Low water/flow tactics

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
dbarr15

Low water/flow tactics

Post by dbarr15 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Would anyone like to share a few low water/flow tactics for trout fishing? Went out to KLG on Tuesday after being away for 3 weeks and found it very difficult to find fish. I was there in the early AM so temps. were ok.
Doug

lightenup

Re: Low water/flow tactics

Post by lightenup » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Less weight, be stealthy, longer leader, lighter tippet....that's all I got, anyone else, I could use some tips in this area as well.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:03 am

If you can see the trout, the trout can see you. Stealth is key. The fish are there. KLG is mostly pocket water, so focus there because there's likely to be 2 anglers standing in every pool right now. Stand behind the boulders or crouch down to avoid spooking the fish. Work the pockets and keep moving. A few decent casts in each likely spot and move on. And it's mostly small stuff like midges this time of year. Tricos have begun, but not a good hatch in the Gorge because they prefer a silty bottom which steeper gradient sections like the KLG don't provide. And that is a very early morning hatch.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:14 am

Long leaders , light tippets , presenting small nymphs drag free this way is probably done best using a dry/dropper technique.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:03 am

I usually just look for moving water like water in the klg you never see people fish. You can go dry dropper or soft hackles or relatively small nymphs. I don't use any split this time of year. I never fished the gorge this time of year, I never thought temps would be any good from the large bathtub in Califon. I usually like WTS after a rain.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:08 am

I saw a few guys in the gorge Friday evening , these will be the same guys saying " there are no fish in the gorge "in September before the fall stocking , after they stuck a bunch in 72°f water Friday night and killed whatever they hooked.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Too bad Round Valley Rez wasn't designed for deep, cold-water discharges. We could have had a nice little mini-tailwater outlet for a few miles.

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Razorbacker wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:31 pm
Too bad Round Valley Rez wasn't designed for deep, cold-water discharges. We could have had a nice little mini-tailwater outlet for a few miles.
I heard the water level is down in RV, can anyone confirm?
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:56 am

Apparently a small stream is fed by some water that seeps out of the reservoir, but it is not a proper tail water. At 150-200 feet deep, it would have provided significant amounts of cold water if it had been designed differently!

Even though it is in south jersey, the Toms is one that stays cold all summer should you have the itch.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:07 pm
Razorbacker wrote:
Yes, RV is very low. I believe its either for dam repairs or inspections. Its definitely not for lack of rain!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:49 am

Twism86 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 pm
garden hackle wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:07 pm
Razorbacker wrote:
Yes, RV is very low. I believe its either for dam repairs or inspections. Its definitely not for lack of rain!
Round valley has little to no water entering it from natural sources:
Round Valley is slow to fill up because water has to get pumped in from the South Branch of the Raritan River. Officials said that section of the river is not so big, and during large storms in the winter and spring it didn’t receive as much rain as surrounding areas.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!