Shad Fishing

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
justin.czu

Shad Fishing

Post by justin.czu » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:18 am

Do you all get out and shad fish a lot? Do you have any recommendations for line weight and lures (other than shad darts)? I have never been out before and I am thinking about giving it a shot this year on the Delaware.

PortMurrayAng

Re: Shad Fishing

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:59 am

I second Justin's question. Been meaning to give shad a try, but have never made it out.

Vance

Post by Vance » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:49 am

Hi, If I remember right back many years ago when I lived just outside of Milford,Pa. I tied up some shad flies. Tail was a hot pink, hackle also hot pink (wet style) and body was silver tinsel on a size 8 or size 6 nymph hook. Another was bright yellow hackle and tail with a silver body on a 4,6,or 8 size hook. I would fish from Milford up stream to Calicon,NY. Find a place to park by the river and start fishing. They are fun to catch and fight like crazy. Bill the mailman

BiggerThomas
Location: Wherever somebody's struggling to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 pm

I am actually hoping to go for the first time this year. One of my friends lives along the river and said he'll let me know when he starts seeing them. I'll post what I learn here as well.

But in the meantime I can share the title of a book by Princeton professor John McPhee that tells the story of the American Shad in the Delaware--The Founding Fish. If you like reading about history and fishing, you will enjoy that book.

Also, let me share a recipe for eating Shad burgers in case you haven't heard it before: First, prepare the Shad filet with light oil, seasoning, and garlic. Have some lemon wedges handy as well. Cook the Shad filet on a cedar plank for about 12 mins (low to medium heat). As you take it off the grill, throw out the Shad filet and eat the cedar plank.
God have Mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of.

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:03 pm

Founding Fish is a great book. Fishing and history rolled into one.

justin.czu

Post by justin.czu » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:47 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 pm
I am actually hoping to go for the first time this year. One of my friends lives along the river and said he'll let me know when he starts seeing them. I'll post what I learn here as well.

But in the meantime I can share the title of a book by Princeton professor John McPhee that tells the story of the American Shad in the Delaware--The Founding Fish. If you like reading about history and fishing, you will enjoy that book.

Also, let me share a recipe for eating Shad burgers in case you haven't heard it before: First, prepare the Shad filet with light oil, seasoning, and garlic. Have some lemon wedges handy as well. Cook the Shad filet on a cedar plank for about 12 mins (low to medium heat). As you take it off the grill, throw out the Shad filet and eat the cedar plank.

:D :D :D :D :D

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Will have to take ur word for it....never ate one and only caught a few by accident in Hancock...
Love it !!! Eat the plank

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:51 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:21 pm
Will have to take ur word for it....never ate one and only caught a few by accident in Hancock...
Love it !!! Eat the plank
That's the oldest shad recipe around! Works great for carp too! :)

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:39 pm

They are catching good numbers of shad already in the big D.....
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Do they take anything other than shad darts?