Central Jersey Recommendations

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Pj0915

Central Jersey Recommendations

Post by Pj0915 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:01 am

Hey everyone,

I’m from ocean county, by LBI. I was trying to get out to do some trout fishing today, but my home river (the Toms) seems like it’s probably blown out after the rain, which makes wading there quite scary. I’m also a bit tired of it since it’s my only stream close to home and i’ve fished it so many times.

I know this is a fairly tight lipped community, but does anyone have sections of rivers they would recommend within an hours drive? I figured it would be worth a shot to ask around instead of picking a spot online and getting skunked yet again haha. Thanks!

46er

Re: Central Jersey Recommendations

Post by 46er » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:41 pm

I am also from Ocean county; not much within an hour. You have the muddy Manasquan and a few lakes/ponds listed on F&W web site. Further north is the lower Raritan. It is striper time here and blues soon :mrgreen:
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Pj0915

Post by Pj0915 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:37 pm

46er wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:41 pm
I am also from Ocean county; not much within an hour. You have the muddy Manasquan and a few lakes/ponds listed on F&W web site. Further north is the lower Raritan. It is striper time here and blues soon :mrgreen:
After some research I think I might try to hit hockhockson brook in Colts Neck. Apparently it was stocked last month so hopefully i get something.

I have to try saltwater on the fly, would a 5 wt rod work? There’s some cool marshy back waters in my town I wonder if I should give them a try.

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:44 pm

April is when the white perch come up brackish streams in south Jersey , including the Toms River My brother used to go some place called the Forge pond (it is connected to the Metedoconk) this time of year I believe for a massive white perch run. He once caught an 18 inch searun brook trout there which was pretty cool.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:49 pm

[/quote]

After some research I think I might try to hit hockhockson brook in Colts Neck. Apparently it was stocked last month so hopefully i get something.

I have to try saltwater on the fly, would a 5 wt rod work? There’s some cool marshy back waters in my town I wonder if I should give them a try.
[/quote]

A 5wt might work....but not for long. :lol: A small saltwater fish would make quick work of it. Also the salt water will rot out gear that's not specifically designed for use with said salt water.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

46er

Post by 46er » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:18 pm

Pj0915 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:37 pm
Get an 8wt. High Bar Harbor is a great place to start; easily fish the inlet side and the bay side. This club provides some very good info, worth joining if your interested in getting salty.

http://www.aswf.org/
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Vance

Post by Vance » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi Guys, Just a short note. I live in Manahawkin and I go to the South Branch to do my trout fishing. Sure it takes me 11/2 hours to get there but who cares as I am fishing in some of the best waters in Jersey. While I am driving up the Pkwy. I am thinking about where to fish. Do I go up Rte.31 farther to fish the Musky or turn off and fish the SBranch. If you want to fish the SB take your right after the Speedway gas station. Go about 1/4 mile take a right and fish by the bridge up stream and down stream it is nice water. If you take route 31 north aways you will come to route 57 turn right to Point Mountain Rd. Right onto Point Mt. to parking area. Fish up stream as it is very good water. You can always write to me at whv1937@comcast.net. For saltwater I would go with. 8 or 9 weight lines size 5 or 6 is just too light. At least a 9foot rod. Bill Vance 29 Highland Drive, Manahawkin,NJ08050. Directions: Parkway to 287N. to 78W. to 31N

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:04 pm

Gr8 advice!! Dont forget those gps coordinates.... anyway it's all well known...our states f&g gives all these access points and directions on there website, just takes a lil diggin...but alot of ppl aren't even willing to do that..before we know it fishin pics will come tagged with lat n long and if that's not included ppl will raise hell...sad

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:25 am

The Hockhockson is a small and very shallow Brook and parking is very limited. It is worth trying but don’t get your hopes up. There are a few ponds around such as Mohawk in Red Bank and the one in Holmdel Park that have been stocked.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:42 am

Look at Shark River, close to the VFW lodge on Gulley Road. Went there yesterday and plenty of places to fish along with walking paths created by deer and fishermen. Spring Lake is stocked as well if I remember.

Pj0915

Post by Pj0915 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, all great advice for a new angler like myself. I'm hoping to do some more trips north in the near future hitting the Pequest and the Raritan. I hit both those spots late last summer and in the fall but had no luck. Each time it seemed like the water was too low or warm and the guys I sight fished would just move out of the way of my fly haha.
Vance wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:50 pm
Hi Guys, Just a short note. I live in Manahawkin and I go to the South Branch to do my trout fishing. Sure it takes me 11/2 hours to get there but who cares as I am fishing in some of the best waters in Jersey. While I am driving up the Pkwy. I am thinking about where to fish. Do I go up Rte.31 farther to fish the Musky or turn off and fish the SBranch. If you want to fish the SB take your right after the Speedway gas station. Go about 1/4 mile take a right and fish by the bridge up stream and down stream it is nice water. If you take route 31 north aways you will come to route 57 turn right to Point Mountain Rd. Right onto Point Mt. to parking area. Fish up stream as it is very good water. You can always write to me at whv1937@comcast.net. For saltwater I would go with. 8 or 9 weight lines size 5 or 6 is just too light. At least a 9foot rod. Bill Vance 29 Highland Drive, Manahawkin,NJ08050. Directions: Parkway to 287N. to 78W. to 31N
And big ups to Vance for dropping his own spots, hopefully I'll see you out there! :D

Vance

Post by Vance » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:44 am

Hello, I’ll start fishing mid April as I am a old guy and the cold bothers me. You will know me as I wear a camouflage shirt and a floppy hat. If I see you there will give you some flies to try out. Will be going to the B’kill in May and June. If you have the time go to the Ramapo and fish Glen Gray bridge area. Parking is a little hard but you just might find a place. County property on the right by the bridge with parking for maybe ten cars. Before the pandemic East Jersey TU would float stock it way above the bridge to way down pass the bridge. All the best trout streams in Jersey are in the Central part of the state or NW or the NE. Bill

46er

Post by 46er » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:56 pm

This may help; from the Jersey Shore Chapter of Trout Unlimited.

https://www.jstu.org/index.php/conserva ... ean-county
aka; Ralph