Pre Season Catch and Release Peroid

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Castaline

Pre Season Catch and Release Peroid

Post by Castaline » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:16 am

I have heard rumors that the state is still considering a catch and release (pre opening day this year) two week session sort of like last year. I know the new compendium does not mention it but apparently it is still in play. Anybody heard anymore on this?

Rusty Spinner

Re: Pre Season Catch and Release Peroid

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:26 pm

Sounds like that will be the case again this year for the same reasoning, Covid pandemic. Too soon to say if they will consider making this a permanent change.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:56 pm

Sounds like the fish will get a early education ;) :o :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Sheisty

Post by Sheisty » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:12 pm

I saw a ton of people out last year, when I was fishing for early spring white perch, yellow perch, and crappie spawn runs.

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:21 am

Sheisty-its great to see you back on the board-it seems like its been a decade or so!
I was never much into white perch until I moved down to DC-last season I got keyed into this massive white perch run up the potomac through DC in April/May-they seem to have been following the shad, eating their eggs, and then spawning as well. There were days when I literally caught hundreds of them, some up to 2 pounds, some the size of your hand, and everything in between-they are scrappy fighters on light tackle and great for the pan.

46er

Post by 46er » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:42 pm

They are doing pretty good with the White Perch in the Mullica over the past month, might even be getting enough ice soon like the old days. Watched a cable show on NJ saltwater fishing, Saltwater Underground, and they featured the White Perch in the Mullica. If it warms up a bit, maybe a lot, I might give it a try, a creek running into the Toms is just a short walk from home, a box of streamers and I'm set. Used to take the kids when they were kids.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:23 am

Sheisty wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:12 pm
I saw a ton of people out last year, when I was fishing for early spring white perch, yellow perch, and crappie spawn runs.
Welcome back! I was thinking of the day Twism planned for a then new GST site meetup at Stephens SP and meeting you in person for the first time (I think). Good to see you back on the site!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Sheisty

Post by Sheisty » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:39 am

martalus wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:21 am
Sheisty-its great to see you back on the board-it seems like its been a decade or so!
I was never much into white perch until I moved down to DC-last season I got keyed into this massive white perch run up the potomac through DC in April/May-they seem to have been following the shad, eating their eggs, and then spawning as well. There were days when I literally caught hundreds of them, some up to 2 pounds, some the size of your hand, and everything in between-they are scrappy fighters on light tackle and great for the pan.
Hey man,

I believe it has literally be a decade :oops: White perch are fun to catch on light gear. Spawn run panfish in general can be non stop action.

Sheisty

Post by Sheisty » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:41 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:23 am
Sheisty wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:12 pm
Welcome back! I was thinking of the day Twism planned for a then new GST site meetup at Stephens SP and meeting you in person for the first time (I think). Good to see you back on the site!
Thanks,

I want to say we met once but I could definitely be mistaken. I forsaked my trout fishing roots for salt water but im trying to workout a balance between the two.