It's 18 degrees outside...time to start thinking about hatches

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

It's 18 degrees outside...time to start thinking about hatches

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:53 am

I've gotten back into fly tying and I'm looking at some easy late winter/early spring flies to tie. I tied a zebra midge yesterday which, on a good day, might tempt an inebriated trout that could barely swim straight. This week, I plan on moving onto LBS, little black stoneflies (#16-#18), which usually begin appearing next month--in this case, that's next week. They're often one of the first flies to appear in very early spring and can easily be spotted as they crawl up onto the snowy banks to hatch. Here's a little page & video about LBS:

https://wiflyfisher.com/Little-Black-Stonefly-Hatch.asp

And here's one on how to tie the fly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9EqQliR4C0

What are your favorite flies for this time of year?
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Vance

Re: It's 18 degrees outside...time to start thinking about hatches

Post by Vance » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi, Big Flatbrook has a great black stonefly hatch. A couple of years ago in March they were all over the place. I had most of my hits under water and my version of the fly is a all black caddis fly in a size 16 or 18. I use the cheek hairs from a white tail buck for the wing because it lays flat on the hook and easy to work with on the hook. Bill the mailman

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:46 pm

You can swing soft hackles when they are active. Try something on a small 3x long hook. Black hen for hackle, moose for the tail. You can use just about anything black for the body.

cappy

Post by cappy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Size 16 or 18 black pheasant tail works just fine, as does an all black size 16 soft hackle. Very prolific hatch in NJ, I can't think of one trout stream in northern NJ that does not have good hatch.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:58 pm

cappy wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:04 pm
Size 16 or 18 black pheasant tail works just fine, as does an all black size 16 soft hackle. Very prolific hatch in NJ, I can't think of one trout stream in northern NJ that does not have good hatch.
Lbs are one of my favorite hatches.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 am

For all of January and much of February, stick with scuds and midges because that is what is available every day for them to feed on. As February progresses, the little black and little brown stones become more important on warmer days during midday hours. Pheasant tails are something trout know throughout most of the year and will often take for that reason, but our mayfly nymphs are still teeny tiny right now and not as available to trout as a major food source until later in March and into April and beyond.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:03 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 am
For all of January and much of February, stick with scuds and midges because that is what is available every day for them to feed on. As February progresses, the little black and little brown stones become more important on warmer days during midday hours. Pheasant tails are something trout know throughout most of the year and will often take for that reason, but our mayfly nymphs are still teeny tiny right now and not as available to trout as a major food source until later in March and into April and beyond.
I've been fishing scuds almost exclusively since Christmas. So far, so good. Can't wait for spring, tho, to start nailing fish up on top with dries.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:29 pm

I had a sudden inspiration to tie up a few Micky Finns. Threw them the other day and has some luck! Go streamers for a change from the little stuff.

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:29 pm
I had a sudden inspiration to tie up a few Micky Finns. Threw them the other day and has some luck! Go streamers for a change from the little stuff.
Nice, broski. Did you hook into the trout at the end of the drift or on the swing?

Sheisty

Post by Sheisty » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:35 pm

Take me fishing DAD!

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:25 pm

Sheisty wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:35 pm
Take me fishing DAD!
G Damn that didn't take you long! :lol:

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Nice, broski. Did you hook into the trout at the end of the drift or on the swing?
[/quote]

Big hit came just as I was lifting to recast. Made me jump. Short, slow strips across the end of a pool brought another up.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:40 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 pm
Big hit came just as I was lifting to recast. Made me jump. Short, slow strips across the end of a pool brought another up.
[/quote]

Its the color scheme!!! Oldy but a goodie...under used and almost forgotten...nice work!!!

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:14 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:40 pm
PortMurrayAng wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 pm
Its the color scheme!!! Oldy but a goodie...under used and almost forgotten...nice work!!!
[/quote]

Agreed about it being an oldy but goodie...it was the first fly I learned to tie back with Mark Dettmer down at his old DRO shop on Rt 31. RIP Mark.