Wader recomendations

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
dbarr15
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:43 am

Wader recomendations

Post by dbarr15 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:02 pm

OK, so I have had the Redington Palix River Waders for the past two years and am getting fed up with with finding and patching leaks. I would gladly pay more for a "better" Stronger" pair of waders that might hold up better. I have been fishing 100+ days a year in all kinds of weather. What do you think the useful life of a pair of waders is? Will I be happier with a pair of Simms G3's or the new Orvis Pro (both around $500) or just buy a new set of Redingtons and just toss them after they have worn out and buy new again. Durability and leak free is more important to me than pockets and patches and zippers and ETC....

Let me know what you think?
Thanks
Doug

Jaybird
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Jaybird » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:04 pm

How many times a year do you fish ? Cause I don't care what the brand is if you use them over 30xs a year , they ain't lasting for long , that goes for Simms too . Like everything else in our society now this is just a disposable item . I drop $150 a year and it's the price of doing business .
You would think they would make better wader , but recently heard an industry guy say the best breathable waders ever made we're the first ones out from LL Bean .. Sad that's almost 25yrs ago and according to an industry guy they haven't done better .

PortMurrayAng
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by PortMurrayAng » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:24 pm

Cabellas neoprene waders. So far, indestructible.


I have all my old, holely waders for when its warm, but also got tired of patching and replacing them. I fish a ton and a single pricker can ruin a 200 dollar pair of the non neoprene type. Too many pricker bushes and other thorny plants to keep up with the holes and tears.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:33 am

I get or average 3 years out of a pair of waders and that's about it. I patch any and all pinholes that are typically caused by multi flora rose thorns while walking to or from the river. My guess is 90% of all wader leaks are directly associated with pinhole leaks and those are NEVER a reason to send them back to the manufacturer which only costs more for future waders for the rest of us. Just use rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad to wipe over the wet area until you see a very tiny dark spot and apply a single drop of Aqua Seal and problem solved forever for that hole and leak.

That said, buy the best you can afford and they will have more layers than the cheaper models and are often made with articulated knees which also helps reduce stress on seams. Waders are a business expense in my world, so I get only the best and replace as needed without worrying about cost because they are essential to my work. Simms G3s are a solid choice if you don't want or want to spend the $$ on the front zipper. I have the zipper now and will never go back.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Bubba Zinetti
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 am

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 am

Rusty is right. Pinhole leaks are easy to repair. He is also right that if you pay up and get more layers they will last longer. That has been my experience.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 am

One thing I have noticed over the decades is how unrealistic most owners of breathable waders are regarding the lifespan of their waders. Fredy who hasn't posted in long time is a good buddy, but he actually thinks waders should last a lifetime as advertised and he has sent every pair he's ever owned back multiple times. He famously burned his Simms waders on YouTube as I recall. But he fishes in them 5-6 days per week, year round. I have another buddy that used to argue with Fredy that Simms were the best, and to prove it he tells us he's had his same waders for nearly 20 years. Here's the big difference: Bob fishes parts of 4 days per year at my Trout Lout Camp to Fredy's abuse of his waders being worn over 300 days per year. Which one is correct? Neither, of course. Figure on heavy use and 3 years max.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:51 am

I picked up a pair of Frogg Toggs (Pilot II) waders from Sierra Trading post and really like them. I used them for about a year and have no complaints. They list for $229 on the Frogg Toggs website. Sierra Trading Post sells them for $119 and I was lucky enough to buy them when they had them on clearance for $79.

Check them out, you won't be disappointed.
Tight Lines

robtf
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by robtf » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:33 am
I get or average 3 years out of a pair of waders and that's about it. I patch any and all pinholes that are typically caused by multi flora rose thorns while walking to or from the river. My guess is 90% of all wader leaks are directly associated with pinhole leaks and those are NEVER a reason to send them back to the manufacturer which only costs more for future waders for the rest of us. Just use rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad to wipe over the wet area until you see a very tiny dark spot and apply a single drop of Aqua Seal and problem solved forever for that hole and leak.

That said, buy the best you can afford and they will have more layers than the cheaper models and are often made with articulated knees which also helps reduce stress on seams. Waders are a business expense in my world, so I get only the best and replace as needed without worrying about cost because they are essential to my work. Simms G3s are a solid choice if you don't want or want to spend the $$ on the front zipper. I have the zipper now and will never go back.
expand a little more on this technique to locate pinholes:

rubbing alcohol applied on the outside or inside "over the wet area"?

I get done with a "bad" pair and my pants are soaked... so, then .... ?

Also note, that since I wear bootfoot waders for the salt, I've never found Aquaseal to work very well. It's "ok" at slowing the leak but long term? nah.
----

living in the land of clammies

Bubba Zinetti
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 am

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 am

Hey Robtf,
Alcohol applied over the inside. Pinholes will show up as a darkened, or wet looking spot. Apply a slight smear of aquel or aquaseal or whatever wader repair stuff you use to the spot on the inside(no need to wait for the alcohol to dry). Let it dry and cure, and voila!
Our friends who fish almost every day of the season in Ireland usually gets 3 or 4 years out of his Simms waders.

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by lightenup » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 pm

I have tried several waders...cheap to expensive. Most last me a year, for $150.00 bucks, then start to leak. I broke down and bought a pair of Simms G4 wading pants, I'm a year in with no problems yet, and the fit is remarkable..if they don't last 5 more years and I get one warranty repair at least, back to the cheaps..
I "heard" SIMMS told Fredy to GTFOH with is returns and said he was abusing their waders on, that was on Instagram...I guess they got sick of repairing them and sending replacements..he bought Patagonia and I guess is enjoying them as he hasn't complained on IG yet... :D

garden hackle
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by garden hackle » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 am

Easy instructions, I haven’t tried it, but makes sense.

http://www.troutwranglers.com/about/blo ... -with-ease

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:35 am

lightenup wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 pm
I have tried several waders...cheap to expensive. Most last me a year, for $150.00 bucks, then start to leak. I broke down and bought a pair of Simms G4 wading pants, I'm a year in with no problems yet, and the fit is remarkable..if they don't last 5 more years and I get one warranty repair at least, back to the cheaps..
I "heard" SIMMS told Fredy to GTFOH with is returns and said he was abusing their waders on, that was on Instagram...I guess they got sick of repairing them and sending replacements..he bought Patagonia and I guess is enjoying them as he hasn't complained on IG yet... :D
No, he blew through the Pataguccis as well and moved on to Orvis which will be next on his list. :D
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:40 am

The word "leak" means different things to different anglers. If you pull off your waders after standing in the river for a bit and there are a couple of wet circles on your pants, those are going to likely be multiflora rose pinholes. Aqua Seal is your friend and just use the rubbing alcohol trick with your waders turned inside out. A seam leak is another thing. In all my years of wader wearing, I have yet to develop a leak at the seams. Lastly is the neoprene bootie on boot foot waders. They can wear out over time, and then it is time for new waders. But they shouldn't ever get holes in them as they are inside of your boots with gravel guards pulled down over them. They will only leak if totally worn through. Again, something I have never seen myself on my waders.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by lightenup » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:35 am
lightenup wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 pm
I have tried several waders...cheap to expensive. Most last me a year, for $150.00 bucks, then start to leak. I broke down and bought a pair of Simms G4 wading pants, I'm a year in with no problems yet, and the fit is remarkable..if they don't last 5 more years and I get one warranty repair at least, back to the cheaps..
I "heard" SIMMS told Fredy to GTFOH with is returns and said he was abusing their waders on, that was on Instagram...I guess they got sick of repairing them and sending replacements..he bought Patagonia and I guess is enjoying them as he hasn't complained on IG yet... :D
No, he blew through the Pataguccis as well and moved on to Orvis which will be next on his list. :D
Pretty soon, no one will sell him waders, he will be black listed and have to wet wade all year round!! ;)

robtf
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by robtf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:18 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 am
Hey Robtf,
Alcohol applied over the inside. Pinholes will show up as a darkened, or wet looking spot. Apply a slight smear of aquel or aquaseal or whatever wader repair stuff you use to the spot on the inside(no need to wait for the alcohol to dry). Let it dry and cure, and voila!
Our friends who fish almost every day of the season in Ireland usually gets 3 or 4 years out of his Simms waders.
thanks, Bubba!

as a sidenote, I have cabela's guideweight stocking foot waders that are well over 5 years old (I'm thinking 8, but my memory ain't what it used to be, and was never great :) )and still going strong.

but bootfoot waders seem to last a couple of seasons at most before the boot seam starts leaking at the boot joint, then by the next season, no amount of *seal will help
----

living in the land of clammies

Troutman
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Troutman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Image
Image
Simms G4 Zip ups are great imo. Going on 2 years no issue's fish about 180 days out of the year. In the winter I just use UnderAmor as a liner. Keeps me toasted warm.
My 2nd choice is Redington pro's hd zip ups these are my back up when I do Pulaski NY & upper delaware south branch. They are not a flexible as the G4's but they have held solid for a few years now.
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
coaltrout
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by coaltrout » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 pm

My last pair got cracks in the rubber boots. No matter what I did with shoe glue / shoe gloo it wouldn't stop leaks.

What I did, because they were small leaks, was were heavy duty trash bags over my pants, then slipped my legs into the waders. The cold water would never get to my wool socks/sweat pants and I stayed dry (other than my sweat) The cold water would chill just a bit through the trash bags but nothing bad.

I got a new pair now and do the same just in case I get a random leak while fishing. It also makes getting them off and on a lot easier as the trash bags are smooth and reduce friction. Similarly some waders would bother me around the ankles/calves due to friction (loose pair) and the trash bags helped with friction there too.

So I too will settle on cheap neoprene waders. I know how to patch small pin holes with shoo gloo. Seam leaks are tough tho but that only happened on this old pair my friend gave me.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am

coaltrout wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 pm
My last pair got cracks in the rubber boots. No matter what I did with shoe glue / shoe gloo it wouldn't stop leaks.

What I did, because they were small leaks, was were heavy duty trash bags over my pants, then slipped my legs into the waders. The cold water would never get to my wool socks/sweat pants and I stayed dry (other than my sweat) The cold water would chill just a bit through the trash bags but nothing bad.

I got a new pair now and do the same just in case I get a random leak while fishing. It also makes getting them off and on a lot easier as the trash bags are smooth and reduce friction. Similarly some waders would bother me around the ankles/calves due to friction (loose pair) and the trash bags helped with friction there too.

So I too will settle on cheap neoprene waders. I know how to patch small pin holes with shoo gloo. Seam leaks are tough tho but that only happened on this old pair my friend gave me.
I'm not sure any company manufactures a decent bootfoot wader. They are all 100% crap IMO. There is a reason that they are cheap and nobody except the most casual angler buys them in the last 20 + years. Go stocking foot with wading boots and all that uncomfortableness will be gone and the rubber boots won't dry out and crack.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
coaltrout
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by coaltrout » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:27 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am

I'm not sure any company manufactures a decent bootfoot wader. They are all 100% crap IMO. There is a reason that they are cheap and nobody except the most casual angler buys them in the last 20 + years. Go stocking foot with wading boots and all that uncomfortableness will be gone and the rubber boots won't dry out and crack.
I see. I think my next pair will be stocking foot. Never even tried one before. Curious to see the difference. Ive had good luck with rubber boots other than that last pair which I left in a garage all summer, and the garage would always be a lot hotter than the actual house temp.
Any specific boots and waders you recommend, Rusty? Ill take note for future purchase

robtf
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by robtf » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
coaltrout wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 pm
My last pair got cracks in the rubber boots. No matter what I did with shoe glue / shoe gloo it wouldn't stop leaks.

What I did, because they were small leaks, was were heavy duty trash bags over my pants, then slipped my legs into the waders. The cold water would never get to my wool socks/sweat pants and I stayed dry (other than my sweat) The cold water would chill just a bit through the trash bags but nothing bad.

I got a new pair now and do the same just in case I get a random leak while fishing. It also makes getting them off and on a lot easier as the trash bags are smooth and reduce friction. Similarly some waders would bother me around the ankles/calves due to friction (loose pair) and the trash bags helped with friction there too.

So I too will settle on cheap neoprene waders. I know how to patch small pin holes with shoo gloo. Seam leaks are tough tho but that only happened on this old pair my friend gave me.
I'm not sure any company manufactures a decent bootfoot wader. They are all 100% crap IMO. There is a reason that they are cheap and nobody except the most casual angler buys them in the last 20 + years. Go stocking foot with wading boots and all that uncomfortableness will be gone and the rubber boots won't dry out and crack.
which drives me nuts, as I've yet to find a way to *really* keep sand out of my boots for stocking foot waders, all yuz who claim otherwise be damned ! :D
----

living in the land of clammies

Post Reply