Winter Stockings

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

Winter Stockings

Post by MickyFinn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:38 am

So, I've seen the videos and have heard of the Christmas stockings of the Point Mtn. TCA and Califon stretch of the SBR. But I ran into a fisherman the other day who said the State had recently stocked some fish in Ken Lockwood Gorge. Maybe this was a misunderstanding on his part--or on mine. Anyone else hear something similar? :?:

coaltrout

Re: Winter Stockings

Post by coaltrout » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:29 pm

I thought it's the fly shops that do it. Supplement stockings funded by them and other orgs.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:35 pm

I prefer a smart wool cotton blend in my winter stockings...wicks away sweat and still soft.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:52 pm

lightenup wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:35 pm
I prefer a smart wool cotton blend in my winter stockings...wicks away sweat and still soft.
I like a little twill thrown into mine.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

StinkyWetFly

Post by StinkyWetFly » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:15 am

Alpaca blend all the way for my stockings... :lol:

I was actually out yesterday bouncing around the area...I caught a pretty beat up stockbow at the Gorge...colors were nice but fins were not :cry: ...
So it could have happened...

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 am

Point being if you like stockings , all kinds of stockings , i don't judge , buy some stockings from Shannon's , cause I remember winters when there where no stockings , and they were cold ...
PS I see on other boards people enjoying the stockings , I hope they appreciate where they came from .... Support your local stocking provider .

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:12 am

Jaybird wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 am
Point being if you like stockings , all kinds of stockings , i don't judge , buy some stockings from Shannon's , cause I remember winters when there where no stockings , and they were cold ...
PS I see on other boards people enjoying the stockings , I hope they appreciate where they came from .... Support your local stocking provider .
I always put money in the coffee can everytime I am there. I live close so it's once a month about...nice work. Guilt people into donating. I like it!!!

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:24 pm

lightenup wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:12 am
Jaybird wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 am
I always put money in the coffee can everytime I am there. I live close so it's once a month about...nice work. Guilt people into donating. I like it!!!
It's the Irish Catholic way

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:39 pm

The poor guy posted a legitimate question and then all the boneheads come out. :lol: :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:10 am

Some of the old timers tell me they wear their wife's torn panty hose and keeps them warm :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:02 am

MickyFinn wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:38 am
So, I've seen the videos and have heard of the Christmas stockings of the Point Mtn. TCA and Califon stretch of the SBR. But I ran into a fisherman the other day who said the State had recently stocked some fish in Ken Lockwood Gorge. Maybe this was a misunderstanding on his part--or on mine. Anyone else hear something similar? :?:
No state stockings this winter at KLG or anywhere else. Rivers get stocked in spring several times depending on waterbody and again once in fall. The stockings mentioned were done by Shannon's and not by the Division.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:06 am

Don't have more to say about the winter stockings--but I had heard that the KLGorge had NOT been included during the FALL stocking. So, I recently asked someone from Fish and Wildlife. That person said simply that the number of fish allocated for SBR during the fall stocking DID include "the Gorge".

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:29 am

MickyFinn wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:06 am
Don't have more to say about the winter stockings--but I had heard that the KLGorge had NOT been included during the FALL stocking. So, I recently asked someone from Fish and Wildlife. That person said simply that the number of fish allocated for SBR during the fall stocking DID include "the Gorge".
I would tend to believe someone from the Division but then I square that against the many KLG skunk stories from the fall and I don't know what to think.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:09 am

The KLG was stocked in the Fall. I was there a few days after the stocking, the water was extremely low and it was pretty obvious that there were new fish in the river.

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:48 am

Johnw wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:09 am
The KLG was stocked in the Fall. I was there a few days after the stocking, the water was extremely low and it was pretty obvious that there were new fish in the river.
I think the question now is was the KLG stocked privately only or did the Division also stock it?

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:48 am
Johnw wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:09 am
I think the question now is was the KLG stocked privately only or did the Division also stock it?
The division stocked the upstream end..a tree was blocking the truck for the downsream side. I don't know exactly where the tree was but that was weeks ago and I dont think it really matters after all the high water we have had. The fish swim. I also know Shannons put in a bunch of fish that swam also...there are fish almost everywhere in that river from high bridge up. Have fun and use midges and streamees and you should catch them. They swim harder with a hook in the jaw.😋