SBRR the premier trout stream?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Post Reply
rollcast
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 pm

SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by rollcast » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Admittedly I haven't followed trout stream regulations much since i'm 100% C&R, but reading the compendium this year I noticed the SBRR regulations on the upper section. Has this river become the premier trout fishing river in NJ? I've fished upstream from High Bridge the most in the last fifteen years, and have enjoyed loads of trout on my line, notably a wild 14" brookie and 22" wild brown, small wild rainbows, LOTS of beautiful large rainbows that were obviously holdovers, among MANY great fish.

Of course, the section of RR in Manville holds promise...

Dave

Troutman
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Thou Ken Lockwood Gorge is nice. I find other rivers just as or nicer. The lower Musky for me get much love. Imo the Musky Gorge is way nicer & lower fishing psi. The Pequest is a great contender also. Big Flat Brook is okay. But has seen its better days. Paulingskill has some nice spots in more obscured area's that you have to hike a bit.
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 am

I guess it all depends on your definition of what "premier" means. I have always categorized the SBR from Budd Lake to the Solitude Dam at the bottom of the Gorge below the private Solitude Club as the best larger water trout stream in NJ, hands down. That would mean better in that regard than the Musky, Pequest, Paulinskill, Lopatcong, Pohatcong, Flatbrook, Rockaway, Pequannock, etc. At least when it comes to wild trout in decent numbers. The Division wanted to see if the upper SBR can be a solid wild trout fishery with a focus on our native brook trout and our wild brown trout that inhabit that section of the river for the most part in what is now unstocked water from the Budd Lake dam downstream to the Schooley Mountain Road bridge (actually, the old mill dam just upstream of that bridge) in downtown Long Valley. But when it comes to pure wild trout numbers, some of the smaller streams would be far better than the SBR in that area.

But "premier" might mean fishing open water just below a private club and catching many big, stocked fish for some. It might mean putting a beat down on fresh stockies for others. And it might be chasing the native brookie over 13" or wild brown over 20" for others.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by lightenup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:44 pm

There are no trout in the SBR, go fish the Pequest Hatchery run, all the fish in the state are there!!! :D :roll:

robtf
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by robtf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Troutman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 pm
Thou Ken Lockwood Gorge is nice. I find other rivers just as or nicer. The lower Musky for me get much love. Imo the Musky Gorge is way nicer & lower fishing psi. The Pequest is a great contender also. Big Flat Brook is okay. But has seen its better days. Paulingskill has some nice spots in more obscured area's that you have to hike a bit.
I keep waiting for Brian to guide me to the Musky gorge :D

Seriously, been meaning to get there for years, but my fishing days per year keep going down (instead of up) as I get older, and the distance to fish increased (for trout, anyways) significantly.
Puts a crimp on getting there.

Enough crying, love all the "major" trout waters I've been to. Love wild, stocked, and any species (except stocked bows in the south jersey waters, always loved brookies more "down here")
----

living in the land of clammies

Troutman
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by Troutman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 pm

robtf wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:58 pm
Troutman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 pm
Thou Ken Lockwood Gorge is nice. I find other rivers just as or nicer. The lower Musky for me get much love. Imo the Musky Gorge is way nicer & lower fishing psi. The Pequest is a great contender also. Big Flat Brook is okay. But has seen its better days. Paulingskill has some nice spots in more obscured area's that you have to hike a bit.
I keep waiting for Brian to guide me to the Musky gorge :D

Seriously, been meaning to get there for years, but my fishing days per year keep going down (instead of up) as I get older, and the distance to fish increased (for trout, anyways) significantly.
Puts a crimp on getting there.

Enough crying, love all the "major" trout waters I've been to. Love wild, stocked, and any species (except stocked bows in the south jersey waters, always loved brookies more "down here")
I fished it occasionally . But its a long azz hike into it. I can imagine their will be more trout in that area now since they blew down the Hughesville Dam. Trout can not migrate up there. The Warren Glen Dam is the next obstacle from the Delaware River
Was known as Troutman1

NJpatbee
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by NJpatbee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:07 am

I would say that the SBRR is the most productive wild trout mid-sized stream in NJ and hopefully additional land around the watershed will be protected.

troutfishing4life
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Chatham

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by troutfishing4life » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:05 am

For wild trout i would agree its the best river we have. Got a nice wild brown there last week.

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:45 am

NJpatbee wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:07 am
I would say that the SBRR is the most productive wild trout mid-sized stream in NJ and hopefully additional land around the watershed will be protected.
I second Pat's response, with "mid-sized stream" emphasized. I know far better smaller streams for wild trout (i.e., ones you can leap over). Now, whether you can access them legally is another point entirely :lol:

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by lightenup » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:31 pm

How the heck do I create a URL out of my photo pf the KLG fish I want to post..It was a nice wild brown, so Yes, The SBR is the premier medium sized wild trout fishery in NJ, just in my limited experience. It used to be better, but it still holds them.
Image

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by lightenup » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:36 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:31 pm
How the heck do I create a URL out of my photo pf the KLG fish I want to post..It was a nice wild brown, so Yes, The SBR is the premier medium sized wild trout fishery in NJ, just in my limited experience. It used to be better, but it still holds them.
Image
You can see it on NEFF. it's easy to put pictures up there...lol ;)

Jaybird
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by Jaybird » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Copy paste a link to your IG

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by lightenup » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:37 pm
Copy paste a link to your IG
Hahaha, I don't know how to do that... :roll: :D

User avatar
NJAngler
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by NJAngler » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:25 pm

I'd rank it about 40th in NJ. lol

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: SBRR the premier trout stream?

Post by lightenup » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks, I think i figured it out...https://www.instagram.com/p/BvKSAlQjh8f/

Post Reply