using the default-shape, I would sometimes see trout just bite-and-drop and swim off, unhooked. But when reshaping it, it seems that if they dare touch it, they hook up way more likely. (and still on the lips, never deep)

As well, it also makes the hook more flexible and it now comes out of snags. As long as the line is strong enough.

I wouldnt do this anytime im targeting big fish, but it's great for the dink trout creeks I fish. Hardly lose jigs, dont have to retie much, I sharpen the hooks on the spot if they dull out from a snag.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:34 am

Dont do it unless fishing for dinks. I tie a lot of flies on dry hooks for versatility. For example soft hackles and iris caddis, two of the flies I fish most of the time can be fished dry or wet, so I have a large amount of experience with bent hooks....the will bend again and eventually break and if its a decent fish you will lose it. I also flatten all the barbs which doesn't help me but gotta love a challenge.

https://www.industrialheating.com/blogs ... fish-hooks

Here is an article on how to bend a fish hook correctly. Tempering and annealing metal matters.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:32 pm

once bent I discard. Not chancing a bent hook on a losing a quality fish
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:08 am

lightenup wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:34 am
Tempering and annealing metal matters.
Agreed. If you can determine your hook's "mettle" (bad pun, I know), that should help you with when to bend back and when to discard.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:39 pm

I want to thank everyone for the input. Seems it comes down to whether or not you're willing to risk losing a big fish because of a previously-bent and re-bent hook. I'll admit that sometimes I'll use a tippet for more than one outing, telling myself that I probably won't be catching anything big enough to break it (4X)...but then I have had break-offs.

Andy Brasko

Post by Andy Brasko » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:35 pm

It depends on the severity of the bend and the maker of the hook. I was fishing with Mustad 3399 and these hooks would break on snags at times. So I thought it was the lot I owned so I tried a completely new lot. Same issue and was repeatable. The 3906 I never had an issue with this. The 3906 in size 8 and size 6 that I fish with stands up to snags and when they bend they are pretty much done. Easier to just throw it in the fly box and throw it out when I get home. Just one of the advantages of just tying another wet fly.