Upper SBR

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
SBRtool

Upper SBR

Post by SBRtool » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:41 am

Looking to explore some new water. I've fished most stretches of the South Branch but one spot I've always wanted to try was the upper stretch in the WMA off of Bartley Rd. Not looking to spot burn and the area is pretty big so not looking for any specifics. If I park around where the Columbia Trail ends and just head upstream is it worth it? Looks like it would be a pretty long walk up and back and just curious if anyone could tell me whether its mildly worth it or dont' waste my time. Thanks.

Razorbacker

Re: Upper SBR

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:12 pm

You can actually drive down through the power line right of way (helps if you have 4x4 and don't mind some branch scrapes in your gel-coat), almost down to the river. there are a few holes worth exploring down in there. I have only worked downstream from the ROW crossing... not sure what it is like upstream before it gets to the River Rd bridge. I have only caught smallish wild browns in that stretch.

SBRtool

Post by SBRtool » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:56 am

Gave this place a shot yesterday after work. Made the hike from the fishing access parking lot off Bartley Rd. and walked upstream as far as I could till I ran into a small damn. Was fun to check out a new spot but this place was tough to fish and kinda disappointing...super tight with overhanging trees everywhere. I did come across a few small stretches that looked like they might hold some trout but all i managed was 5 or 6 creek chubs. Maybe others have had better luck there. Thanks Razorbacker on that tip where to park. Maybe I'll give that place a shot next.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:33 am

The upper river from West Morris HS up to Budd Lake is mostly smallish wild browns with an occasional brookie mixed in. I prefer the water further downstream even though I live above River Road and very close by. More wild brookies and some of the deeper holes can hold impressive wild browns at times. The new WTS stretch covers 9 3/4 miles, so plenty of water to find fish! And there is decent parking in places. Get away from the crowds is often key except during winter when you have the water to yourself.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:13 am

No more stocked trout took away my lunch time trout LOL

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:14 am

Brian where the first stocking spot used to be on the upper river which is now a WTS. Has a one of those new trout stocked water signs.

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 am

I fished that area about 2 weeks ago and caught a few wild browns (6" - 7"). Very tight fishing quarters but I had a lot of fun catching those browns. Just need to look for the deep pockets to fish. I caught the browns on bead head hares ear nymph fished without a strike indicator.
Tight Lines