DC and VCB

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
martalus

DC and VCB

Post by martalus » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:17 pm

Has anyone fished these streams lately? Are the brookies still holding on or have browns and rainbows taken over? Although popular and often heavily trafficked, these used to be some of my favorite streams due to the natural beauty, public access, and good density of multiple species of wild trout, including real big ones. Does anyone have any reports for nostalgia sake? Also, where is NJAngler??

martalus

Re: DC and VCB

Post by martalus » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:13 am

Buehler, anyone, anyone?

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:39 pm

Funny for as many places I've fished in NJ, I've never made it to either DC or VCB.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:08 pm

Haven't been to either in a few years. I stay away from DC during the prime hiking season, which is most of the year - LOL, and weekends.

As for VCB I always parked at Millbrook Village and fished from there. The Glen is crowded with hikers and fisherman.
Need to find a more secluded spot to park and fish. Any suggestions shoot me a PM
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:11 am

I don't have any better suggestions. I used to park at the Glen and spend a full day hiking as far as I could and then walk back on Old Mine road. I somehow always managed to do well, even on somewhat crowded fall and early spring days. Those big pools always yielded fish unless someone was actively throwing rocks or having their dog swim in water. Also there were sections that got further away from the trail as I remember. Above the village is a nice forest but the brookies and bows got smaller as the stream got smaller. No matter what, even if there were lots of people, I always enjoyed being on VCB as it felt like you stepped back in history. Also, the Minisink area (in and around the water gap) held great spiritual and cultural significance for the Lenape and I always kind of picked up that vibe when I was there.

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:44 am

Above the village is better than below. That being said last time I was there the downfalls across the stream were really tough to deal with with. Sandy and other wind events took down a lot of the tall trees. It got real bad at one point and I turned around, that was the last time I was there. I don't mind the small fish, I just grab the appropriate Tenkara rod for the task at hand.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:54 pm

Cappy, I only fished dc once or twice since Sandy and all my favorite spots were gone. It didn't seem to have as many pools I could get to.