brodhead

Trout fishing outside of NJ
lukenic

brodhead

Post by lukenic » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:09 am

fished the brodhead with my son saturday evening. he caught 2 on a rapala. one was a small wild brown around 6 or 7 inches. looked awesome.

saw consistent but sporadic rises from 6:30 til dark. but didn't see much coming off? tried a parachute adams and sulfer with no takes. finally put on a size 18 blue winged olive around 8 pm and got 2 browns. very surprised to see so little bug activity. any explanations?

Drossi

Re: brodhead

Post by Drossi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:15 pm

I fished the bushkill yesterday morning. Some sporadic caddis hatching but nothing much going on early there either. I did get 3 on a march brown wet fly. I surmise that the cold front that came in overnight on Saturday shut things off some.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Aquatic insect hatches are not something that is steady throughout the hatch for any given mayfly or caddis (or stonefly). Some days are better than others. Also, this is mid June, so hatches won't begin until right at dark and extend into darkness. The type of rise form tells you everything about what is hatching. Slashy rises are trout feeding just under the film. We see this with both caddis and mayflies. The quintessential head popping out indicates trout feeding on mayfly duns. The very subtle sips are likely mayfly spinners or spent caddis. My guess is because you weren't seeing many hatching bugs but were seeing "rises", they were feeding on spinners which ride flush in the film and are already dead. Study the water closely to see what is on the film if they are rising but you don't see bugs in the air. Could also be ants or flying ants. Only close observation can tell you what they are eating.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lukenic

Post by lukenic » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 am

thanks for the details. barring seeing what's in the film i guess it's trial and error? does the time of the year and stream you're fishing help narrow the options?

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm

lukenic wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 am
thanks for the details. barring seeing what's in the film i guess it's trial and error? does the time of the year and stream you're fishing help narrow the options?
It all else fails I'd try a soft hackle wet fly. My 1st shot would be to fish it in the surface film using an upstream presentation, like fishing a dry fly. That may entice fish feeding on spent spinners in the surface film. Failing that I'd move upstream and swing the soft hackle in front of the risers on a tight line to imitate emerging insects.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lukenic

Post by lukenic » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm

thanks for the advice but you're opening a can of worms (i get it, poor choice of words on here for some). no experience with wet flies. time to do some homework.

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:00 pm

lukenic wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm
thanks for the advice but you're opening a can of worms (i get it, poor choice of words on here for some). no experience with wet flies. time to do some homework.
“Can of worms”, now you’re talking my language.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Drossi wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm
lukenic wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 am
It all else fails I'd try a soft hackle wet fly. My 1st shot would be to fish it in the surface film using an upstream presentation, like fishing a dry fly. That may entice fish feeding on spent spinners in the surface film. Failing that I'd move upstream and swing the soft hackle in front of the risers on a tight line to imitate emerging insects.
Do the same with an iris caddis...if the soft hackle doesn't work...