Alright, which one of you forgot to do a rain dance??

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Alright, which one of you forgot to do a rain dance??

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:48 am

It's beyond bad with no end to the drought in sight. Often during dry summers, we get at least remnants of hurricanes passing by that dump enough rains to get us back on track. So far, it's been a very silent hurricane season and the summer thunderstorms just lack enough moisture in the atmosphere to fire up. So which one of you forgot to do the dance?? :mrgreen:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Re: Alright, which one of you forgot to do a rain dance??

Post by martalus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:54 am

Gosh, I wish we could switch the weather. Here in Bethedsa/DC area, it has rained almost every day all summer with some of the hardest tropical like down pours. The weeds and mosquitos are out of control in our backyard! My mom in NJ keeps complaining that we get all the rain and they keep getting nothing in NJ.

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:55 am

I've been dancing - LOL

How do you think the wild trout in our headwaters are doing?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:50 am

cappy wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:55 am
I've been dancing - LOL

How do you think the wild trout in our headwaters are doing?
Struggling due to a severe lack of habitat. And that is due to a low water year making pools very shallow and water warming as it has also been hot.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:52 am

martalus wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:54 am
Gosh, I wish we could switch the weather. Here in Bethedsa/DC area, it has rained almost every day all summer with some of the hardest tropical like down pours. The weeds and mosquitos are out of control in our backyard! My mom in NJ keeps complaining that we get all the rain and they keep getting nothing in NJ.
Yet to your west and also in VA, they have had a similar dry year. That site we restored on Piney Run in NW Loudoun County near Harper's Ferry, WV has had low water nearly the entire summer including today.

We have 40% chances of spotty pop-up thunderstorms tomorrow. Those typically dry up without forming, but we will see.

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:21 pm

Yet to your west and also in VA, they have had a similar dry year. That site we restored on Piney Run in NW Loudoun County near Harper's Ferry, WV has had low water nearly the entire summer including today.

I can't explain it-we went to the back in southern Delaware last week and it was also parched in that area, which is 100 miles east of DC. It seems like every time there is a slight chance of a pop up storm since June, it turns into a tropical deluge in a very small area in and around DC. I have to rip out some serious weeds as mosquitos are making a home there, but it has been so hot and humid and buggy, I keep putting it off.

The only speck of good news is that I see nighttime temps in the 50s in NJ trout country starting this week as we start meteorological fall. Let's just hope some rain falls too!

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:52 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:21 pm
It seems like every time there is a slight chance of a pop up storm since June, it turns into a tropical deluge in a very small area in and around DC. I have to rip out some serious weeds as mosquitos are making a home there, but it has been so hot and humid and buggy, I keep putting it off.
Ironic that the mosquito's are thriving, DC is full of blood suckers!
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 am

I havent driven to any of the NNJ river recently. But I can imagine its low. Ive been fishing the upstate NY region for wild trout in the summer months. I can tell you most of the rivers up there are very low. The only 1 that has been maintaining higher the normal flows is the west branch. As it has been trying to keep up the flows @ the main stem. The east branch is down to a trickle. forget about the beaverkill & big & small willow. The whole north east region is suffering from this drought
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:23 am

Look at the poor lower Lopatcong Creek. Ridge & Valley TU did a work evening last night at this location to protect and care for the native plantings we did in fall of last year and spring of this year.
Attachments
A5BDA652-CEB0-49FC-907D-5A5104D6A07B.jpeg
A5BDA652-CEB0-49FC-907D-5A5104D6A07B.jpeg (5.61 MiB) Viewed 7660 times
962ED371-4C49-4AC4-9B75-AC006DD807D1.jpeg
962ED371-4C49-4AC4-9B75-AC006DD807D1.jpeg (6.25 MiB) Viewed 7660 times
A1FDBC5D-960B-4948-982D-4E63A03FF04E.jpeg
A1FDBC5D-960B-4948-982D-4E63A03FF04E.jpeg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 7660 times
5E99DE04-EC70-4E40-AABB-1F3D5D87E085.jpeg
5E99DE04-EC70-4E40-AABB-1F3D5D87E085.jpeg (6.04 MiB) Viewed 7660 times

kype

Post by kype » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:35 pm

some nice rain coming next few days. hopefully its a nice steady slow rain. just got over .25" this evening on the lower musky. but fall trout is still looking like a dud this year. hoping something changes soon.

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:35 am

Looks like trout country is getting some decent rain. More importantly, it looks to be a steady rain over a few days which is better for soaking in compared to fast hitting storms that flash flows.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:06 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:35 am
Looks like trout country is getting some decent rain. More importantly, it looks to be a steady rain over a few days which is better for soaking in compared to fast hitting storms that flash flows.
Nope, rain is done in NJ trout country already and it doesn't look like there's any more coming when looking at the radar. We got 1.5" in the SBR headwaters and that's it. Were expecting 3"-4" through tomorrow. Looks like once again they guessed half right.

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:06 pm
martalus wrote:
Nope, rain is done in NJ trout country already and it doesn't look like there's any more coming when looking at the radar. We got 1.5" in the SBR headwaters and that's it. Were expecting 3"-4" through tomorrow. Looks like once again they guessed half right.
Think positive - LOL. Just checked the projected radar, more coming later this afternoon, central to north. 84% chance of rain Wednesday, albeit not a a lot of rain. At this point anything is better then nothing.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:53 pm

cappy wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:25 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:06 pm
martalus wrote:
Think positive - LOL. Just checked the projected radar, more coming later this afternoon, central to north. 84% chance of rain Wednesday, albeit not a a lot of rain. At this point anything is better then nothing.
Agreed, but I'm not going to be happy until we actually see flows reach normal or close. My stream work this summer has been a real PITA since we need to build in "average summer flows". That means our structures this summer need to look too high and "bony" so that they will be the correct height when flows return to normal.

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:03 pm

Looks like the SBR bumped up just over median flows. Not sure if flows are still rising or if they have hit their peak. Hopefully the additional showers will sustain flows a bit.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:27 am

martalus wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:03 pm
Looks like the SBR bumped up just over median flows. Not sure if flows are still rising or if they have hit their peak. Hopefully the additional showers will sustain flows a bit.
I live in the SBR headwaters and we wound up with only 1 3/4". The High Bridge gauge spiked last night and is about back to median flows and headed down below those since our groundwater is so depleted currently. But it's a start! That and cooler weather are helping now.

kype

Post by kype » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:25 am

sept is looking better. last weeks rain. today. and the future forcast looks like more rain coming. every little bit helps. hoping this trend stays into oct.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:43 pm

kype wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:25 am
sept is looking better. last weeks rain. today. and the future forcast looks like more rain coming. every little bit helps. hoping this trend stays into oct.
Ive been bypassing NJ trout all summer. Looks like I mite be doing this for the rest of the year. Mite have to take more trips up the NYS waters :D
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:14 am

Not to much rain but temps are certainly great. It feels like fall! Right on time.

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:09 pm

Well, water temps are certainly no longer a factor but lows are darned low. Looking at the radar, there is some decent rain pushing off the ocean into NW NJ now.