Anyone Been Fishing?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
cappy

Anyone Been Fishing?

Post by cappy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Wondering if anyone has been out after the rain. Was thinking of heading out this weekend, however Saturday supposed to get 1" to 2" of rain into the evening, so Sunday most likely not a good day.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

martalus

Re: Anyone Been Fishing?

Post by martalus » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:46 pm

On the day after Thanksgiving, I went to my parents for a nice feast/bonfire. The weather was as good as you could expect in late November. I snuck away down to the brook between supper and dessert and took literally one cast and got this nice 14 + inch wild brown on a Mepps spinner. I have always found the best time to catch the largest wild browns in the middle of the day is in the late November-March time frame. In warmer weather, the big ones seem to feed mostly in low light/night time conditions. This fish was looking a bit skinny-not sure if it is post spawn or if it has outgrown the stream. If regs had allowed and I had not just eaten a huge meal, I may have harvested this fish. Alas I released him and went up to the house for pumpkin pie.

With the Covid situation worsening, this is going to be a tough winter. Lack of sunlight in winter time often leads to some blue feelings, but at least its a nice time to get together with others for some lights and holiday cheer. The summer/fall has had great weather to be outside with friends and family and numbers have not been too bad in my part of DC and Hunterdon county where my older parents live. Things seem to be closing in though-after six months of not having any cases at my kids school, they finally had one this past week and it is closed down temporarily and things seem to be ramping up in the area. While I am not super concerned about the health impact for me and my wife and kid, it does make me more worried about visiting my parents who are in good shape, but in their mid 70s. Covid could be bad for them but loneliness is also bad/possibly worse so it makes for some difficult choices. They can't get the vaccine out fast enough! Hope you all are doing well and getting out for some fresh air, fellowship, and trout!
Attachments
nice brown.jpg
nice brown.jpg (204.66 KiB) Viewed 8709 times

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:27 pm

martalus wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:46 pm
With the Covid situation worsening, this is going to be a tough winter...at least its a nice time to get together with others for some lights and holiday cheer...it does make me more worried about visiting my parents who are in good shape, but in their mid 70s.
Nice fish, but keep your logic straight here, old boy! Or, just get your holiday cheer outside around that bonfire ;)
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Sorry, i see my sentence wasn't clear! I meant that usually, despite the winter doldrums, one can find solace in the company of others for some holiday cheer. This year, its a bit more complicated.

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:10 pm

both my friends hit creeks for browns and it was good. Water dropped back down pretty quickly. Although it did hit pretty much the highest peaks this year in some gages.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:15 pm

I went out before the rain. Fishing was slow, but I was part of the issue. Slow on strikes, and lazy with my tactics and tackle. Got one and missed several strikes for who knows why? There are fissh to be had, but I bet the rain moved them around....the search continues.

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:56 am

if anyone's fishing saturday, will be interesting since most of the rain comes tonight. Maybe another wash out like earlier this week. Best of luck :mrgreen:

SBRtool

Post by SBRtool » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:24 am

Got out yesterday. Wanted to do some exploring and try a new stretch of river so hiked into a section of the Black River I've never been to before. Was a nice and at times difficult hike in. This section of the river looked amazing and had the feeling like I was definitely gonna get into some fish. Didn't catch a thing or even get a nibble.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:07 pm

My parents have not left their house in over 9 months other than some important dr visits for blood work and checkups. I bring them everything I can from mail to food to prescriptions. I wipe every down, where a mask in and out of the house - even take my shoes off outside. They are very depressed especially not being able to see their grandkids. Even more depressed after Biden "won" the election.

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Glad to see some of you are catching Trout. Last time out I hit the Flatbrook in several locations with no luck.

Nice size brownie, although as you stated it does look thin.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:59 pm

This weekend's rains should help with flows. I hope to get out this week even tho it's looking pretty chilly.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,