poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Post Reply
User avatar
229oz
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 pm

poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by 229oz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:04 pm

My buddy Eric was on the river in the lower Claremont section of the SB on 4/25 and saw a guy and his two sons pulling fish out of a pool. They had a stringer of fish that they took with them and were bait fishing. He said when he engaged them to tell them no bait in that area, they complained about the lack of quick action and only upon their leaving did he see that they had a stringer.
This area is a wild trout production area and 100% catch and release.
They reason I bring this up is that there are a lot of morons like this. The area used to be, but is not now, clearly marked as to its status.
Who can I contact to get some c&r signs from the state? Ill be happy to post them to hopefully prevent this behavior again in the future.
The fact that this guy kept what were likely wild fish from an area that frankly, doesn't have an abundant trout population, just sucks. It also sucks that he is teaching his sons bad behavior, by not knowing the regs in that stretch.

garden hackle
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by garden hackle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm

I believe there is now an app for that, but the phone number still works.
(800) 222-0456
Always take picture, either discreetly or right in their face (depending on your comfort level).

You may not get quick response, but at least they have a record of the violation.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:57 am

Call the Lebanon Fisheries Lab and ask for Shawn Crouse, principal fisheries biologist for the Raritan basin. He can help steer you on any signs, but the Division likely has none for this area or they themselves would have put them up. The new(ish) regs cover about 9.5 miles of the river from Budd Lake down to the old remnant dam just upstream of old route 24 in Long Valley. If you get signs, I'm more than happy to help put them up as I live there. I have noticed that the Division stocking signs are now all down, and I am noticing fewer and fewer anglers trying for trout in what used to be stocked areas. I think most catch and kill anglers that get skunked a few times and see the signs down will just move on soon and I feel I'm seeing that up on this stretch now. But a license plate number is all you need to call it (violation) in and then let a CO take it from there.

Lebanon Fisheries Lab is 908-236-2118. Here's info for anyone not already having it on your smart phone about how to turn in a poacher: https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ogt.htm
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by lightenup » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:24 pm

I called the number on the signs in the KLG once as a couple of dicks were worm dunking after a storm...the lady who answered the phone sounded lost until I explained for a 3rd time, this is the number on the sign...she got it then, asked me my phone number, and to wait for a call back. I got a call no more than two minutes later from an officer who said he would be there in ten minutes....I took off, as the worm dunkers had neck tattoos and missing teeth, and I wanted no trouble, The officer knew exactly where the meat hole was so I'm thinking they were caught....also a bottle of powerbait was hanging out of his pocket..HEATHENS!!!;) :D :D :D :D :D

brookie222
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:31 am

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by brookie222 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 am

Brian--

Thanks for the link for reporting poachers, but the instructions appear to be clear as a muddy river after a rainstorm. The NJ-OGT page says that the number given should be used only for HUNTING violations (not fishing violations?). There are several other phone numbers given, but it is not clear which, if any, should be used to report poachers. Can you provide any clarification on this?

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:50 pm

brookie222 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 am
Brian--

Thanks for the link for reporting poachers, but the instructions appear to be clear as a muddy river after a rainstorm. The NJ-OGT page says that the number given should be used only for HUNTING violations (not fishing violations?). There are several other phone numbers given, but it is not clear which, if any, should be used to report poachers. Can you provide any clarification on this?
Use this, it's the Northern Region Office where they dispatch the COs. That # is 908-735-8240. I also have several personal cell phones or Division cell phones for the local COs stored, but unless you know how quickly they move around or leave for better paying jobs to other states, it's best just to call the Northern Region Office in Clinton.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

brookie222
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:31 am

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by brookie222 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks. Just read your post. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. Could have used it yesterday. There were 2 guys spin fishing in the South Branch at the Arches in High Bridge yesterday, one above and one below, at about 2:30 yesterday. Hope the authorities saw them too. Maybe that area needs to be posted again with the regs. I'll put the number in my cellphone.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 01, 2019 9:36 am

brookie222 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:48 am
Thanks. Just read your post. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. Could have used it yesterday. There were 2 guys spin fishing in the South Branch at the Arches in High Bridge yesterday, one above and one below, at about 2:30 yesterday. Hope the authorities saw them too. Maybe that area needs to be posted again with the regs. I'll put the number in my cellphone.
The SBR at High Bridge is general regulations waters. I'm not familiar with the "arches" however. The KLG lies in Lebanon Twp. and spin is allowed, just no bait.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by lightenup » Wed May 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:36 am
brookie222 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:48 am
Thanks. Just read your post. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. Could have used it yesterday. There were 2 guys spin fishing in the South Branch at the Arches in High Bridge yesterday, one above and one below, at about 2:30 yesterday. Hope the authorities saw them too. Maybe that area needs to be posted again with the regs. I'll put the number in my cellphone.
The SBR at High Bridge is general regulations waters. I'm not familiar with the "arches" however. The KLG lies in Lebanon Twp. and spin is allowed, just no bait.
Rusty, the "arches" are the two tunnels by the High Bridge little league fields...One is a road and one is for the river. It is a very popular meat spot, and general regulations for sure.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: poaching in Claremont section above the grist mill

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 01, 2019 2:56 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:16 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:36 am
brookie222 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:48 am
Thanks. Just read your post. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. Could have used it yesterday. There were 2 guys spin fishing in the South Branch at the Arches in High Bridge yesterday, one above and one below, at about 2:30 yesterday. Hope the authorities saw them too. Maybe that area needs to be posted again with the regs. I'll put the number in my cellphone.
The SBR at High Bridge is general regulations waters. I'm not familiar with the "arches" however. The KLG lies in Lebanon Twp. and spin is allowed, just no bait.
Rusty, the "arches" are the two tunnels by the High Bridge little league fields...One is a road and one is for the river. It is a very popular meat spot, and general regulations for sure.
I have never fished below the Solitude Lake dam myself. So I don't know that water well although I know down by Gronsky's is a popular spot. I just realized that yesterday was Tuesday which is a stocking day on that river, and that is the violation. At least before 5pm. I hate that stupid law, but only because I'm a snobby fly fishing, catch and release only angler. :D
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Post Reply