Pequannock newark watershed stretch

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
joe_panella

Pequannock newark watershed stretch

Post by joe_panella » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:32 pm

Looking for any good info on this stretch. Mainly parking and access. Any tips would be appreciated. I live in smoke rise in kinnelon and the wts stretch on 23 is pretty void of trout at this point. The last electrofishing results I saw pretty much backed that up. With a 7 and 4 year old I need to be able to run get a permit and get some fishing in all in half day. Pms appreciated if you don't want info on the public forum. I have checked the area out and not sure where to park and I don't like trespassing. Thanks all and have a happy easter.

Troutman

Re: Pequannock newark watershed stretch

Post by Troutman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:14 pm

go down to pequannock under RT 287. there is a park there. almost across from the quarry.
Was known as Troutman1

kennyp2339

Post by kennyp2339 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:15 am

There's a couple turn offs along hamburg tpke, under rt23 bridge then down towards riverdale park, also if your on Rt23 S just passed the 287 area make the right turn onto Boulevard then immediate left onto mountain ave then another left onto newark pompton tpke (brings you back to rt23, turn on 23 N and make the immediate right turn onto River Dr, there is a parking area and the pompton river is right there with pretty good bank access.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:24 pm

Thanks guys, I am extremely familiar with the public water, I practically live on it. I want to know more about the part on the watershed property you need a permit to access. Not sure if there is legit access or not or even parking for that matter. The wts area from smokerise down to the 287 bridge is pretty void of fish and seems to have been for some years now as per the electroshocking info.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am

joe_panella wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:24 pm
Thanks guys, I am extremely familiar with the public water, I practically live on it. I want to know more about the part on the watershed property you need a permit to access. Not sure if there is legit access or not or even parking for that matter. The wts area from smokerise down to the 287 bridge is pretty void of fish and seems to have been for some years now as per the electroshocking info.
The parking issue is what's always kept me from getting a Newark watershed permit as well. The stream looks nice near where Green Pond comes in, I've parked in some of the businesses and looked around but I doubt you'd be able to do so and fish. It'd probably result in a tow.

Agree on the WTS public water declining significantly too.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:20 am

Grew up fishing all of that water, but did so most likely while trespassing on my bicycle back in the day. Nobody ever bothered us. But in those days, anglers just pulled over on the southbound shoulder to park and fish. Now, that will get you a ticket from the WM or Kinnelon cops.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:30 am

You have to take the high school kid approach and ride a bike in or have someone drop you off to avoid the parking hastle.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:48 pm

I am off this week. I scouted it last night. Saw some risers.i am going to try and talk to the office this week. I will post the updates as long as they don't give away too much. 😉. In all seriousness, that is why I always thought the site should be private unless logged in.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:34 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:48 pm
that is why I always thought the site should be private unless logged in.
Id say we can try to get this changed to this ;)
Was known as Troutman1

superomni

Post by superomni » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:56 am

I was lucky this past weekend and got a Brown in the public water section of the Pequannock. :D