Water Temps

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
njcatchrelease

Water Temps

Post by njcatchrelease » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Does anyone know if there is a website like the USGS WaterWatch https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?r ... yzmlguX_Je site or the Water.Weather.gov https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=phi site that includes water temperature data as well as stream flow data? I see all the stream flow info but I cannot find a way see water temps. I thought most of the stations recorded water temps as well as flow data.
Tight Lines

lightenup

Re: Water Temps

Post by lightenup » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:35 pm

I haven't seen temps either, so I just drive to the river and check...it was too warm Monday..the SBR and The Pequest..I am assuming it is still too warm except in the AM, and after today, probably all the time...a heat wave is coming!!

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:08 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:35 pm
I haven't seen temps either, so I just drive to the river and check...it was too warm Monday..the SBR and The Pequest..I am assuming it is still too warm except in the AM, and after today, probably all the time...a heat wave is coming!!
I was thinking that trout fishing the main rivers is close to being over for a while because of the higher temps. Might be time to start bass fishing!
Tight Lines

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:30 am

njcatchrelease wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:50 pm
Does anyone know if there is a website like the USGS WaterWatch https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?r ... yzmlguX_Je site or the Water.Weather.gov https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=phi site that includes water temperature data as well as stream flow data? I see all the stream flow info but I cannot find a way see water temps. I thought most of the stations recorded water temps as well as flow data.
If memory serves, only Spruce Run Creek has a temperature gauge on it for the trout streams and rivers in NJ. That said, the Musky was hovering at 68F in the limestone belt late last week while we were restoring the A-Frame property, so after today, too hot to fish for trout and practice C&R. At least for some time. And we never got the rains we needed to climb out of a 9 years near-drought as evidenced by current flows which are below normal once again. Even after some heavy rains last night, most river gauges barely moved by this morning.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:56 am

Do you think the smaller streams like DFC or VCB would be OK to fish? I was hoping to get out early Saturday morning before it gets real hot.
Tight Lines

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:50 pm

I have fished some of those in blistering heat and temps were cold. I like adequate water to fish those though, not sure if you have that now.

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Time to leave the wild ones alone, also recommend holding off fishing streams that holdover well. Try for bass in the Big-D or lower SBR or do what I do, spend time at the range slinging lead down range. If you must fish for trout consider the Pennsy limestone streams, always cold with good flows, and it's typical to find the streams pretty empty this time of year.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 am

I agree with the others. Give the trout a 2 month break right now and by September it will be cool enough again to get after them. Of course we can always have a cool, wet period this summer that gets you back in the rivers and streams. But we now have super high daytime temps and below average flows which means too hot to trout fish.

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am

I'm done for the summer unless we get an unusual cold snap. Time to hit the beach.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:03 pm

barkeater wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am
I'm done for the summer unless we get an unusual cold snap. Time to hit the beach.
The outfitter just sent me these photos of the lodge I'll be at in less than two weeks. Labrador and way up there. So much for global warming. :)
snow at McKenzie River Lodge.jpg
snow at McKenzie River Lodge.jpg (66.36 KiB) Viewed 18760 times
snow at McKenzie River Lodge 2.jpg
snow at McKenzie River Lodge 2.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 18760 times

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:07 pm

those are recent pix?!

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:47 am

Didn't know you were into ice fishing. :D

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Razorbacker wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:07 pm
those are recent pix?!
A week ago today (Saturday the 23rd). Looks like they had to cancel their first week's booking and are starting to fly in guests tomorrow for next week. We fly in on Sunday the 8th in the morning to camp. They said to us yesterday that they just got the dock in for the big Otter floatplane and that ice is now nearly entirely out. That's in less than one week, so it got much hotter up there as well apparently. But we are told to expect night temps in the 40s and snow on the ground in shady places. This is my epic wild, big brookie trip on the fly and hopefully many on the dry fly. Will post upon my return as we won't have contact with the outside world for over a week. :)

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 pm

That's one of the trips o want to do in future. I expect some pics. What size rods will you be fishing.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:52 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 pm
That's one of the trips o want to do in future. I expect some pics. What size rods will you be fishing.
Pix in a couple of weeks when I get back. I'm taking my T&T No Sanctuary 9 foot for 5 weight with a Hatch reel. I'm also taking my new Douglas SKY 7 weight which is also a 9 footer and matched to a Ross Evolution reel. Those are for brookies, landlocked Atlantic salmon, whitefish, and lake trout. I'm bringing my 9' for 9 weight Loomis for pike which is a one day target and provider of our shore lunch if we catch some that day. Big dries, big streamers and hopefully big fish :D

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:52 pm
joe_panella wrote:
Pix in a couple of weeks when I get back. I'm taking my T&T No Sanctuary 9 foot for 5 weight with a Hatch reel. I'm also taking my new Douglas SKY 7 weight which is also a 9 footer and matched to a Ross Evolution reel. Those are for brookies, landlocked Atlantic salmon, whitefish, and lake trout. I'm bringing my 9' for 9 weight Loomis for pike which is a one day target and provider of our shore lunch if we catch some that day. Big dries, big streamers and hopefully big fish :D
If you want a Stone 8' 5wt bamboo to take with you let me know, it is a 3 piece. It is a nice dry fly rod. You can pick it up anytime. It is not a drastic change from graphite as some bamboo.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:58 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:42 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:52 pm
joe_panella wrote:
If you want a Stone 8' 5wt bamboo to take with you let me know, it is a 3 piece. It is a nice dry fly rod. You can pick it up anytime. It is not a drastic change from graphite as some bamboo.
We are highly limited in weight on this trip to 55 lbs. per person, max. And they weigh our gear and each of us. But thanks for the offer. We were able to have beer flown in recently for our trip so it wouldn't count against our weight limits. :)

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Safe trip and best of luck. Trip of a lifetime for me.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:19 am

cappy wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:09 pm
Safe trip and best of luck. Trip of a lifetime for me.
Thanks and thanks to the others that reached out as well. Leaving NJ later today and out of communication until the 17th more or less. Can't believe I'm going to be standing in the snow in three short days.....

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm