"Free-riders"

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

"Free-riders"

Post by MickyFinn » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Is it just me--or have I actually been seeing an increase in unlicensed fishermen (not a fisher-woman--yet) during this last year? Has anyone observed something similar? Seems to have been more people fishing through the pandemic--but more unlicensed folk as well. :?:

coaltrout

Re: "Free-riders"

Post by coaltrout » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 pm

i hardly see people to begin with :mrgreen: I think more people are keeping them off-display tho, none of my friends display it.

It's no doubt there's a good % of anglers who just dont buy licenses. It seems easy to pull off; just dont fish anywhere popular. I think of the state actually cared and felt not enough people are buying licenses; they would send more people to check them.

Now that I mention it; do they have reports out yet on the # of licenses sold this year compared to last? Id feel like it went up this year compared to last.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:56 pm

MickyFinn wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:25 pm
Is it just me--or have I actually been seeing an increase in unlicensed fishermen (not a fisher-woman--yet) during this last year? Has anyone observed something similar? Seems to have been more people fishing through the pandemic--but more unlicensed folk as well. :?:
I stopped dislaying mine years ago. I kept losing it. I've been checked twice since.. I should display it but the CO said no one really cares if you are cooperative.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:14 am

Those of us that are 70+ don’t need a license just a form of ID that shows our date of birth. One of the few benefits that come with old age.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:16 am

coaltrout wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 pm
i hardly see people to begin with :mrgreen: I think more people are keeping them off-display tho, none of my friends display it.

It's no doubt there's a good % of anglers who just dont buy licenses. It seems easy to pull off; just dont fish anywhere popular. I think of the state actually cared and felt not enough people are buying licenses; they would send more people to check them.

Now that I mention it; do they have reports out yet on the # of licenses sold this year compared to last? Id feel like it went up this year compared to last.
I'm sure you can find info on one of the F&G Council meeting minutes: https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/cnclminutes.htm

Some states saw 300% increases in license sales for both hunting and fishing. :shock:

I do not know the NJ numbers, but deer butchers were turning away customers because they were too full and taxidermists are jumping out from 6-12 months or from 12-18+ months as a direct result of increased participation.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:22 pm

"Sorry Officer, but the rainbow trout I caught about an hour ago ate it."

Think that would work?
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:29 pm

I cant say that Ive seen more freeloaders. But I seen more people fish this year more then any other. Some dont have there license displayed on their outer clothing. but doesnt mean they dont posses 1. I display mine because I dont want to be harassed by any CO. I used to get anough of that fishing in the KLG :o
Was known as Troutman1

optowalt

Post by optowalt » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:02 pm

Johnw wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:14 am
Those of us that are 70+ don’t need a license just a form of ID that shows our date of birth. One of the few benefits that come with old age.
I turn 70 this year. Can't you see my smile?

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:27 am

lightenup wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:56 pm
MickyFinn wrote:
I stopped dislaying mine years ago. I kept losing it. I've been checked twice since.. I should display it but the CO said no one really cares if you are cooperative.
I display mine cause I don't need the annoyance of being checked. Fishing to me includes solitude and avoiding people, why would I want to invite interaction with a CO?

That said I haven't seen more unlicensed fisherman than usual, without out mandatory license display how can you tell anyway?
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:27 am
lightenup wrote:
MickyFinn wrote:
I display mine cause I don't need the annoyance of being checked. Fishing to me includes solitude and avoiding people, why would I want to invite interaction with a CO?

That said I haven't seen more unlicensed fisherman than usual, without out mandatory license display how can you tell anyway?
I've been checked 2 times in 40 years....what an annoyance.;)

46er

Post by 46er » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Johnw wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:14 am
Wish they would do that for the hunting license and stamp, although we do get a license discount. Wonder what is more expensive to raise; pheasant or trout :?:
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:25 pm

I thought I read somewhere that your license is to be displayed while fishing. Seems reasonable.

I guess it falls in the category of things like tinted glass in car windows (something I always believed to be illegal, that cops didn't want it, yet you see it) and needing a front license plate in NJ (yet you see vehicles without) and fireworks being illegal (yet, they sell them at the local Walmart around The Fourth). :?

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:36 pm

FYI, from page 16 of NJ Freshwater Fishing Digest, under License Information: "License must be visibly displayed on outer clothing. So, it's the law--but no biggie? :roll:

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:49 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:02 pm
Drossi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:27 am
lightenup wrote:

I've been checked 2 times in 40 years....what an annoyance.;)
I must be special, I get checked every other year or so. Must look like a riff-raff with my Orvis vest, Simms waders, and a fly rod :). I do get checked more often in Feb and March, I guess they're trying to get me for not having renewed my license and when I fish in more "urbanized" areas.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane