March Flytying Madness This Sunday 03/24 at the Pequest

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Jaybird

March Flytying Madness This Sunday 03/24 at the Pequest

Post by Jaybird » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:06 am

The Rahway River TU chapter hosts this annual event to benefit Casting For Recovery, Wounded Warriors, and Project Healing Waters. This year's event will once again be held at the Pequest Trout Hatchery's education building on Sunday, March 24th @9am but all 10 NJTU chapters as well as CFR and PHW members will be on hand to tie flies to donate to these excellent organizations. RRTU will prepare lunch and have gift bags for all and raffle drawings every fifteen minutes throughout the day. Come out and work off those winter blues and get your tying game on for a great cause!
Some excellent prizes this year , breakfast and lunch provided , and you don't have to be a TU member to participate , just tie some flies and donate them to our friends at Casting for Recovery , Project Healing Waters and TU veteran program .

lightenup

Re: March Flytying Madness This Sunday 03/24 at the Pequest

Post by lightenup » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 pm

How late does this go? Can we just show up with a vise? Bring materials or are they already there? I may have an hour or two in the afternoon.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:52 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 pm
How late does this go? Can we just show up with a vise? Bring materials or are they already there? I may have an hour or two in the afternoon.
It goes to 3ish but you don't have to stay the whole time, bring your vise some materials whip up some flies and leave when you want , even is you wanna just drop off some flies to donate that's great .Now understand you have to be there to win prizes but that's really not what this event is about anyway .

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:06 pm

See everyone on Sunday.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:12 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:52 pm
lightenup wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 pm
It goes to 3ish but you don't have to stay the whole time, bring your vise some materials whip up some flies and leave when you want , even is you wanna just drop off some flies to donate that's great .Now understand you have to be there to win prizes but that's really not what this event is about anyway .
Thanks!!!!!

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:40 pm

I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:03 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:40 pm
I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones.
What happened? :D

We had another great turnout again this year and the Rahway River TU crew got it done in style. The room was packed all day long and the food was fantastic as well. Lots of flies tied for Project Healing Waters and Casting For Recovery.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:54 pm

What can I say? Errands took longer than I thought, an appointment ran over, and before I knew it, the clock had struck 2:30.

Glad to hear the event was successful tho!
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:46 am

All in all it was very successful event , 75 total tiers attended , all 10 New Jersey Chapters of Trout Unlimited were represented , 2 Pennsylvania Chapters were represented , and I think the approximate number of flies was way over 2000. Some really generous tiers went above and beyond donating hundreds of theyer own creations . It's impressive to see a shoe box full of wooly buggers . Also Author Steven Sauntner brought in a mannequin head with a mop fly toupee that was pretty cool .

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am

Jaybird wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:46 am
All in all it was very successful event , 75 total tiers attended , all 10 New Jersey Chapters of Trout Unlimited were represented , 2 Pennsylvania Chapters were represented , and I think the approximate number of flies was way over 2000. Some really generous tiers went above and beyond donating hundreds of theyer own creations . It's impressive to see a shoe box full of wooly buggers . Also Author Steven Sauntner brought in a mannequin head with a mop fly toupee that was pretty cool .
Mop Head.jpg
Mop Head.jpg (139.48 KiB) Viewed 9802 times