anyone getting out?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
martalus
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

anyone getting out?

Post by martalus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 am

Seems like you guys are getting good rain with water temps that are fishable-anyone getting out? Flow must be pretty good for small stream fishing! Are fish starting to move towards spawning areas?

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:31 am

I have not, but have done some saltwater fishing from boats this summer. Too early for trout to move up to spawn. But another couple of weeks or so and some may be thinking about it. We so very desperately need a good wild trout spawning year! Recent electrofishing results have shown significant decreases in wild fish in most rivers and streams. It's not just having poor flows during the spawn, it's low waters all year which concentrates predation of the juvenile fish. But at least we're looking solid so far as fall approaches.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by lightenup » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Haven't been able to get out since the temps have risen, but the lack of wild trout was very evident this spring in the local streams...caught a couple but nothing like years past....Rusty, the stream behind McDonald's is hurting badly, any info on why it missing so many wild fish? It hasn't been stocked in decades, predatory fish are very few and far between in that little trickle, and the numbers were amazing three years ago..many wild fish in every pool...something drastic has happened...you know the stream I'm talking about, if not PM me... :cry:

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 am

lightenup wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:12 pm
Haven't been able to get out since the temps have risen, but the lack of wild trout was very evident this spring in the local streams...caught a couple but nothing like years past....Rusty, the stream behind McDonald's is hurting badly, any info on why it missing so many wild fish? It hasn't been stocked in decades, predatory fish are very few and far between in that little trickle, and the numbers were amazing three years ago..many wild fish in every pool...something drastic has happened...you know the stream I'm talking about, if not PM me... :cry:
Know the stream but not the issues other than very low summer flows for several years until this year. Let me reach out to the biologist and see what he has to say. But suffice to say that wild trout numbers even in our better streams are way down. We need at least one strong spawning season, and maybe that is this year. But even then, you're looking at another 2-3 years to see those fish mature.

Are you aware of any major changes to/along that stream? I am not, but I'm not around it like you are...
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by martalus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 am

Does having less fish from certain year classes mean that they will grow bigger due to less competition for food?

theBWproject
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by theBWproject » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 am

Got out last Saturday and caught a handful of some trout.
Attachments
IMG_6735.jpg
IMG_6735.jpg (243.94 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by lightenup » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 am
lightenup wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:12 pm
Haven't been able to get out since the temps have risen, but the lack of wild trout was very evident this spring in the local streams...caught a couple but nothing like years past....Rusty, the stream behind McDonald's is hurting badly, any info on why it missing so many wild fish? It hasn't been stocked in decades, predatory fish are very few and far between in that little trickle, and the numbers were amazing three years ago..many wild fish in every pool...something drastic has happened...you know the stream I'm talking about, if not PM me... :cry:
Know the stream but not the issues other than very low summer flows for several years until this year. Let me reach out to the biologist and see what he has to say. But suffice to say that wild trout numbers even in our better streams are way down. We need at least one strong spawning season, and maybe that is this year. But even then, you're looking at another 2-3 years to see those fish mature.

Are you aware of any major changes to/along that stream? I am not, but I'm not around it like you are...
I haven't, but someone could spill or dump fertilizer or other bad things in that creek and no one would ever know....as you know it is probably 99% posted.

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by njcatchrelease » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm not sure which stream you are referencing but on the small wild trout streams I have been fishing I have noticed a lot of blue herons, more than in the past. Those guys must be affecting the trout populations.
Tight Lines

garden hackle
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by garden hackle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 pm

njcatchrelease wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:06 pm
I'm not sure which stream you are referencing but on the small wild trout streams I have been fishing I have noticed a lot of blue herons, more than in the past. Those guys must be affecting the trout populations.
Too many angler “tweeting” favorite fishing locations! Don’t they know herons search Tweets to know where the trout are? We can only blame ourselves.

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by lightenup » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:34 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 pm
njcatchrelease wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:06 pm
I'm not sure which stream you are referencing but on the small wild trout streams I have been fishing I have noticed a lot of blue herons, more than in the past. Those guys must be affecting the trout populations.
Too many angler “tweeting” favorite fishing locations! Don’t they know herons search Tweets to know where the trout are? We can only blame ourselves.
Rarely see Herons on this stream, as it's a secret..lmao...no really, rarely do I see them there, kind of odd, for in the past there were soooo many wild browns it was almost silly...

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 am

lightenup wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:34 pm
garden hackle wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 pm
njcatchrelease wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:06 pm
I'm not sure which stream you are referencing but on the small wild trout streams I have been fishing I have noticed a lot of blue herons, more than in the past. Those guys must be affecting the trout populations.
Too many angler “tweeting” favorite fishing locations! Don’t they know herons search Tweets to know where the trout are? We can only blame ourselves.
Rarely see Herons on this stream, as it's a secret..lmao...no really, rarely do I see them there, kind of odd, for in the past there were soooo many wild browns it was almost silly...
I was in the Catskills yesterday for work. A native brook trout stream that also sees a spring rainbow spawning run. The landowner was saying the same thing - we have had poor recruitment years for several years and the low water we have had year round lately has increased predation of juvenile trout by avian, fish and other predators. This year is our sole exception and now we need these higher water levels to stay well into the spawning season and beyond to begin to increase wild trout numbers throughout the northeast.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

NJpatbee
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by NJpatbee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 am
lightenup wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:34 pm
garden hackle wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 pm


Too many angler “tweeting” favorite fishing locations! Don’t they know herons search Tweets to know where the trout are? We can only blame ourselves.
Rarely see Herons on this stream, as it's a secret..lmao...no really, rarely do I see them there, kind of odd, for in the past there were soooo many wild browns it was almost silly...
I was in the Catskills yesterday for work. A native brook trout stream that also sees a spring rainbow spawning run. The landowner was saying the same thing - we have had poor recruitment years for several years and the low water we have had year round lately has increased predation of juvenile trout by avian, fish and other predators. This year is our sole exception and now we need these higher water levels to stay well into the spawning season and beyond to begin to increase wild trout numbers throughout the northeast.
The remnants of Florence should help.

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 am

I haven't been out in a while. I'm at the point in my (family) life where fly fishing is a Spring activity. Our family has been enjoying sailing boats in the Fall during the last few years so that's where our Fall weekends have been going. Spring's wild temps & inconsistent winds are not ideal for sailing imo but it's fine for fly fishing. BIGGER

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:50 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 am
I haven't been out in a while. I'm at the point in my (family) life where fly fishing is a Spring activity. Our family has been enjoying sailing boats in the Fall during the last few years so that's where our Fall weekends have been going. Spring's wild temps & inconsistent winds are not ideal for sailing imo but it's fine for fly fishing. BIGGER
Being a fishing site, your post reminded me of my kid brother and I both sailing and fishing at the same time. Each summer we would visit my Aunt and Uncle and cousins on Cape Cod. They had sailboats including a sunfish which both my brother and I knew well (we also owned a sunfish sailboat). We would actually troll successfully for bluefish from the "sunnie". The trick was not getting bit by one after you caught it and tossed it on the well where your legs and feet belong. That and not whacking your brother in the head with the boom when one of us caught a fish and needed to stop sailing to fight it. I remember almost knocking my brother out on one particular big blue because I came around into the wind too fast. :)
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
Drossi
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by Drossi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Yesterday morning as a matter of fact. Fall was in the air. Only was able to sneak away for an hour of fishing yesterday. What to do, what to do....chase holdover stockies.....nah....explore the wild side! One brown to the net and a few other ldr. Not a bad Sunday morning stroll.
Attachments
IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG (218.79 KiB) Viewed 826 times
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG (61.77 KiB) Viewed 827 times
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG (61.62 KiB) Viewed 827 times
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Is that brown wild? Looks like a stockie on my end.

User avatar
Drossi
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by Drossi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:42 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm
Is that brown wild? Looks like a stockie on my end.
Well I got it from the upper SBR wild trout section and I know NJ doesn't stock browns so I gotta believe it's wild (power of deductive reasoning). I don't think its big enough to be a rouge club stocked fish.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by lightenup » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:34 pm

I say wild..looks like an SBR wild fish, full fins, red halo on the adipose, smiled for the picture, really small....now lets argue for days over it!!!! :D

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Maybe it's the pixelation on my 2004 laptop....

theBWproject
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: anyone getting out?

Post by theBWproject » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:05 am

Got out last Sat afternoon for a few. Flows + temps were great.
Attachments
IMG_6976.JPG
IMG_6976.JPG (184.78 KiB) Viewed 571 times

Post Reply