Long Beach Island With The Flyrod?

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
theBWproject

Long Beach Island With The Flyrod?

Post by theBWproject » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:31 am

Going to be spending some time down in LBI this summer. Recently picked up a 9wt and want to see if I can get some time in the water with it down there. Does anyone know some spots that would make sense wading on LBI? I don't have access to a boat so I have to be able to wade.

Been looking online for any clues but cant find much. Any help will be grateful. Thank you.

barkeater

Re: Long Beach Island With The Flyrod?

Post by barkeater » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:20 pm

I've seen people fly fishing off the south jetty in Barnegat Light. You need a south or better southwesterly wind for optimal conditions and don't even think about it with a wind coming out of the north as you will be eating your fly. Be careful on the rocks. Korkers would be a plus. Outgoing tide is best as it sweeps food out of the bay.

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:55 pm

There is a bayside pier behind Morrison's Marina in Beach Haven. You can probably entertain yourself putzing around for snapper blues.

Vance

Post by Vance » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:48 am

Hello, Go to the lighthouse and park in the parking lot. You want to fish to the right of the inlet and jetty. The water sweeps around the jetty and to the right down towards the beach. You will see what I’m talking about when you get there and start fishing. I caught my biggest bluefish there a few years ago. I was fishing about 100 yds. down from the jetty. The other place is on the bay side where the state property is. You could always park on the street and then the local yokels had Barnegat light put up no parking signs. There is probably about enough room for 2or 3 cars only now. If your new to the area it would get cufusing if I tried to give you directions. The reason I know of these places is that I live in Manahawkin and to get to LBI you have to go through Manahawkin. Bill the mailman

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:08 pm

You can probably hit the bayside near the park by Bay Village. There are also some other public parks that border the bay but it'd be a early/late thing cause they get crowded with kids. I've also seen people flyfish the jetties on the ocean side. Again an early/late thing to avoid the swimmers. And yes if you are going to climb the jetties use Korkers or spikes.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

46er

Post by 46er » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Head over to High Bar Harbor in Barnegat Light, park at the end of Sunset Blvd and walk out. Close to the channel on the inlet side, some nice flats on the bay side. Check a map and watch the tides.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

theBWproject

Post by theBWproject » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:53 am

Found this on the bay side because the ocean winds were too strong. Not a Bass but it was fun! Thanks for all the spots.
Attachments
IMG_6626.JPG
IMG_6626.JPG (199.66 KiB) Viewed 16698 times

robtf

Post by robtf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:51 pm

You can do worse (a skunk :D) than a bluefish.

Sandy Hook, late May, outgoing tide, at the rip... can have epic flyfishing times out there
----

living in the land of clammies