New Stretch of River (at least for me)

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
njcatchrelease

New Stretch of River (at least for me)

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 am

I got out for a few hours early on Saturday to try a section of the Rockaway River that I have never fished before. Spent about 2.5 hours on the river and managed to land 3 rainbows and lost a few others.

Here are a few photos.

Tight Lines

MikeB

Re: New Stretch of River (at least for me)

Post by MikeB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:48 am

Nice work bud, good looking fish. Always fun finding new waters.

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 am

Nice pics. I fish that stretch occasionally, nice looking water but has severe thermal issues during the Summer and few to none holdovers, exception would be the deepest pools.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 am

cappy wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 am
Nice pics. I fish that stretch occasionally, nice looking water but has severe thermal issues during the Summer and few to none holdovers, exception would be the deepest pools.
The pools weren't that deep except for the run just after the dam. Hopefully it will stay cool enough to fish for a while longer.
Have you ever fished the river above that lake? I was wondering what it is like up stream more.
Tight Lines

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Should be OK for this month, especially with the cool temps and rain we have been getting this Spring. Wish more people practiced C&R there, lots of limits taken out. Never fished above the lake, not stocked and not a WTS, to many impoundments.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:54 pm

cappy wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm
Should be OK for this month, especially with the cool temps and rain we have been getting this Spring. Wish more people practiced C&R there, lots of limits taken out. Never fished above the lake, not stocked and not a WTS, to many impoundments.
If they can't survive summer temps, then that is the perfect river for catch and creel IMO. If a river has wild fish, that's another story.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:54 pm
cappy wrote:
If they can't survive summer temps, then that is the perfect river for catch and creel IMO. If a river has wild fish, that's another story.
True. What I didn't get across was it would fish better if people just took a couple of fish each trip instead of a limit, and more. I'm a C&R guy but will take a fish or two from that river during an outing, depending on how they are biting. I've seen three guys fish a small pool and each walk out with a limit, once the stocking stops the amount of fish decrease dramatically. Deep shaded sections can hold trout for the creel into the beginning of Summer extending the season and the fun. Once the steady heat comes and water level decreases it's sunnies and chubs.
Anatole France

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:54 pm
cappy wrote:
That particular section does get too warm. Lower down river there are more cold water influences and fish will hold over and the occasional wild brown will show up. The Rockaway is popular with the catch and keep crowd as it should be since much of it gets too warm. Another week or two and I'll cull a few for the grill myself. :lol:

BTW - the Iso hatch is great there right now. They've really come back in the last 15 or so years once the industries moved out of watershed.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane